Trying to summarize rules on visibility and sight?

An arty with range adds up to a 4 tile capability of shot. If the target is within sight of any unit then that target can be attacked since artilleries have the indirect fire promotion that ignores terrain blocks that cannons and other ranged units get blocked off from.

That happens to me with the archer line all the time. Again, that article convinced me that it is not random. But I still cannot always predict success (or not), and it still feels arbitrary. You might have better success internalizing the algorithms than I have. So read the article.

Indeed, it's NOT random, but is instead each 3rd ring tile has a fixed specific second ring tile (indeed arbitrary) that you must have visibility to in order to have visibility to.

Somewhere there was a post back in Vanilla with an image listing all cases out. Even with BNW, that is still accurate. (Chances are it's accurate for BE as well)

Tiles 2 hexes away visibility works as expected.

For tiles 3 hexes away, the visibility goes thru specific hexes on the 2nd ring. And so there are situations in which you have no visibility to the 3rd ring hex when if the path had gone the other way you would.

The effect of this was somewhat reduced in G&K when Battleships & Artillery got Indirect Fire added as automatic promotions, so it mostly affects the English Longbow.

A question I have about this - is it possible for a Longbow (for example) to shoot a unit 3 tiles away, if another unit is providing visibility to the corresponding 2nd tile, but the Longbow would otherwise not have visibility in that tile were it not for the other unit?

A question I have about this - is it possible for a Longbow (for example) to shoot a unit 3 tiles away, if another unit is providing visibility to the corresponding 2nd tile, but the Longbow would otherwise not have visibility in that tile were it not for the other unit?

Yes, this happens a lot actually. Visibility is normally 2-hexes out, and the the Longbow can hit 3-hexes out. So on the offense, they definitely need a spotter.

Top Bottom