The City States of Greece

OOC: Banishment creates a strange situation. Athens has two citizens, but there is only one player in the city. Does this mean a new player will be promoted? Is Tambien alive or back onto the waiting list? How can a player be alive but not assigned to a city?

:confused:

A man begins to spread the words of Homer inside of Athens...

Athenians! Usurper has accused my family of leaving the monies collected for the public good in the coffers. Of this we are guilty. But what he does no tell you is that it was an insignificant sum, and that we were waiting for it to mature so that we could use it on something worthwhile. Also notice that, unlike in my family's time, the Archon controls all taxes. What is to stop Usurper from using this income for unsavory means. I ask you to consider this, citizens of Athens.

ooc: @ Aaronius. Its not really that strange, all thats happened is that Tams character has been ejected from Athenian territory and stripped of all land, money, titular and administrative assets until he grovels enough for me to deign his return, he is still associated with Athens however, he is just physically in-game elsewhere.

-

IC:

These words transmitted by supporters of the Fotismenoi are insignificant and obviously fallacious. The child Homer, clearly ignorant in such matters is deliberately warping fact.

More precisely he warps what "control" actually means. The Syntagma merely states that the Archon has the power to determine and implement taxes as he sees necessary, ergo he decrees what taxes there are in the athenian state. This is nothing different from what occured under the Fotismenoi when Prota, the one member of that family for whom I hold respect, implemented his taxes during his period of personal autocracy. I would also like to point out that under the Megakyrioi you, the people, pay only half the taxes that were mandated by Prota, the rest having been abolished thus making Homers conveyed utterances rather rich.

As to his hypothetical insinuation that I, the legitimate and lawful ruler of Athens would use the income of state for unsavoury means. I must pronounce this child hypocritical considering the documented fact that his father misused public funds in his attacks against my family! He insinuates hypotheticals about the Megakyrioi when any citizen can go to the militia office and see for themselves the documented evidence of the Fotismenoi doing precisely the misuse of funds. Furthermore I must say that you the people can surely judge for yourselves from my governance the truth of the matter as time goes on, rather than holding to the baseless assertions and hypothetical insinuations of vague future impropriety from a dishonoured ex-lordling from a family who is best described as hypocrisy incarnate. Its not for a reason that the divine wisdom spoken through me by Zeus himself called the Fotismenoi, enlightened (for their name means as such) but in darkness.

-

ooc: insinuating I may possibly do something is not a very good orating strategy Tambien. A good argument requires something substatial to back it up. This is why all my arguments thus far have at their core references to things you have done in your gameplay to lend credence to my assertions in regards to your characters. Its going to be exceedingly difficult (well more than it would be ordinarily) for you (or anyone) to out-debate me if you fail to provide substance to your arguments.

Once again Jehoshua controls everything. What a surprise!!

~The Death of the Archon~

Turn Report:
Spoiler :

T45- Assyrians killed by the Japanese

T46- Warriors complete orders, and fortify

T48- Mining discovered! Met Rio De Janeiro!

T49- Adopted Tradition as a social policy!

T50- Met Barbarians

T53- Found Madrid

T57- Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios dies of old age.

T59- Met Barbarians

• Standard of Living - Average
  • Literacy Rate - High
  • Culture Strength - Average

The people rejoiced at the opening of the coast for fishing, but the Wine District (Athens 8) was angered that their lands were taken by the government for the private use of the Megakyrios. They were happy with their new Archon, and fine with his new constitution. Though at first it seemed less just, it was actually more so because the Archon made not one, but three Plebians nobles! Hesoid Athenae Economou , Makarios Athenae Kosta, and Onesimos Athenae Glaros are now part of the Noble class in Athens! The three threw a grand festival for the new and just Archon. It lasted for three days and nights, and rivaled that of even Prota's Festivals.

As the years passed the people grew to love their Archon even more. His sweeping governmental reforms had effected them in many ways. Now a police force patrolled Athens, and helped those in need. Crime levels dropped, and the stability of the populace rose greatly. The new system of courts he funded brought a new sense of justice to the people. If a law was broken the accused was allowed to appeal before the Areopagus, and if there was a dispute between two citizens they could come before the Areopagus and get it resolved by an objective third party. In addition he implemented a new Social Policy of Tadition. The people looked back at their ancestoral customs and rituals and tried to preserve them for future generations. National holidays such as the Prota Festival and the Anniversery of the new Athenian Syntagma were now celebrated yearly. In conjunction with this new policy, the new funding for temples to the gods caused the people to become more religious, and they started to worship the gods on a regular basis.

Tragedy Struck on turn 57, when the great Archon Agamemnon died of old age. All the nobles of Athens threw a great funeral for this great leader. All the people prayed to the gods that he would be allowed in the Elysian Fields.

Issues:
  • Who gets the new hex?
  • What will we do about the Barbarians?

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Ethnic Groups:
Spoiler :
The Athenians
The Athenian people are said to be the blessed descendants of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena. According to the ancient ledgends, Athena gave the people the name of Athens, and the symbol they still use, the Owl of Wisdom. The Athenean language is still ancient Greek, with a few new words thrown in. The Athenian religion is what is considered pagan, but Athena is still the major figure in the Athenian religion. The average city dweller makes an adaquate income, while spending most of his days working. Oral tradition is strong in Athens, and many stories are past from generation to generation over the campfire.. Athenian women, starting at the age of 10, are taught domestic chores they will be expected to preform for the rest of their lives. The food of Athens is the best in the known world, and it focuses on wheat and the fish that can be found in deeper waters. Athenian chefs have managed to find a variety of "spices," some even coming from the desert to the west of the city. One of the favorite dishes of the people is Palla, a cooked fish with desert cinnamon and much salt put on top. It is inexpensive and very good. Recently the Athenians created a game by the name of War-Ball. War-Ball is a game where players take a woven grass ball and try to run it to the other end of the field. The only rules are that players cannot go out of bounds, and that they cannot destroy the ball. The game is very brutal and players regularly die from intense internal bleeding, and snapped necks, nevertheless the people love it. There are only two major teams, the Giants (who represent the city) and the Patriots (who represent the country). With the implementation of the tradition social policy the Athenians started to mark and celebrate annual national holidays. Prota Festival celebrates the founding of Athens and the almost Mythical founder who lead the people to civilization.

The Japanese
The Japanese are an honor oriented, sea fairing folk. They devote their lives to their craft and are highly skilled in whatever they do. At the top of their social hierarchy is their Shogun, leader of the army; then the Emperor, a spiritual leader; then the Daimyos, the lords and captains of units; and finally the peasants. In Japan the warriors are well respected, and hold a high place of honor. The local cuisine is mostly casseroles made from berries and herbs found in the wild and fish, the staple food of the empire. The Japanese speak a fast language, and it is still true to the Japanese of ancient times. The Japanese have little time for hobbies, but their most enjoyed past time is creating balls of polished mud, Dodorangos.

Polish
The people of Warsaw are an off mixture of races. Aspects of Japanese and Greek culture can be seen in them. Other then their mixed origin, little is known about them.

Indians
The only knowledge of them is that they live in a far off land, dominated by social and economic castes, and great and powerful deities. Recent visits from Indian Units reveal that in their culture Warriors held a high place in society.

The Spanish
Little is known about these people, accept that they hail from the south. Their brief visit in Athens didn't reveal much, only that they though themselves better then other races. They also had a fierce devotion to their pagan gods.

Egyptians
Reports from the scouts tell of a strange land to the West. It is ruled by an all powerful god-king Pharaoh, and beneath him are the priests, and beneath them the peasant. Though there is a small class of merchants and artisans, the majority of Egyptians live as slave-peasants. The local cuisine of Egypt is nothing remarkable. They have little in the way of recreation, but they do create a monument in tribute to the founder of each city.

Belgians
Little is known about the Belgians. They currently only inhabit the city-state of Brussels. Reports say they are religious and they worship their ancestors as the Paragons. They are very hospitible to outsiders, and in general are very musically inclined.

Trojans
The Trojans are a warlike culture, and are suspected to be an off-shoot of Greek. Very little is known about them, accept that only in recent years have they banded together and organized into a sort of tribal encampment.

Guals
From what we have learned, the Guals are extremely territorial and isolationist. Little is known about their actual culture, and we have only been in very brief contact with them.

Notes:
-I am not going to create a whole new ethnic group for every Barbarian camp, just the ones close by.
-Will add the advisors in later, I have to go.

Public Speech
(Homer Tambien Fotismenos)

People of Athens, it is I, Homer Tambien Fotismenos. I have come of age in the wilderness, surrounded by plebians that followed me from Athens. I have gained a new appreciation for the comon people, and have realized the errors of my brother's ways. I now believe that my brother was a coward and a theif. I am denouncing him, and he shall be expunged from my family tree. He is unworthy of the name Fotismenos. I have tried to change the evil ways that took over my family when my brother ascended to its leadership, and I hope I have succeeded. I also realize my foolishness when I denounced the Megakyrioi. Their decisions were motivated by good intentions, and a genuine wish for the people's safety and prosperity. It saddens me to say that the Megakyrioi are more worthy of the name Fotismenos than my own brother was.

I have come back to this city, this glorious and shining example of civilization, to take over where Agamemnon left off. I am the new ruler of Athens. I am the only candidate, the other newer nobles being inexperienced in the running of government, compared to me who has been trained for this since birth. The Megakyrioi are in no position to take the rulership either.

My first act as ruler is to renounce the property appointments of the House Megakyrios. All tiles are to be parceled, and I will not award my family anything.

This brings me to the second thing. I acknowledge that the Syntagma that my father, Prota Tambien Fotismenos, installed had multiple problems. However, the same holds true for that installed by the Megakyrioi. Therefore, I declare both null and void. I instead call on the people of Athens to send one male member of each family to a "Syntagma Convention," where we will together discuss what should be in the constitution of the Athenians. (OOC: dot, basically I need feedback on what I and others propose. All others: I need you to propose things too, after all, you are Athenians for now!)

Until such a time as a new Syntagma has been approved, all orders of Agamemnon stand.

May Athens bask in its glory for centuries to come.

OOC: So basically I need all of you to propose ideas for incusion in the new Syntagma of Athens. I will create a thread in the SG for that purpose.

Hmm... Can you just go into the city and claim leadership like that? Just wondering :p

ooc: Ah but there your wrong Tambien :lol: you see you missed a certain child of mine ;), so I am afraid your attempt to just walk in and take power wont work considering I, unlike you, covered all bases in regards to succession in the Syntagma :p

-

Speech

I Pericles Megakyrios, whom this Homers brother failed to slay when he murdered my beloved siblings, am the rightful Archon of Athens by the succession laws laid down by my great father in the Syntagma. But now we see the sly Homer slinking in from the shadows giving my father praise where once he gave only insult and scorn in an attempt to writhe into a power that is rightly the Megakyrioi's as laid down in the Syntagma. A leopard never changes its spots, and this Fotismenos has admitted that his families ways were evil, and as such he admits to his own errors all the while attempting to decieve you into thinking that my Father's death has led to a change of heart from the days when he reigned where he sent pitiful and seditious insults against him via courier from the wilds.

This insulting and pitiful attempt to usurp the crown cannot stand, and is as treasonous as seeking to take the position unlawfully by force now that the succession laws are established. Furthermore he has broken his banishment which my father placed on pain of death on him returning. Therefore the course of action is clear. For breaking his banishment and bringing sedition and insult to the Archonate of Athens and to my late father Agamemnons memory I must in fidelity to my fathers orders, order the city guard to sieze Homer Fotismenos and imprison him, he shall then be executed immediately on the morrow as per my fathers judgement in regards to the situation that this serpent should break his banishment and return to Athens.

May Athens never again fall under the darkness of those who call themselves Fotismenos

~ Archon Pericles Megakyrios

-

OOC:

: ordered the arrest, incarceration and execution of Homer Fotismenos for breaking his banishment, upholding Agamemnons judgement, and for crimes against the state.

OOC: And I have the long-awaited (lolnot) second chapter in my story!

Odyssey of Ekvallei
Part II: The Camp

Spoiler :
I remember waking up on the beach of an unknown land. The white sand beneath me was burning, and all I could think of was escape from the beating rays of the sun. I slowly stood, for my head was pounding and I feared that any quick movements would make me faint again. What I saw was horrible. I will never forget it. I saw the boat that Eka, Be, Trana, and I had bought with our hard earned money. It laid on the beach, splintered into a multitude of tiny pieces. The sails and the food could be seen scattered along the shoreline as far as the eye could see. I saw no one else, no Eka, no Be, and no Trana. I was paralyzed with shock. Things like this weren’t supposed to happen to explorers like me!

How naive I was at the time. I was about to experience much, much worse. When I finally began moving towards the trees that lined the opposite side of the beach sharp pains shot through my body. When I looked down I realized that I was a bright crimson. My body was so burned that I might well have been lying on that beach for many days. I still don’t know to this day. Regardless, the fact that I looked as ripe as one of the tomatoes my village grew meant I had to get under shade as soon as possible.

When I finished my trudging across the burning sand and reached the shade of the trees I felt relief. That feeling was to be short lived. As I walked further inland I noticed that the sounds of wildlife one usually hears in the wilderness were absent. Immediately I was put on my guard, but it was too late. The first dart to bury itself in my neck was not the last, but it was the only one I consciously recognized. As blackness descended upon me, I saw a man step out of the brush around me. He was a muscular man, wearing only a rough loincloth and a hat decorated by deer antlers. He sneered at me.

When I woke from my dreams, I almost wished I had stayed asleep. I appeared to be in a village of sorts. It was populated by men and women similar to the one I had seen when I was knocked out. They seemed to have a very guttural language, mostly grunts and short words. I could not speak it, but when a young boy no older than 10 approached me with a large club his intent was quite obvious. The boy said something in this tongue of theirs, and when I only responded with a questioning look he pounced on me. He beat me with his club until he had knocked out three of my teeth, and blood was running freely from multiple places on my body. My right eye was swollen shut, and I was bruised in almost every part of my body.

Even when the boy did stop, I got the impression that it was only because someone of greater importance than him was approaching. That someone came to a stop in front of me, and I saw that he was huge. He was the only person I had seen here that had any clothes other than a loincloth and deer antler hat, but even he only wore a deerskin cloak. He did carry what seemed to be standard issue around this camp, though. It was a club, the largest I had yet seen. The man, I assumed he was the chief, looked at me and then looked towards the boy that had beaten me. He made a questioning grunt, and the boy answered with a derisive snort.

The chief turned towards where the rest of the tribe had gathered and made a loud pronouncement. “Dgurn huh jur huhna!” Then, he moved his finger across his neck in a straight line. I knew at that moment that he had decided to kill me, for what I don’t know. I suspected it was because I had not fought back when the boy attacked me. In any event, I began to steel myself for death. However, when the crowd reached towards me they did not attack. They simply handed me off, moving me as though I were only a sack of nuts.

When I got to the end of the line, I was thrown over stakes inside a ring-shaped pit which were no doubt poisoned, and landed in the center. There was no way out, and I didn’t have the strength to jump over the pit. What I saw on the ground next to me immediately raised my spirits, however. It was two of my lost companions, Eka and Be! They were both asleep, but I hurried to wake them. We reunited joyfully, and our bond grew even stronger. We had survived the shipwreck together, and now we had survived the camp together.

Our joy was soon dampened, however. We heard and saw that the men and women who inhabited the camp were building devices whose purpose could not be mistaken. We were to be executed after all. This fact only increased our need to escape, and we spent the entire night planning. The plan we came up with was a desperate gambit, but it was the only thing we could do. We would jump the pit, and then run as far to the east along the coast as we could. In all this it never occurred to us that Trana was not with us.

When we jumped the pit, all of us made it over. Apparently the camp dwellers were not used to seamen who had to have strong legs to survive. When we got out into the forest, our gaiety ended. We found Trana, dead. His corpse had obviously been there for quite a while. The stink that rose off that decaying flesh was too great to describe. Our grieving would have to wait, however. We did all that we could. We found the sea, and we ran. We ran like we had never run before. We ran until our lungs felt like they would burst, and then ran some more. We ran.

OOC: Why 18 years specifically? Have we got any rules about that? :p

ooc: my character is 25 :p

-

OTHER ORDERS

-

:Athens 10, shall be given to Pericles Megakyrios.
:food and production on Athens 8 shall be leased (parcelled to tenants) to inhabitants of Athens 8. the two commerce from that tile shall be retained by the Megakyrioi
:barbarians we shall obliterate with our mighty army.

I am bound by the judgements of my father and by the Syntagma, you have violated both and as such I am dutybound to dispense justice and ensure that your crimes and violations of the law are punished.

This is especially so considering that in your words and deeds you show no contrition for your actions as indeed you have acted in a similar manner as your brother while at the same time you claim he was a coward and a thief! I cannot grant clemency in the face of such hypocrisy for to do so would be misuse of my office and an offence against the gods!

Top Bottom