[Module]More Arcane Reborn

Derf

Modular Mushroom
In the continuation of updating my various old modules, I present the still-WIP More Arcane module, updated for Ashes of Erebus.

The original details of this module can be found in the old thread here to save on duplicating the same stuff twice.

Important notes:
-This module has received very little in the way of balance - this is a known issue.
-Civ's that get the Shaman as their Adept replacement do not have access to the Mounted Arcane units.
-Not all Adept/Mage/Archmage UUs have a Mounted version. Mostly this is because there are no actual differences between the two
-Mekara's Mounted Mage/Archmage cannot do rituals
-Sheiam Eater of Dreams can be upgraded into a default Mounted Archmage - the ability to eat pop to recast is good, but the premise behind Mounted Arcane units is for hit-and-run spellcasting
-At present, none of the MA units actually require horses. This will be fixed in the next version, if a unit can be made to require two resources (M'd Archmages will need Reagents and Horses or Nightmare)

Changes from the old version of More Arcane:
-You can now only have one Mounted Archmage. You can still have four liches and four Archmages, but only one Mounted - an attempt at balancing them.
-Malakim Civs can switch between Camel and Horse mounts like the ordinary Horsemen can.
-The Hippus 'Horselord' Promotion now grants a -5 chance to miscast magic, due to their better relations with horses.
-The Amurite 'Kylorin's Legacy' Promotion now grants a -10 chance to miscast magic, due to their aptitude
-Primary and Secondary UnitCombats have been switched. Originally the MA units were Arcane, with a promotion adding Mounted. However, this caused issues with the Amurites upgrading from a Mounted Apprentice or Wizard to a non-arcane Mounted unit. Now their arcane capabilities are preserved when performing such an upgrade.

Future Plans - these have not yet been implemented, and indeed may not be implemented:
-Change the tech prerequisites for the Mounted Arcane units - this was a matter raised even in the old thread. At present the requirements are: M-Adept (KoTE, Horseback Riding, Mage Guild), M-Mage (Sorcery, Stirrups, Stable) and M-Archmage (Strength of Will, Warhorses, Hippodrome). UU versions are identical, UB replacements also work. These may need to be changed.
-Deny access to the Lichdom spell on Mounted Archmages. I don't want to do this by denying access to Death III since a few of the 'Master of...' promotions depend on it.
-Kuriotates. At present, as their Arcane units are Lamia and Centaurs replace mounted units, the Kurio's don't get access to the MA tree. However, Lamia can probably cover ground easier, if not quicker, than human counterparts - perhaps grant them a special promotion that gives them a movement bonus or lowers terrain costs?
-Mechanos understandably do not get Arcane units, but they do have the Adeptus and Techpriest. In theory it should be a trivial matter to give them mounted versions of these units, and in keeping with the current MA units they would simply lose the ability to build Refinery improvements, and gain a bit of movement (from their mount).

At present what the mod really needs is proper playtesting by others and thoughts on balance and the plans outlined above - some of them may not be possible, some might need to be approached differently.

My Dropbox is used here to make it easy for me to provide updates - if this is a problem please let me know and I'll send you the modules by PM instead. Old versions will be provided similarly.
To aid me with links, there are no version numbers provided in the download names. To find what version of a module you are running, simply go into the folder for that module and check the text files there - version contains only the version, the changelog is... well, the changelog, and info is used by the launcher.

Changelog:
Spoiler :
0.3 - 2 April '14
Fixed (Hopefully) Mounted Adept/Mage promotions not being correctly removed when Mounted Mage/Archmage promotions were applied.

0.2 - 23 March '14
Lots of changes:
-Players can now only have on Mounted Archmage or varient thereof
-Malakim players can now switch between Camel and Horse mounts
-Hippus' Horselord promotion now grants -5 to miscast magic
-Amurite Kylorin's Legacy now grants -10 to miscast magic
-Primary and Secondary unitcombats have been switched. Before the MA units were Arcane, Mounted applied by Promotion. Now with the two changed around, Amurite units upgrading to non-arcane Mounted units (Horsemen, etc) have been fixed.
-Sheaim Eater of Dreams can now be upgraded to a Mounted Archmage
-Mekara Order Shapers and High Mages can now be upgraded into MA Units - they do not gain special versions

0.13 - 19 May '12
Three new promotions added. Automatically applied to new mounted arcane units.
One is an M'd Adept debuff, superceded by the M'd Mage on upgrade.
M'd Archmage promo does not debuff, but does remove the M'd Mage.

D'teshi, Scion and Amurite UU's added
Svartalfar Mounted Illusionist added
Khazad are no longer able to get Mounted Mages/Archmages
Verified Hippus Mounted Arcane units will gain the Horselord promotion

Minor fix in the text keys.

0.10 - 08 May '12
Initial version.
Only basic mounted units available - no replacements for any civ.
Kuriotates and Mechanos unable to build.

Download Link

Last edited:
Updated to 0.3. Changelog:
Fixed (Hopefully) the Mounted Adept and Mounted Mage promotions not being correctly removed by the Mounted Mage and Archmage promotions respectively. This should also solve the ridiculously high chance to miscast magic on Mounted Mage units, as they had the miscast chances of Adept and Mage combined.

Top Bottom