Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you install BUG "single player" mode into CustomAssets directory, MP games will ignore it, and you can share those games on the forums. To play PBEM games in vanilla BTS simply rename CustomAssets so the game doesn't see BUG. Delete the folder that gets created (it will be full of empty folders) and rename back to get BUG going again.

BUG will not have any impact on your pbem or MP games as long as you haven't installed it over the base game (ie over-written files). If you have installed it single player (ie in custom assets) or multiplayer (ie as a mod), then the game will not let it install when you start a MP / pbem game unless every player has it installed in multiplayer mod and starts the game with that mod.

Note that even then, there can be MP / pbem version conflict issues.

EDIT: pbem games ignore customassets except for the art items (ie blue marble).

OK, thanks!

I ran into the following problem today:

I tried to load a save I received from a friend who has installed BUG 4.4 using the Multiplayer Option.

I got the error message (within Civ)

"The save file you have selected requires the following mod to be loaded:
Mods/BUG Mod 4.4/
The application must restart, ok?"

and clicked Ok

Civ closed and reloaded. The reload always ends in a black screen (just where you'd normally expect the first selection screen).

After closing Civ, I noticed I got a little window labeled "Mod Error" in the background stating

"Mods/BUG Mod 4.4/ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring".

I suppose this is because I installed BUG in Single Player Mode (first of the three options) and my friend used Multiplayer?

So I de-installed BUG, rebooted and wanted to re-install it using "Multiplayer mode" (third option), but right at the start I got an error window:

(I translate this from German...)

Error overwriting the file C:/Program Files (x86)/2K Games/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete/Beyond the Sword/mods/BUG Mod 4.4/Assets/Art/BUG/Arm.dds"

Retry does not work, Ignore steps to the same message for the next .dds file and so on.

If I select the first option again, the install runs through fine, but I still can't load the save I need to load.

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

P.S.: Yes, I did manually delete all the Sub-Directories BUG had created prior to the tried re-install...

Problem solved. Install worked after using Admin rights when starting the install prog.

Glad you got it working. Here are two other suggestions.

1. You can have BUG installed both in SP and MP mode as long as you are using the same version of BUG for both.

2. Even better, you can install BUG in SP mode and then create an empty directory called "BUG Mod 4.4" in your Mods folder to trick Civ4 into thinking BUG is installed as a mod. You might have to start a quick game using the mod loaded from the ADVANCED : LOAD A MOD screen and then modify the "BUG Mod 4.4.ini" file it creates to set NoCustomAsses to 0. You only need to do this if that first game you start doesn't have BUG features enabled.

Sorry for this stupid question, I've got BAT and don't know how to change the (interface) colour. Help?
That feature isn't in BAT. It is in CivScale or Lemon Merchant has a HUD (head up display) changer - check her signature.

Hey guys, possibly a non-Civ question but I'm having a problem with BULL. I got a new PC and reinstalled Civ4, BTS, patched it to 3.19, installed BUG 4.4 and tried to follow the steps to install BULL. I rename the CivGameCoreDLL.dll file but when I go to copy the BULL CivGameCore dll file in the BTS Assets folder, my PC won't let me copy the file.

As administrator, I enter my password to authorize the copy I see it being copied but the file doesn't end up in the folder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

how? always good to know the answer.

The answer is 42, ruff. It always has been. :p

ok, smarty pants ... what is the question?
Spoiler :
6 x 8 - always thought there was something wrong with the universe.

Hi.I downloaded the bug mod from herehttp://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/BUGMod.html
I run the exe and install it,but nothing change.I installed it as "principal mod" but i m not able to play it neither to load it as a mod.
Could someone please help me?

Are you sure that nothing changed? There's no splash screen or anything to tell you BUG is loaded. Try hitting CTRL-ALT-O in game to bring up the BUG menu. That will tell you if it is installed properly.

If that doesn't work, uninstall it (using the installer. Don't just delete it.) and reinstall it to Custom Assets. It's an option in the installer's menu.

Are you sure that nothing changed? There's no splash screen or anything to tell you BUG is loaded. Try hitting CTRL-ALT-O in game to bring up the BUG menu. That will tell you if it is installed properly.

If that doesn't work, uninstall it (using the installer. Don't just delete it.) and reinstall it to Custom Assets. It's an option in the installer's menu.

Yes I get no splash screen and no option for the mod(I tried the ctrl-alt-o)
Also if i look at info,it tells no mod loaded.The only think i could get til now it's that after a cuople of install/uninstall the game crash on the exit...so sad.
Anyway I noticed that the .exe install in Document/My Games... while all the other mods that comes with civ are in the installation dir...could be this?
I really don't know what to do anymore,I tried both installation(Single player-Custom assets folder and Single player with AltRoot)...the only remaining is for multi...

I have problems with BUG and BUFFY.

What I did:
1) Install civ4 bts 3.17
2) patched to 3.19
3) install latest buffy for HoF\gotm games
4) install BAT for single player games
5) Install BUG to be able to share games on boards (first option on install menu = custom assets folder).

The result:
1) It seems like BUG is not working at all. The game looks like umodded BtS, no icons for customize BUG, no aditional infos etc.
2) After instalation of BUG there are problems with Buffy - the game leaves to desktop with no error mesage after either loading a game or starting a new one. That means when I start BUFFY I am able only to start first game or first savegame, but not the second.

What is wrong? How to fix it? How to have these 3 mods installed without having problems with any of it?

BAT won't affect the operation of BUG or BUFFY, so you don't need to worry about that. BUFFY should install in the \Mods directory, so it shouldn't interact with BUG, at least mine doesn't.

Are you sure that you're patched to 3.19? And which version of BUG and BUFFY are you running? What OS are you using? There is a fix for BUFFY when running on Windows 7/Vista. You can find that in the HoF forums, or here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Press CTRL-ALT-O while in game to see if BUG is running.

A little more information would help.

I'm currently merging BUG into my mod and it seems Civ4lert is giving me trouble. Every time I edit a Python file and the game reloads it, I get the following exceptions:
Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugEventManager", line 390, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "Civ4lerts", line 748, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 766, in _getMaxGoldTrade
AttributeError: GoldTrade instance has no attribute 'maxGoldTrade'
File "Civ4lerts", line 786, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 805, in _getMaxGoldPerTurnTrade
AttributeError: GoldPerTurnTrade instance has no attribute 'maxGoldPerTurnTrade'
File "Civ4lerts", line 826, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 858, in check
AttributeError: RefusesToTalk instance has no attribute 'refusals'
File "Civ4lerts", line 895, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 932, in check
AttributeError: WorstEnemy instance has no attribute 'enemies'

It seems like the underlying object isn't properly initialized in this situation. Is that because I left something out?

I'm currently merging BUG into my mod and it seems Civ4lert is giving me trouble. Every time I edit a Python file and the game reloads it, I get the following exceptions:
Spoiler :
File "Civ4lerts", line 748, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 766, in _getMaxGoldTrade
AttributeError: GoldTrade instance has no attribute 'maxGoldTrade'
File "Civ4lerts", line 786, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 805, in _getMaxGoldPerTurnTrade
AttributeError: GoldPerTurnTrade instance has no attribute 'maxGoldPerTurnTrade'
File "Civ4lerts", line 826, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 858, in check
AttributeError: RefusesToTalk instance has no attribute 'refusals'
File "Civ4lerts", line 895, in onBeginActivePlayerTurn
File "Civ4lerts", line 932, in check
AttributeError: WorstEnemy instance has no attribute 'enemies'

It seems like the underlying object isn't properly initialized in this situation. Is that because I left something out?
I had that happen to me last week, as well. Which Python file are you editing? Mine was cured by just reloading the game, and it was after I let the game sit by alt-tabbing out for a couple of hours. It hasn't done it again. I was editing CvMainInterface.py, if that helps.

Top Bottom