XCOM: Enemy Online

INTERMISSION 26

Grandkhan gets pole475's helmet to continue the legacy.

Germany is bombed by aliens and put into panic. We're not gonna be able to reduce the panic and keep it in line. Our laser weapons complete.

Of course, it wouldn't be XCOM if we didn't have a mission on the very last day. The aliens are trying to take all of Europe, and we have to delay their efforts to continue on to France.

And so, at long last, LOUDBOT is deployed. Also starring: BSmith1068.

MISSION 24: DEVIL'S STROKE

I'm glad I brought LOUDBOT for this mission. There's not a lot of cover on the right and you need something fearless.

[05:08:31] <+Masada> buuut I did enjoy them when i was younger
[05:08:39] <%SymphonyD> That can be immersive if you're simple.
[05:08:58] <%SymphonyD> GAMES GAMES BOWL
[05:08:58] <+LOUDBOT> I'M A YOUNG ADULT DAMMIT

[05:09:05] <%SymphonyD> Wow.
[05:09:19] <%SymphonyD> HELLO? ARE YOU IN THERE?
[05:09:19] <+LOUDBOT> BEEP BOOP

All the Meld.

Then we activate the 6 Thin Men.

[11:43:31] <%SymphonyD> YOU RACK INSIGHT
[11:43:32] <+LOUDBOT> SOUND BITE
[11:44:19] <%SymphonyD> SHAME CHATROOM
[11:44:20] <+LOUDBOT> LOOK WHAT YOU DID
[11:44:25] <%SymphonyD> YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MUST DO
[11:44:25] <+LOUDBOT> WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING SKYFALL RIGHT NOW?

We take out the ones on the left.

[05:22:10] <%SymphonyD> INFORMATION CONTROL
[05:22:10] <+LOUDBOT> NANOMACHINES

Ignoring LOUDBOT's murderous rampage, the Thin Men kill Owen Glyndwr.

19:46:30] <%fc> YEAH
[19:46:35] <%fc> I SAY WE BAN NOOB
[19:46:36] <+LOUDBOT> NO FC DONT
[19:46:41] <%fc> :O
[19:46:58] <bombshoo> well
[19:47:01] <bombshoo> loudbot vetos it
[19:47:03] <bombshoo> I guess
[19:47:34] <bombshoo> WHY SHOULD WE CARE WHAT LOUDBOT THINKS
[19:47:34] <+LOUDBOT> NO ALL OF THEM

If you just look at our team kill counts, we're still way ahead.

INTERMISSION 27

bestshot9 gains Opportunist. BSmith1068 becomes a Gunner.

We sell Elerium.

Advanced Aerospace Concepts completes, but we need a Foundry to use it, and for that we need power.

We lose Germany.

And that's May.

We've got a lot of wounded and not a lot of ranked soldiers.

We've got a lot of dead.

And we've got a mission to go on. Time to learn how these damn Medium UFOs work. Welcome to June.

RIP pole475. I shall wear your helmet proudly.

Now that I have a suitably tragic backstory, you shall all refer to me as xXx_420_Garrotte_SCOUT_xXx kthnx.

This is actually great to read through. I've never played XCOM and I'm still enjoying it. :p

Datpanzer's Private Journal

After Op: Cursed Crone, I watched them carry away what was left of the squad from the transport. They'd barely finished hosing it down when we got the call for the next mission. I was up. The sickly smell of blood hit my nasal passages, not quite overpowered by the smell of bleach and fuel.

Man, the in-flight vibrations still get to me. I swear I can feel all of those metal plates and stitches moving around. I'm not allowed painkillers. Gotta be sharp enough to aim my gun, right? To be honest I don't really feel the pain as a sensation anymore. I've given up listening to my nervous system. I only need my body to hold together for as long as possible. Every mission I make it through... That's some more people we might save.

Germany is all over the news. My mind goes to dark places sometimes... Is any of this worth it? Is it worth fighting, if everything goes to hell anyways? But, I always pull myself out of it. La guerre, c'est la vie.

The next mission was a blur. I can't remember if I even fired my weapon, it all happened so fast. I had brief glimpse of my homeland, then it was back to the transport... Back to the smell of blood, and another body bag. I never really knew Owen. But he seemed like a nice guy. I found myself staring at the american flag on his body bag for most of the trip home.

The 'Loudbot' scares me. Its almost like... They've taken the brains of our fallen comrades, and wired them up somehow into this armoured shell. Sometimes it seems too... Human. While the rest of us are becomming machines.

The merciless horrors we encounter on every mission... The friends we lose... How could one not lose part of one's humanity? Ironic, no, that is what we are fighting to defend after all.

I have four days rest, but most likely won't be on the roster again for a while. What do I do with this half-life? What can I commit myself to, knowing that my life may well end within weeks? That blissful release, the shot from nowhere that vaporises my cranium... Do I wish for death now?

Ah, perhaps I am going to dark places again. I'll go see if anyone wants to play cards and talk bullsh*t. Au revoir.

Symphony, have you corrected the alien/EXALT fast research bug in Long War? Further details here.

The EXALT missions are super-duper unbalanced in beta 9, but even so I doubt they should have gauss weapons in your first mission on normal difficulty.
This about sums it up:

[&#8211;]GaryofRiviera 2 points 10 days ago
My campaign makes a lot of sense now...
Fixed as of now.

I'm Danish. Huh.

Great to hear LOUDBOT's alive and kicking though!

One question, does it say that I killed myself with a shotgun?

One question, does it say that I killed myself with a shotgun?

After 18 kills. You saw a lot of combat. Maybe too much trauma to handle. Alone in the armoury one night, you chose to end the pain...

But we will always remember you as a comrade and a hero to all of humanity.

[interesting - ricochet damage? Hopefully Symph will explain!]

If you bleed out, the game counts your weapon as having killed you because I'm guessing coding in a unique death condition wasn't a huge priority.

Seems clearer now. I still think daftpanzer got it right though, 18 kills is too much to handle.

*censored*. Did I accidentally kill this thread by posting in it?

As the only one to post a story, I claim victory by default.

Beta 10 is out and considering Beta 9 needs to have a hex editor applied to it for MECs to equip other guns than their starter and for it to be used both before and after the final UFO shootdown to even beat the game (and the fact that the difficulty was unknowingly borked) I'm putting the kibosh on this campaign. There might be a Season 2. Maybe not.

(Probably not.)

Beta 12 will be out soonish which demonstrates the foolhardiness of running a whole campaign until development stabilizes.

P.S. Scouts rule.

Link to video.

Top Bottom