New NESes, ideas, development, etc

The linked documents are scans from (or in one case, a retype of) material from Numbers, Predictions, & War, first published in 1979 by T. N. Dupuy; T. N. Dupuy is himself dead, and the publishing company for this book, Bobbs-Merrill, is defunct, so this information is presented with the understanding that as long as it is not used for commercial interests, no laws are being broken in its transmission. You are of course invited to purchase the full book on Amazon, or perhaps a later book such as Understanding War. They're pretty cheap, though the availability seems to be going down over time.

Your uses for them, if any, are your own.

Nobody seems to be interested in working on the timeline for an AltHist NES, so I'm dropping the idea. I think there are already several of those around, so that's fine with me.

I just recently got Pokèmon X and a 3DS for my birthday a few days ago, and now that I've crushed the extremely innovative and well-designed but pathetically easy game (the new Exp Share is crazy OP), I was thinking of starting a Pokèmon related NES. I have two ideas related to that:

1. Some sort of character-based NES, either like a regular Pokèmon game or like the Mystery Dungeon series, where the Pokèmon are sentient.

2. An empire NES, either with no humans and some Pokèmon being the sentient rulers of nations, or a world simply with Pokèmon added to it.

Please tell me what you think.

"Enough of these silly niche ideas too specific to appeal to a broad group of NESers. What this forum needs is an NES where everything in the game is a Pokemans!"

... said mrrandomplayer, apparently.

"Enough of these silly niche ideas too specific to appeal to a broad group of NESers. What this forum needs is an NES where everything in the game is a Pokemans!"

... said mrrandomplayer, apparently.

I was saying that my AltHist brainstorming failed because there were already active AltHist NESes. It could have humans and the Pokèmon could be a complement, or not. I'm just saying that I think it is a neat idea and could be explored more. I have played on a very successful Pokèmon game on the Magic the Gathering forums, so I know that it is doable.

Of course, snarky, insubstantial comments are also productive ways of getting things done, at least for LOE.

Admittedly I come across as harsh, but I should clarify this isn't somehow my personal vendetta against you. A Pokemon NES doesn't really satisfy any need the community has and the energy and time invested in it could be better channeled to other things, read: your alt-historical NES.

I would have liked to see an actual timeline for that developed up to 1900ish, maybe.

A Pokemon NES doesn't really satisfy any need the community has

Methinks that depends on whether or not people want to play in a one (as for "the community" as separate from the people in it, it has need for any games period). I don't because I don't know your pokymens, but it seems a lot of people here do.

Admittedly I come across as harsh, but I should clarify this isn't somehow my personal vendetta against you. A Pokemon NES doesn't really satisfy any need the community has and the energy and time invested in it could be better channeled to other things, read: your alt-historical NES.

I would have liked to see an actual timeline for that developed up to 1900ish, maybe.

I'm still going to work on the timeline, it will just be in my free time. I don't think the subject of a NES has to do with how good it will be (unless it is intentionally a massive joke), it is determined by player interest, so if people do express interest, great. If not, nobody loses anything. I could see a game with my idea working out very well or not working out at all, and in the end it really depends on whether people want it or not. The point of this thread is to test the waters to see if NES ideas hold water.

I can't use excel beyond arranging some data, but both of dis' ideas are really interesting.

I would be up for the GodNES.

And I love the Pokémon games but I don't see them in a NES.

Test of Concept

Hints:
-Works best in full screen
-Flags and symbols on map show things of interest, zoom on these things to read notes of interest.
-Click to zoom; click on flags/symbols to immediately zoom to them.
-Map can be dragged around while zoomed.
-If you get stuck and want to zoom out just hit left or right arrow key. On any finalized version that will immediately take you up a zoom level, on this test of concept you might have to hit the arrow key a couple of times to get back to where you want.
-You can also click through it like a normal slide show if you are one of those people who want to make sure they read everything.

yes oh yes. You can code that? How would it work?

So I've been thinking of MAYBE starting a new NES project, for rollout sometime october when I have some free time to finish the build (SysNES2 will not be coming back). This whole "Death of NESing" malarky isn't filling me with optimism though.

Common to both ideas:
  • Will have a more computer game-y feel than a more typical NES to decrease simulationist workload.
  • Automated order generation: you fiddle with your local spreadsheet and it'll spit out a text file for your submission. This will require a copy of Excel with macros enabled as a requirement to play.
  • Will be a 2d single planet world map, with a province based information model.
  • An automated economic system with discrete trade goods
  • Even more social policy settings than SysNES2 :p
  • No player controlled battles as in SysNES, instead players will be able to set tactical options which are then simulated against each other (pokeArmies).
  • No tech trees or levels, instead things will unlock globally and percolate out from cutting edge nations.
  • Update timestep of 1/2 year (so there will be different winter and summer resource and terrain maps), will gearshift to five year jumps on whim.
  • If people other than players want to write stories or send ideas for events, they will be worked into the narrative (gotta get dat RNG somehow)

IDEA 1: Planetary Colonisation!
  • SMAC like obviously ;). Planet will be 'semi'-habitable.
  • Set early on in the SysNES timeline
  • Very limited player count (5-6 max)
  • PvE from trying to stay alive and attempting to build and terraform, PvP conflict to emerge (or not) organically over resource limitations and terraforming goals (piece an aquifer to water a river valley and flood your downstream neighbours land :3 etc)
  • Few primary goods in the economic model, more secondary ones.
  • Dorf Fortress like pre-game game of deciding what to bring.
  • Settlers of Catan like pre-game game of deciding where you're going to drop your landers.
  • A tincture of transhumanism at first, possibly more later (though of the SysNES style)

IDEA 2:peshawar Lancers Ice Age Scenario!
  • An Impact in the atlantic in 19th century causes massive devastation, followed by climate cooling. Some nations die, some relocate, some strange chimeras born. The game will be set a hundred years or so after the Impact.
  • More flexible player count
  • PvE from trying to keep your population alive and economy going in a climate that is steadily changing (and for the most part worsening), PvP fights over limited resources and living space. NES 'winner' is determined by current citizens:starting citizens ;)
  • Simpler military options than idea 1
  • More primary goods in the economic model, fewer secondary ones.
  • Less tech development options, more social ones ;).
  • More opportunity to be violent and vicious to your depraved hearts content.

IDEA 2b: Same as 2 but restricted to North America
  • Very limited player count
  • Gone with if I feel like the player count in (2) is to high or (1) turns out to be too fiddly

Thoughts?

You know I'll play in anything you mod, you old curmudgeon. With that said, I also prefer 1 and suggest you expand it to a solar system or a habitable planet and its moon to accommodate 10-12 players. Since if you're really capping it at 6, feelings will be hurt. :p

Test of Concept

Hints:
-Works best in full screen
-Flags and symbols on map show things of interest, zoom on these things to read notes of interest.
-Click to zoom; click on flags/symbols to immediately zoom to them.
-Map can be dragged around while zoomed.
-If you get stuck and want to zoom out just hit left or right arrow key. On any finalized version that will immediately take you up a zoom level, on this test of concept you might have to hit the arrow key a couple of times to get back to where you want.
-You can also click through it like a normal slide show if you are one of those people who want to make sure they read everything.

This is also pretty fascinating. We'd need some recommended reading for the players to maintain historical veracity, I think. But consider me highly interested.

both sound convoluted, but idea 1 is similar in setting to a beyond earth nes i've been planning (but haven't started on the rules for, though i'll probably just blatantly steal them from other people anyway).
so i guess idea 1, just because i've been thinking about that stuff a lot lately.

In which NESing is turned into a video game.

both sound convoluted, but idea 1 is similar in setting to a beyond earth nes i've been planning (but haven't started on the rules for, though i'll probably just blatantly steal them from other people anyway).
so i guess idea 1, just because i've been thinking about that stuff a lot lately.

Same here. :D

In which NESing is turned into a video game.
He said, shocked, shocked, that an activity that grew out of a video game, on a website about a video game, could possibly have adherents who really wanted something more video game like and less the arbitrary decisions of people made with little to no research.

He said, shocked, shocked, that an activity that grew out of a video game, on a website about a video game, could possibly have adherents who really wanted something more video game like and less the arbitrary decisions of people made with little to no research.

Same thing.

Nah, one is an institutionalized set of arbitrary decisions that are the same every time. The other is a set that changes with the weather.

Top Bottom