The future of Fall from Heaven

First of all great news,in my opinion the new game is going to be a rpg kind of game where the story takes place after the events of auric's failed ascension,tebryn's fall and hyborem's defeat.Maybe you could go adventuring doing random stuff with Falamar,unite the hippus as Rhoanna because Tasunke died,play as Basium and battle your way from hell to hell or playing ethne/auric while laroth rebels.

That is great new, Kael and team! I hope as much of the original team as possible can be involved in the project. If the lore remains largely intact, rest assured I will be purchasing it.

Kael hasn't even said that it is going to be a computer game. Perhaps the book he's been writing is going to be a book you play, similar to the Adventure Gamebooks or Fighting Fantasy book series... :rolleyes:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps it is a strategy board game? We just don't know! :confused:

Kael, when you finally do start answering questions, please at least answer these two: What is the medium and what is the genre?

Hmmm, Thats who the publisher is! Franckh-Kosmos Verlag! The Settlers of Erebus!

So let me get this straight:

You're making a Standalone game (which means it is not a mod) that will be based on what?

Will it have it's own game engine?

Will it still play like a Civ game?

Will it be released in stores?

(Other than the above Great News!)

Maybe I should go download the mod now. An RTS sounds awesome, I just wish he'd give us more news.

Not sure, whether is it good idea ...

Civ4 was in development by professional team for some time. They had education for it, it was their job to work on it. They had to make engine, AI, soundtrack, models animations, make it moddable. Not mentioning multiplayer, compatibility issues, patching. I mean, creating a whole standalone game is something a lot different than creating just a mod. Sure, it gives you more variability, if you don't like some behavior, you just change the source code, but it's damn hard work to make it stable and working. So ((no offense)) I doubt that this will be on same level as Civ4. Also I wonder how they want solve copyright problems, since using others material for a unofficial mod is something different than using it for standalone game.

So unless they've got bunch of damn good coders and animators/modelers or miracle happens I think I'll stick with civ-based version.

EDIT: nevermind this post

Civ4 was in development by professional team for some time. They had education for it, it was their job to work on it. They had to make engine, AI, soundtrack, models animations, make it moddable. Not mentioning multiplayer, compatibility issues, patching. I mean, creating a whole standalone game is something a lot different than creating just a mod. Sure, it gives you more variability, if you don't like some behavior, you just change the source code, but it's damn hard work to make it stable and working. So ((no offense)) I doubt that this will be on same level as Civ4. Also I wonder how they want solve copyright problems, since using others material for a unofficial mod is something different than using it for standalone game.

All very true, but I think you can be sure Kael knows all that, too. I was very, very impressed by Kael's professionalism in designing, programming and, not least, supporting his mod - with his team, of course. I've never seen such a sustained and professional modding effort, going over years - and I was one of the first players, back with FFH1, and kept up with the evolution of FFH ever since.

I think we can be absolutely sure that Kael would only have made this announcement if he already knows EXACTLY what he is doing.

Now, if only we knew more, too.... ;). Come on, Kael, you've kept us in suspense long enough... :mischief:

Oh, and personally, I hope its not going to be a RTS - turn-based all the way! ... no drastic changes, please, otherwise it just wouldn't be FFH!

I love ffh and I will probably buy this unless it is RPG or RTS their are already enough of those sorta games out their based on fantasy and the like it would not be unique anymore if you did that Kael so please keep it on something similar to a civ engine (turn based at the very least)

This is great news. My favorite mod turning to a new game. I hope it will be easily moddable and Scions make appearance one way or another. :)

How is it it took me two day to read this ?

I'm too busy playing and reading the FFH specific info...

Anyway Kael, if you need people for beta-testing, I suscribe.
(e.g : count me in the PBEM trouble-finding team, in the flavor inconsistency team, in the balance issue finding team)

EDIT : + in the translation to french team. FFH2 translation to french is often terrible.

Awesome news! It's fantastic to see talented people achieving great things. Congratulations and good luck with your new project!

Quality quality news. Very exciting! I hope that the Dev team don't have to stay quiet now to protect their ideas & IP as its now a commercial venture.

And imo comedy genius:

But will we be able to mod it into an historical re-enactment of earth, complete with real life technologies, famous leaders like Winston Churchill, and unit like tanks? Inquiring minds need to know!

:goodjob:

I'm envisioning:

Subject: Fall from Heaven - Ages: covering the span of history on erebus and all 5 ages

Medium: Computer (I hope) (I would take a board game though I suppose)

Genre: Either a TBS or RTS.
*If a TBS it will be a complete team effort with Firaxis using the civ V engine and the main game will be centered around a long series of scenarios playing out the history of Erebus with several possible outcomes from the fourth age on.
*If a RTS it will have an set of epic campaigns and linked scenarios.

I think chances are it will use the Civ 5 engine. I suspect Firaxis are involved and are looking to make some money off of FFH and the hard work that Kael and his team have done to create it.

Top Bottom