Art and Lore

Well, that's awesome. :lol:

Thank you! :goodjob:

Edit: Ah, see you added one. :lol: I take it SeZ made the first one to go with the units?

I put them both together. If seZ had done it they would be animated or glowing or some such. :)

Yeah I probably should. Its the same use case as lizardmen and I did there. We will see.

Obviously I'm going with the first one. But the mickey icon IS awesome. :lol:

Question: If we DO decide to go with UU's, what should they be called? The racial promotion currently has the following benefits:
  • Can examine rival cities
  • 10% city defense

Minor benefits, but it helps give them a rogue flavor vs scout flavor. Any ideas on names?

Tunnel Rats? Still under the spell of Mickey. :p

Alright, I've been busy reworking Doviello+ to take new features (namely, new animals) into account. While doing it, I decided to try and get a display set up for the spawn odds... Hadn't been done till now as it was odds per city, rather than for the civ as a whole.

Was easier than I'd thought it would be. :lol:

I've got screenshots showing two different placements, though realized after taking the one that it won't work... Showing it anyway. :lol:

1. This is the first placement I tried, and personally I like it. It's out of the way, not likely to interfere with anything, and easy to read.
    • Spoiler :
  2. The second is on the City Name bar... Unfortunately, it's right smack on top of the 'next city' arrows. Can't use it there.
    • Spoiler :
So, it's obviously mobile. My question for you is, where exactly should I put it? Grey Fox suggested above the culture bar, but I think that would get in the way of the building list....

Edit: Also, would it be a good idea to show the Capital's spawn chance on the main screen, as with Scions and Grigori?

The same mechanic will end up applied to the Jotnar, Sheaim, etc, so I want it set up and finalized before I do that. ;)

I think the first option is best, personally.

I do too, now that the second can't be used (damn arrow keys!).

I want it somewhere out of the way, not floating somewhere... So I don't want to put it next to the arrows, as it's not flush with the border that way. :lol:

Only other option I really see is to have it with the GP, but then I need to reverse the order of the image and text and be careful with spacing.

Definitely yes.

This. I also thought, that that corner would be the most logical place.

I'll add the capital chance, though it won't be useful for the Doviello beyond early game; Spawn chance goes down when pop goes up.

For the second point... What corner? If you mean below GP's, that's where settled GP's go so it wouldn't work. Not sure I like it above them, either; Honestly, I'm likely to just leave it where I have it in the first screenshot.

The same mechanic will end up applied to the Jotnar, Sheaim, etc, so I want it set up and finalized before I do that. ;)

So, turns out the Jotnar and Sheaim could have had spawn counters already... Neither have counters that depend on the specific city for input. Sheaim counter doesn't even need player input. :lol: So neither of them get a display inside a city... Only Doviello need that.

I've moved all the main counters (those you see on the main screen) up to where the Grigori counter is, in the upper left corner. We now have displays for: Scions, Grigori, Archos, Jotnar, Sheaim, Doviello (capital chance only). There is also the display for each Doviello city, as in the first screenshot from the quoted post. ;)

Before anyone asks: No, this wasn't done just for a display. It was done while moving the code from EventManager (where it's read through every turn, regardless of if you qualify) to CustomFunctions (where it's only called if you qualify for it). While doing it I typically broke it up into multiple functions (for example, the Doviello function was split in three; Actual spawn code, spawn chance code (must be seperate for display), and a function generating the list of allowed animals), and some of those are used elsewhere as well now. The little bit that is run for the display is typically a VERY small bit of code generating just the spawn chance, so all in all it should actually be a (minute) increase to performance. :goodjob:

w00t! Faster game (even just a bit) FTW!

You seriously shall make an entry in Civilopedia, describing them. Unfamiliar counters are frightening :)

Actually, I'm about to start work on moving all spawn systems (Other than Scions; Relies on far too many factors that can't really be done without hardcoding) into the DLL. So there will be clear tags on buildings, traits, etc, telling you how it works. I promise nothing at the moment though; Looking at 15 tags just for traits, all of which will need to be cloned (and added to) for buildings, religions, and civics... Big project.

Best of luck with that.

------------(For Captain Uldanor)
Spoiler :

"Captain Uldanor? The man has the heart of an accountant, not a soldier. Every move considered, planned out, discussed for hours, nay, DAYS on end... it's a wonder his troops ever leave their encampments. I tell you, his plodding brand of pedantic I-dotting and T-crossing is the bane of the army, and he even lacks the respect for heroism and bold initiative that's the mark of any true leader of men. If I wasn't there to push us forward, I daresay the army would never get to fight at all-- our entire force would be occupied full-time in filling out supply request forms and status reports. No, the Hippus would be better off without him, and no mistake."

--Captain Ostanes, after several drinks following the Battle of Dunkirk Hill.

------------(For Captain Ostanes)
Spoiler :

"Captain Ostanes? That idiotic dandy? I tell you, if his father hadn't been a good friend of Tasunke, he never would have made it past Corporal. That man has no respect for rules and regulation, and if I wasn't there to make up for his woeful lack of understanding of logistics or military structure, this entire operation would collapse overnight into a bloodlust- and alcohol-fueled mob. One time, he even took a tiny reserve force to sneak attack a Malakim encampment before the main body of our army was even in the region, and his plan was to, and I quote, 'go beyond the impossible.' Seriously, what does that even mean?"

"Also, I suspect that he spends as much each year on fancy clothes and expensive wine as I do on my entire siege regiment. More, if you count the hats."

--Captain Uldanor, after several drinks following the Battle of Dunkirk Hill.

------------(For Captain Uldanor)
Spoiler :

"Captain Uldanor? The man has the heart of an accountant, not a soldier. Every move considered, planned out, discussed for hours, nay, DAYS on end... it's a wonder his troops ever leave their encampments. I tell you, his plodding brand of pedantic I-dotting and T-crossing is the bane of the army, and he even lacks the respect for heroism and bold initiative that's the mark of any true leader of men. If I wasn't there to push us forward, I daresay the army would never get to fight at all-- our entire force would be occupied full-time in filling out supply request forms and status reports. No, the Hippus would be better off without him, and no mistake."

--Captain Ostanes, after several drinks following the Battle of Dunkirk Hill.

------------(For Captain Ostanes)
Spoiler :

"Captain Ostanes? That idiotic dandy? I tell you, if his father hadn't been a good friend of Tasunke, he never would have made it past Corporal. That man has no respect for rules and regulation, and if I wasn't there to make up for his woeful lack of understanding of logistics or military structure, this entire operation would collapse overnight into a bloodlust- and alcohol-fueled mob. One time, he even took a tiny reserve force to sneak attack a Malakim encampment before the main body of our army was even in the region, and his plan was to, and I quote, 'go beyond the impossible.' Seriously, what does that even mean?"

"Also, I suspect that he spends as much each year on fancy clothes and expensive wine as I do on my entire siege regiment. More, if you count the hats."

--Captain Uldanor, after several drinks following the Battle of Dunkirk Hill.

I quite like those... Remind me of certain British generals, actually. :lol:

Actually, I'm about to start work on moving all spawn systems (Other than Scions; Relies on far too many factors that can't really be done without hardcoding) into the DLL. So there will be clear tags on buildings, traits, etc, telling you how it works. I promise nothing at the moment though; Looking at 15 tags just for traits, all of which will need to be cloned (and added to) for buildings, religions, and civics... Big project.

Do you really need that many tags? Can't you just clone the Great Person tags so that buildings would have something like "+2 :espionage: Animal" or "+20% :espionage: Adventurer"? Of course the :espionage: icon would be replaced by the spawning icon.

EDIT: Wait ... those are the 15 tags you are talking about. Nevermind. :/

Top Bottom