TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Spoiler Current Map :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great! So far, I'd like somethings for the people who don't have anything yet, and more people in India/China (and America if Abaddon puts up something) to fill it out. Right now, the map is just for saving starts; your starting territories will look similiar, but larger/smaller depending on Civ Zones and history.

Also, I want you guys to critique the style a bit; for the eastern Maps I cleaned the rivers and cities, while for the western Civs I just pasted it in on a different layer. Also, is White OK or do you guys prefer black borders? I am thinking of dropping 2 black dots per rural, and just putting them where there are some rural settlements instead, to mark the difference between some base income (pasture land, limberyards, mines ect) and wastelands.

@ Abaddon, yes, American start is OK, but I'd like if you would rope in some other players too!

@ Eltain, won't be a problem; I'll keep that in mind. If you ever need an NPC I'll accept attempt to play along your chosen path. Remember, I'll be handing out 3 strikes for those who don't warn me of problems!

@ Tycho and Others
What happens depends entirely on your actions from now on. (and, well, my reaction :p). Are there Etruscans between you who are constantly invaded, or did both of you hold sway over large confederacies outside of your Nation proper you must protect? How much and how often do you even see each other? (remember, 5000 years ago. :)). For everyone, on update 0 there will be NO NPCs, and you don't have to plan for any at that time; expansion is limited by investment and how much you are willing to attempt to assimilate, trade is limited by how many peaceful NPCs you can find. However, your actions on Turn 1 will affect your NPCs, whether they are peaceful, aggressive, or just paranoid. (I promise that no one will only get one type).

Those in red zones have to be aware that even on Turn 0, there will be some rather significant towns next to them, and their treatment of said towns will hold sway on the next generation of neighbors.

Also, if I happen to mess up placement, or if you want your city on the other side of the river/whatever, just tell me via VM (visitor message). I am trying to save PMs for things that really need to be private (such as projects).

Map looks really good, exactly where I was hoping to be placed :). Black borders might obscure bits of the map, but that will be rather minor.

Hey guys, I'm new to this, but I would like to try.

Nation/Player: Aramya - Stockholme

Color: Chartreuse Green

Location: Base of the Euphrates/Tigris River System, near the coast, between the rivers.

Background: Since the advent of agriculture village sized clans had began settling lower Mesopotamia. Of the settled lands, the city of Danae grew the fastest, advancing their farms to dominate the region's economy. Under the leadership of a freed slave, the other clans were subjugated and assimilated into the united region, Aramya, the exalted state.

Welcome to the forums! :band:

@Terrance: Map looks great! I'd stick with the white borders, to be honest.

Welcome Stockholme to NESing! If you have any questions, most of us are glad to help. :)

Good starting post. For your nation, does the Freed Slave mean that it is a Meritocracy (best people move up the government) Dictatorship (lead a coup and then conquered neighbors) or something else entirely?

@ Olaf, thanks. Should I clean up the color on the water/cities like China/India, or should I let it spill over like at Greece? (don't worry, I'm using layers of protection)

Clean it up on the water and cities I guess. Your choice though.

Freed slave was primarily for cultural precedent, makes for a nice religious founding myth. The government would be built up on the allies of the freed slave, those who fought with him for control of the region, regardless of merit.

The water on the map needs some fixing, and I honestly think no one needs borders until two civilizations actually meet on the map. Also, why are there borders and territorial shading over water?

Everything is peachy thus far. Keep calm and carry on.

Freed slave was primarily for cultural precedent, makes for a nice religious founding myth. The government would be built up on the allies of the freed slave, those who fought with him for control of the region, regardless of merit.

Thanks for explaining your government to me. Time to start the story.

The water on the map needs some fixing, and I honestly think no one needs borders until two civilizations actually meet on the map. Also, why are there borders and territorial shading over water?

The water on the map... what do you suggest? Do you want me to clean up all the rivers? (and add about an Hour to the map updating time?). Do you want me to stop shading over water for nearby islands? As for the borders, well, I just don't like how they merge into the countryside on my first map you critiqued earlier. For the over water thing at Athens, I promise I would only do that for close-by islands and such, and only to save some time as well give a nice sense of naval control.

Keep up the criticism. :)

So we each start out with only one city?

Yup. However, you can have as many "towns" or whatever in your stories/orders. You gotta have a quite a decent amalgam of people willing to trade and craft for me to count it as a city. Although cities will grow naturally throughout time, the best way to get more is A) Actions to encourage people to settle within urban areas and hope a city pops up faster B) actually spending for a city (still must have reasons why they would even want to settle that area) or C) writing stories about your people colonizing and trading.

To solve the water problem, go back to the original map and make sure you save it as a .png file (.jpeg files mess with solid colors). As for shading, just shade in land masses...it isn't hard. If an island isn't visible on the map, it isn't worth jack.

I am working with Paint.net files for the layering, but I'll try .PNG the next time I'll uploaded. For the islands, I am talking about the visible ones. Not gonna shade and reshade Indonesia every time someone has the notion to try to conquer it. However, if it really bugs you and other people I'll probably just clean it up.

Kingdom of Zimbabwe/BSmith1068
Color: Red (or whatever works for the map)
Location: Central present day Zimbabwe (south of the Zambezi and just west of the mountains that are due west of the mouth of the Zambezi.
Background: Will fill in later.

Terrance. Add a big white layer bellow all the rest. Color on it, while the mountains are semi-transparent. You will get coloring only within the land and not on rivers or sea.

Terrance I like the shade over water. It's transparent so who cares? It makes it easier to update and easier to see who owns what islands, which has always been a problem for me. Just an opinion.

Shading does indeed show who owns what islands, which can be handy when two or more people are near island chains.

Hey Guys.

Just want to say that not only is the next post reserved for my update :)p) but also that all the neighboring cultures I'm making up are for you to describe and interact with after this update, and I'll be totally fine and would love for you to do that. If you want to start within a "described culture" zone and want to make some changes, again, please do so! The world is your oyster, I am just setting all the sand particles necessary for the pearls to form. :)

Finished China, tackling India and Mesopotamia, then going for Africa with the Aegean last. Zeletdude, I'll let you get your culture in via PM if you want.

Update definatly tomarrow. Finishing Asia tonight.

Top Bottom