Can the AI see Subs with Tactical Nukes in Civ III?

NP300

Prince
I'm wondering if the Civ III AI can see subs when they carry tactical nukes.

I ask, because I just found out that the Civ II AI could see subs if they carried a cruise missile or nuke. I had noticed in my Civ II games that the AI knew where the subs were but I didn't realize it was because I put cruise missiles in them.

So can the Civ III AI see subs with nukes in them? If it can I'll probably edit the rules to make tactical nukes "invisible" because this kind of stuff makes subs worthless.

"supposedly" Subs are programmed to be invisible from the AI but sometimes I wonder

You can't see what any other civ is transporting, no matter if it's a transport, carrier or a sub. The nuke doesn't make the sub visible.

i am pretty sure AI knows if a boat or sub is carrying unit or not. if i send an empty boat into territorial waters of another civ, they don't make a big deal out it. if it carries units, they demand me to leave imediately.

I even think that its harder to sink a unit-full AI transport than an empty one... maybe prejudice but... it happened too many times...

I mod my games by making subs hidden nationality, to get round the 'sub bug'. It works fine until you try to attack a nuclear sub carrying a nuke - then you get the pop-up, "Are you sure? This will cause war with etc"

I would assume the AI can't see them because I leave them in the AI's territory for long periods of time (with nukes inside) and they never tell me to leave.

homeyg said:
I would assume the AI can't see them because I leave them in the AI's territory for long periods of time (with nukes inside) and they never tell me to leave.

do that with civ u are at war with . . . .

Bucephalus said:
I mod my games by making subs hidden nationality, to get round the 'sub bug'. It works fine until you try to attack a nuclear sub carrying a nuke - then you get the pop-up, "Are you sure? This will cause war with etc"

I'm using Vanilla so thankfully I don't have that bug. I think the reason for your problem is that the nuke is not hidden nationality and you're attacking someone you're not at war with.

LOVE_Magiska said:
The AI sees everything. The AI hears everything.
Bloody unfair :(
You are fully right.
The AI sees Subs and perfectly know if your Sub is full or empty.
If you have a save, just try that.
Build a few Subs let say 4 each, load 2 of them and send all 4 in direction of an AI shore (do not put all of them on a single tile).
Then declare war and watch, the AI will find your Subs in no time and will try to sink the loaded one before the empty.

JMK said:
You are fully right.
Build a few Subs let say 4 each, load 2 of them and send all 4 in direction of an AI shore (do not put all of them on a single tile).
Then declare war and watch, the AI will find your Subs in no time and will try to sink the loaded one before the empty.

I don't knowt know. I played a game in vanilla where I had many subs and the enemy had ironclads. A few times they sunk my subs but many times my subs were right by their ironclads and they steamed by right my subs.

JMK said:
You are fully right.

Boy I don't know about that, I've never really noticed the AI intentionally seeking out SUBS, I thought they were programmed to be "invisible" from the AI. I know the AI can see the whole map but I thought they were supposed to ignore subs???

Top Bottom