TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Hey Guys.

Just want to say that not only is the next post reserved for my update :)p) but also that all the neighboring cultures I'm making up are for you to describe and interact with after this update, and I'll be totally fine and would love for you to do that. If you want to start within a "described culture" zone and want to make some changes, again, please do so! The world is your oyster, I am just setting all the sand particles necessary for the pearls to form. :)

Finished China, tackling India and Mesopotamia, then going for Africa with the Aegean last. Zeletdude, I'll let you get your culture in via PM if you want.

Update definatly tomarrow. Finishing Asia tonight.

Really eager to start this NES, and with nothing to do tomorrow very much I will definitely be waiting for it :).

Update 0
The Rise of Civilization
Dawn of Time-Early Bronze Age
According to some, time flows in a line. According to others, it flows in a circle.

I say it corkscrews around, as in it keeps repeating, moves forward, and screws everyone who tries to define it. What are you expecting, SimCivilization? This is a Civil Experiment, where people are just starting to test out systems of government bigger than a city state, and you are my guinea pigs. Enjoy the ride!

Asia
Never fight a land war in Asia only follows if you try-stupidly-to take all of it. Then you get people doing just that. Humans are such idiots.

China

Having a unified china is like having a completely Latinized Europe; except people expect it of China to happen.
Xilaroi were a strong clan, a powerful clan, a rich merchant clan. The Yellow river, heart of China, is also the heart of conflict. It’s rich silt quickly splintered the peace of the early villages, and its floods produced hordes of hungry peasants. The Xilaroi were able to conquer the largest kingdom yet at the mouth of the river, institute reforms, and declare themselves Emperor. However, much of the river remains unconquered, and unchinese peoples from the north and the south are appearing on the borders of this young Empire.
Of the Xilaroi, their home city, Xilatang, dominates the trade at the delta and the fishing fleets of the yellow sea. Their Emperor rules by the common consent of power, and allows many freedoms for his people. However, all know that he has countless men in his pay, and the few who would dissent against him decide to stay silent because of that. They have a bright future if they can continue their brilliant leadership in the conquest of China.
The other Chinese City States are obviously alarmed by this development, but no trust between them will allow them to band together. City walls can only do so much if the siege cannot be broken by allies. The growing trading center of Puyang and the mining center of Qi’an might be able to rally their fellows if the Emperor forces his hand to fast, or if the Xiong tribes are able to win a decisive victory.
The Man Tribes to the south of the Han Chinese are growing in population. They have stolen the knowledge of the plow, agriculture and metalworking and are organizing in ever larger groups. Expansion against them will be meet by general approval of the Chinese people, but assimilating them might prove even more difficult. They are currently unorganized and unaggressive.
The Xiong Tribes to the north, however, are another story. Driven by tales of rich cities and unprotected farms, they migrated from deep within the Mongolian plains. The current raiders are just those displaced by the migration, which might take another 100 years to arrive. However, they might pressure the City states to band together, or Xilaroi to act quickly. The current migrants are unorganized, but very aggressive. However, their current stone weapons are easily defeated by almost any warrior. Their strength lies in their numbers.
India

Mesopotamia
What's it like being called the land between the rivers? How would you like your planet being called the speck floating around AverageStar Averagus?

The Aramyans of Danae dominate southern Sumer while Sumerian cities such as Ur and Kish complain. The Sumerians never trusted each other; it took the Charisma of a freedslave to mobilize the south to unite under Danae. From the hills of Iran, the Elamites are slowly learning the secret of bronze and testing the process of agriculture on their arid hills, for centuries they have traded with the Sumerians, but the recent sightings of bronze weapons frighten some merchants.
The Aramyans, the Exalted State, beams in its achievement despite the grumbling of their newer subjects. As legend says, a freed slave won a contest of wit and became the head of Danae, the largest village. Quickly conquering its neighbors, he turned Danae into a superpower on par with Ur. Before he died, he sent his reorganized army to reach the sea; this they did with great success. Now it is many years later, and a hereditary bureaucracy rules Aramya, composed of the sons of the Legendary’s favorite generals and advisors. Their army is slight rusty from lack of practice, but trade booms and agriculture grows.
The Sumerians to their north mostly wish to preserve their independence and their squabbling God Kings. Ur and Kish usually avoided dealing with the Aramans. The other minor cities rule by their own consciences. It is a region of immense turmoil compared to the tranquil and almost eire peace (for them) of Aramya.
The Elamites were shepherd tribes who settled down tot trade with Danae and the Aramyans. They soon begun borrowing technology and developing agriculture. They are relatively uncultured and unorganized, but they can be trusted to have a few hothead warlords to attempt raids every few seasons.

India
I'm an old fashioned guy. To me, this will always be Hindustan.

The Indus Valley becomes dominated by the Dakinsa Rajdom, to the annoyance of Harrapa and Dohenjo-Daro to the north. Most of the cities live their lives peacefully, but many are joining the Rajdom one by one. To the west are the Baluchi people, nomads and raiders. To the south are the Gujarati tribes, adept fishermen and tradespeople. If Dakinsa Raj seeks to expand its influence, it must always look over one shoulder.
The Dakinsa Rajdom has a unique government, where the Raj chooses his governors, who would choose the next Raj. Their control of the country is fair yet limited, the Raj himself mostly controlling Dakinsa, the dominant city, and it’s army. With many neighbors and internal factions to deal with, the Raj must balance all factors to move forward.
The Indus city states are peaceful compared to those of other civilizations. The threat of the flood unites them to repair the limited but growing dikeworks currently available. Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa, the two former stars of the valley, are jealous of the power of the Dakinsa Raj but yet powerless to do much.
The Baluchis are a mountain raiding people, mostly armed with stone and copper, with a scattering of traded or captured bronze weapons. Living on their herding most times, they might prove a threat… if they somehow organize.
The Gujarati tribes spread to the east of the valley, relying almost entirely on fishing and trading with Dakinsa. Their culture is based off of, but very different from the Indus culture. Their ships ply the seas and their forges have mastered bronze, and they might prove to be the perfect trading partners or punching bags.

Europe
Never knew why people like Simming europe. There are better records of China, more interesting diplomacy in the Middle East, and more interesting culture in India. Tradition, I guess.

Italia
Thank Romans for god, I mean Thank God for Romans.
Italia is dominated by various groups of people at this time. First, we have the two native cultures; the Vallavalians to the North and the Samnites to the south. Each of these have their major tribes, but the most significant is the Sarkovites of Vallarvale, an Etruscan city state gaining control of the trade routes between the two peoples. The Ctyrians, on the other hand, were migrants. One of the people to successfully push through the Alps, they conquered the Rtasian (Po River) Vallavalian cities before dispersing, with their main power focused at the city-fortress of Ctesiphod.
Of the three peoples, the Vallarvalians are the most cultured, with advanced arts and crafts and living rather peaceful lives. When they fight they raise a militia of their brave farmers to supplement their Royal Guardsmen. At Sarkov a strong, centralized merchant city was built on the important trade route between their people and the Samnites; they controlled the main ford on the Tiber and many small watercrafts on the river as well.
The Samnites to the south are more disorganized and aggressive, but often appear to trade for the Vallarvalian crafts. Their culture is mostly unknown.
The Ctesiphod now dominates the Rtas. A fortress-city, it controls trade with other Ctyrian tribes and occupied cities, and it defends the passes their people once poured through from. If it feels like it, it can easily raise a mass of militia from allied tribes to support their warriors. However, most Ctyrians live in scattered tribes much like the Samnites. They just enjoy the opportunities of a new life the fertile valley gave them. They have yet to distinguish their unique culture.
The lands between Ctesiphod and Sarkov is a mixture of Ctyrian colonists and Vallarvalian city states, fighting minor wars and often seeking aid from the two stronger powers. How Italy will resolve will be of interest to all.

The Aegean
What a load of Geeks, I mean Greeks, whatever.
The Aegean is dominated by trade. The shallow seas, balmy temperatures and many islands served to make the people comparably gentle, with wars mostly contests between the various gentlemen. On the Greek Peninsula, Thorlyn built the largest and the most prosperous of the states, boasting a large fleet (and hiding their meager warriors to the side). On Anatolia, Lyr and the Gyrids dominate with their centralized army, easily fending off looser trading confederations around them.
Thorlyn predominates trade on the Aegean, but must accept local monopolies as well. They have a strong fleet to defend their interests, and a oligarchian tradition which leads to a merchant-dominated interest. Their army is large compared to many neighbors, and very centralized and well paid, but it is weak compared to other states.
Greece is dominated by Thorlyn trade, but not by Thorlyn politics. Thebes dominates the Boeotian Confederacy, and therefore the northern citystates while Sparta’s strong, yet growing army cows their neighbors. Thorlyn must either convert soft power to hard power, or increase the flow of soft power, to advance territories on Greece. They can also choose to create colonies on far off lands which they explored and traded for centuries.
The Gyrids are a new state with an old culture. Once, Lyr (along with Ceris and Troy) was simply the largest and meanest trading post among many. However, unlike Ceris and Troy, they decided to control their friends before messing around with their actual enemies. The House Gyr slowly built their influence and centralized the trading confederacy, forming the Gyrid nation. Distinguishing from their neighbors, they use their strong economic clout to form a large army which they are not afraid to use.
The two other confederacies, the Illian lead by Troy and the Phygian lead by Ceris are not amused. However, they spent most of their time in petty disputes among themselves when not trading. Troy to the north dominates the wheat trade across Bithyia and the north, while Phygian controls deposites of gold.

Africa​
The Birthplace and the Trashheap of Humanity. Such disrespect

Pharoahsa
The only Civilization I respect is Egypt. I mean, they are so awesome future people blame us for their awesomeness! Really!
The King of Anor declared himself Pharaoh after he defeated an Egyptian rival across the river. His son quickly expanded through the power vacuum, but slowly met other regional powers. Unwilling to commit his still small force, he spent the rest of his days gathering his treasury and training his troops.
The Grandson of the first Pharaoh, Rezzamus, is much bolder. He unrolled his map of all of the lands of Egypt. He, with Anor and his forefather’s conquests, controlled half of lower Egypt. The Lower Egyptian Delta is dominated by the coastal city of Damietta and the agricultural fortress Avaris. The sands of Middle Egypt is still dominated by petty city states and towns, but the trading nexus of Aysut, controlling both sides of the Nile and a trade route to the Red Sea, might offer leadership incase their idyllic life of farming and raiding is interrupted. The rocky vales of Upper Egypt are dominated by the twin forts of Aswan, guarding the shepherds and farms against the Nubians of the south. It stood imposingly just above the First Cataract. The large city of Thebes dominated the northern stretches of Upper Egypt, also controlling the gold mines and intermittent contact with the red sea. Each of these citystates are weak compared to Rezzamun’s realm of Pharoahsa, but if he doesn’t tread carefully, they can easily unite their regions in defiance.

Manden
You, yourself, and your shadow. Whatcha gonna conquer/trade (same difference) now?
The Manden’ka have slowly beaten away the Fez horde from the north over the years, and eventually their largest cities and towns were united into the Kingdom of Manden during the long war against the desert nomads. To the south, there are still some Manden’ka who, not affected by the Fez invasion directly, refused to join the Kingdom, although still trading with it. To the west lay various Fez successor states, ruling over slave castes of Manden’ka eager for rebellion.
The Manden Kingdom is a strong centralized kingdom unified by an age of war. Their armies are well trained and their people confident of their power. Agriculture powers the regrowth of population as the people adjust for peace, or for further war.
The Fez Kingdoms are composed of rough Fez noblemen and vast tribal areas to the north, centered on various conquered cities of Manden’ka who were lost. The former Manden’ka residents are mostly enslaved and pressed into large slave armies. Some in Manden consider the war not complete until all the Manden’ka are freed.
The Manden’kalas are those Manden chiefdoms who were spared the blunt of the invasion and thus, ignored the call to unite. They did send support over the years and continue to trade cordially with the new kingdom. Perhaps they might be convinced to join in the future; perhaps the Manden King is too impatient to wait.

Zimbabwe
A Nice civ, nice and quiet. Opps, I've just dropped a dictator.
Zimbabwe grew as a trading post in the center of the savanna, and the city itself funnels the trade from the southern plains to the northern farmland cities. To the south are various trading nomads and on the Zambezi are small farming villages and citystates. It lives an Idyllic and peaceful life, but remains dynamic and charged full of energy.

Spoiler Map :
[

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Phew, it's done.

I've just drew everything in broad strokes. Don't like my description? Change it by sending a better one in your orders! Don't like your neighbors? Write stories about them, and they will change as well. Like an area but don't like the local culture? Change it. As I've said, I'm pretty happy to let you do so!

I've given everyone an hopefully equal start with passive/agressive/civilized/nomadic barbs to deal with. I promise that no one will get invaded in update one. After that, it is fair game.

Also, the commentary is Alien. As I've said, prepare for spotty update quality, :)p) as in I change the format alot, not the fact they will all turn out moldy.

EDIT: Zelet is sending culture tomarrow, so then I will update the Aegean. Until then, it is a blackhole of ignorance.

Orders due Thursday Afternoon. Deadline at Saturday Morning. Those getting it in by Thursday get a bit of help with the "barbs".

Hate to do this after you just posted the update, but where am I?

Looks very good Terrance, I'll post some stories in a little while, maybe tomorrow :). I may be inactive on Monday, Tuesday, and possibly much of Wendesday.

Ah, that may explain the black blob then. :p

ha

Terrance I can't use the PM function, I don't have that privilege yet. How many posts do I require? Or is it a timer?

Just wander in off topic for a bit and give opinions. You'll get ten in no time.

Sorry, what is a Curragh? I rather like your style Terrance.

It's a small sailboat thing. Like a modern Yacht, and not one of those ridiculous ones multi-billionaires buy.

Basically, it's an early warship modified with some oars and a plow, but not specialized.

I was going to do a Canoe v.s. Raft in the earlier, but then I decided that most countries will just rely on their merchant fleet to do naval transport, and their actual navy will be used to defend that naval transport.

Also, thanks! I'll see if I can keep what you like while changing the styles until I find something I like. ;)

The story of the life of Nicata Ramana, the First of the Kings, as told by the historian Cyrrhus

It was never a taboo to fight. Inter-city raiding was neither frowned upon, nor the norm. It just was. When the warlord Nicata Ramana (so named for the shaman Ramen, of earlier fame) started recruiting men under his father's banner, no one blinked an eye.

However, Ramana's plans did not stop at raiding. Ramana's goals stretched the entire Rtasian valley, a goal many of his peers did not think realistic. True, Ramana did not believe he would do it all in his one lifetime. A mere 40 years give or take. It took at least 2 to besiege and capture a large town, and that was if allied counter-attacks were defeated at minimal loss to the besiegers. But Ramana had begun training his sons for the task from the moment of their births. The importance of food, scouts, and logistics were pounded into their heads from the day they turned 10, and fighting and commanding authority from the day they turned 15. From then on he bestowed them with his ideals for the governing of a large area of land, which they would enact later in life.

Ramana started his expansion initially with the capturing of the most fertile lands along the Rtas river, nearest the fortress of Ctesiphod. In his later years he turned his campaigning over to his twin sons Nicata Rgatas and Kapm, with equal control over the lands. After Ramana's death, Rgatas and Kapm divided the lands of Ctesiphod into two jurisdictions- the Nicatorum (Ctesiphod and it's immediate regions) to be ruled by the Nicata (the king), and the Rumens (other, smaller towns and their immediate regions) to be controlled by the Nicata's cousins.

Hey, if we get all orders in by Thursday Morning, I might have a surprise Thanksgiving update for you all! Stuffed in a turkey and wrapped in bacon and all that.

Great story Eltain. Liked your politics.

To all; I'll be working on a EQ-style "Guide for Civil Cultures" to help the many newish people I see here. If Hordes get unlocked, of course, the "Guide for Wandering Cultures" will also be posted. I'll add on it as I see more things to comment about.

The Vallarvale Valley. A place where the Vallarians formed and created their state, a place of prosperity and peace. Occupied for hundreds of years, they cultivated the lands and harvested the natural wealth of the seas, quarrying in the hills for precious stone and cutting down trees for timber to improve their capital of Valyria and work on building up the nation. The nobles that had ruled the city and the townships over time became princes and kings, building a political base for themselves that allowed them to control the nation however they pleased, working for the benefit of the people. Yes there were a few bad cases, but otherwise, the common king did his best to provide guidance to his people in a variety of ways.

But then the Ctyrian people arrived in what was the Sarkov peninsula, causing a heavy amount of combat to form between the two people as frequent border clasehes occurred. Many of these fights ended with large casualties on both sides, with no clear victors and the armies and levies of both sides being bled white through the continual assaults and attacks that the two sides planned and orchestrated against one another. Crops and fields were burned, towns razed, and the prizes of the strong spiritual facet in Vallarvalian life with the carved statues and finely sanded monuments to the spirits were burned. This would foster deep animosity between both the Vallarvalians and the Ctyrians.

A fractured peace between the Ctyrians and the Vallarvalians began as the Ctyrians settled further to the north, as though they were attempting to hem in the Valarians on the Sarkov peninsula. This peace was rather quiet, though after a fashion, the Ctyrians began short, well organized incursions into sovreign holdings, striking where they could. These incursions burned down holds and scattered the people, displacing thousands.

As a new age dawns upon Sarkov, the new king, Sarklov, seventh of his name and leader of the Greater Sarkovian Community prepares for what may appear over the horizon of this new age. War may soon come to Sarkov, but the Vallarvalians will be prepared, waiting for their time to strike and make their move.

OOC: Hope this is alright with Eltain

I planned on writing a story, but I'll wait for the next update as Arkham City is proving a worthy distraction.

Top Bottom