Your Top Ten Tips for Your Favorite Civ

IIRC, you still need to tech to Alchemy or something for Refineries, which is on the magic line.

And yes, even if the Ordo is removed, I was basing it off of the current version. Because of the breadth of changes for the next version, it's going to require an entire new set of tips because the strategies will be so different.

Alchemy boosts the yields of the refinery, but the refineries themselves can be constructed at steam power by an adeptus. Alchemy only requires engineering I think so it's actually on the construction line, but a link to the magic tech tree may not be such a bad idea. It seems that the mechanos can kill a lot of birds with one stone (or tech tree, since most of their UU and UBs are on the conscruction line) so linking alchemy to the magic tree sounds pretty good, I think.

Edit: Oops, valk beat me to it on this one :)

And sorry, I wasn't dismissing any of the strategies relating to the ordo that you posted for this version by stating that it was due for removal, I was sort of trying to say that many things will need re-evaluating when the new RiFE comes along.

Thank you all most kindly for your replies. Also, thanks much for giving heads up as to how they're changing in the newer version. Much appreciated.

How about a request for using some of the new mechanics for the original FFH civs like the Bannor chain of command on the first page?

Most of the civilizations did not receive new mechanics. I think the amurites may have recieved a boost in experience to their apprentices though, which can change into any type of unit now, along with the ability to temporily gain channeling II, allowing you to construct archers with force II (fun times!) Marksman range 3 ftw.. I think their champion unit got moved to the magic line, making it a good idea to beeline Arcane Lore. So for the amurites, I recommend getting archers as one of your prerequisite techs, then go for agroistacracy, and try to found as many remaining religions as you can after researching knowledge of the ether. Of their leaders, Dain the caswaldan is good for pumping out great prophets with his philosphical trait, but if you feel like trouncing the countryside with undead pick up naxes and research necromancy. Next you should probably pick up sorcery and arcane lore. Then bronze working and then strength of will. Mind that you'll still need all the economy techs along the way, but sacrificing some of them for the gain of battlemages is worth it. If you can get some law and force mana, Tya Kiri will let you stomp everyone with firebows if you wanted to go to war early. Just force mana would be fine if you are okay with your units rampaging around every so often..

Most of the civilizations did not receive new mechanics.

That's not true, actually. When you take the sum total of RifE (so our changes, and FF's changes), the only civs left untouched are:

1. Balseraphs - Don't need it.
  2. Calabim - Again, don't need it.
  3. Hippus - Haven't gotten to them.
  4. Lanun - Don't need it.
  5. Ljos - Don't need it.
  6. Luchuirp - Haven't gotten to them.
  7. Mercurians/Infernals - Don't need it. Though if you make Basium Evil you'll have a surprise.
  8. Svarts - Don't need it.
So 9 out of 32... That's not most. ;)

I think the amurites may have recieved a boost in experience to their apprentices though, which can change into any type of unit now, along with the ability to temporily gain channeling II, allowing you to construct archers with force II (fun times!) Marksman range 3 ftw.. I think their champion unit got moved to the magic line, making it a good idea to beeline Arcane Lore. So for the amurites, I recommend getting archers as one of your prerequisite techs, then go for agroistacracy, and try to found as many remaining religions as you can after researching knowledge of the ether. Of their leaders, Dain the caswaldan is good for pumping out great prophets with his philosphical trait, but if you feel like trouncing the countryside with undead pick up naxes and research necromancy. Next you should probably pick up sorcery and arcane lore. Then bronze working and then strength of will. Mind that you'll still need all the economy techs along the way, but sacrificing some of them for the gain of battlemages is worth it. If you can get some law and force mana, Tya Kiri will let you stomp everyone with firebows if you wanted to go to war early. Just force mana would be fine if you are okay with your units rampaging around every so often..

All Amurite units have a chance to be created with spells (based on what you have, and buildings in the city). Their Apprentice UU can upgrade to different unitcombats, and any Amurite unit with Channeling 1 is able to take Channeling 2 when the reqs are met.

Wait, you mean making Basium evil in the code or through in game events? I now want to go check this out to see what you're talking about.

What did the elohim get? The monk thing from FF? I Guess I wasn't taking those changes into account. And building adepts is much better, since they can start with 15+ experience points, and an extra promotion ^^. How would you go about making basium evil btw.. ashen veil doesn't spread to his cities I thought.

Wait, you mean making Basium evil in the code or through in game events? I now want to go check this out to see what you're talking about.

Any method. It's accomplished via an autoacquire promotion when the Mercurians are Evil. ;)

What did the elohim get? The monk thing from FF? I Guess I wasn't taking those changes into account. And building adepts is much better, since they can start with 15+ experience points, and an extra promotion ^^. How would you go about making basium evil btw.. ashen veil doesn't spread to his cities I thought.

The monk changes, the traits for all UF's, etc. Nothing RifE did specifically, but that's because FF did it well enough that I didn't have to. ;)

Building adepts is good, yes. That's why you build the adept (the Apprentice, adept UU), and can then upgrade it to a Mage, Spellsword, Firebow, etc. ;)

Make Basium evil by using BA. Convert to White Hand or OO, and then build things which push you the rest of the way.

Also, in response to new Sidar strategies, Hunting is a great early tech since the House of the Grey (Hunting Lodge UB) gives one :) and one :health: with the starting mana, giving cities a nice early boost.

Yeah.. I just mostly don't really like the sidar. Their mechanic nerfs you too hard. Level 6 units are tough to get and you want to keep them for upgrading later. Personally I think this would be much better if you could only 'split' with each unit every 6 levels at the cost of the most recent promotion. So you could still effectively have a level 5 unit, and the spirit wanders back to the capital to create a great person.

Yeah.. I just mostly don't really like the sidar. Their mechanic nerfs you too hard. Level 6 units are tough to get and you want to keep them for upgrading later. Personally I think this would be much better if you could only 'split' with each unit every 6 levels at the cost of the most recent promotion. So you could still effectively have a level 5 unit, and the spirit wanders back to the capital to create a great person.

I agree, and it's really their only unique mechanic, aside from about 3 UUs on the recon line. They feel a bit bland compared to the other RiFE enhanced races that have recieved a lot of love, especially since you don't see much variation from other civs until you get a unit to level 6.

Looking at the pedia entry for the sidar:
Shades, men who have traded portions of their soul for immortality, the Grey are detached from the events of the world. Only intervening to protect themselves or striking out to destroy undead (they see undead as aberrations despite their own use of magic to extend their life), they are happy to keep to their hidden cities, out of the eyes, and the wars, of the younger races.
I'd like to see some more of the isolationism aspect encouraged for sidar players. Possibly accompanied by a mixed builder/recon heavy playstyle, with maybe some emphasis on the anti-undead aspect.
A possible idea is to have sidar units have promotions at certain levels which are similar to the jotnar artisan promotions, means you have to keep your units at home to get the most out of them, but it doesn't mean you lose your unit.

?????
(To Valk's reply)

Top Bottom