Language translations for leader sayings

Guandao, Kamehameha's Attacked is now added. Thanks for noticing its absence. :D
Not sure how we could contact the voice actors though....their emails aren't given (perhaps for good reason, they might not want hacks and spam from some users)....

sukritact said:
Has anyone here ever gotten annoyed by the fact that he says hello everytime, even if you're the one making the offer? I try to avoid playing against ramkhamhaeng just for that reason.
Yeah, the trade request sound byte is so often repeated and it's rather annoying, and as you demonstrate with Ram, the lines do not always fit the context, though they originally wrote and recorded trade requests that *did* fit many different contexts. I think they just removed them for space reasons. -_-

Thanks for the heads up Guandao, you are indispensable. I've contacted the blogger, and hope to get Imperial Aramaic translations soon! No idea how to find the others. :)

No prob, I created a Unit dialogue thread for Civ4, but it's under Civ5 discussions, by accident :(. I hope someone can move it to the right place . Feel free to contribute to that discussion as I know people here know some languages. You can find the sound files in Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civ4/assets/sound/units. Hey, Morning Calm, do you understand Korean? I've already ask a Korean person for some translations, but he couldn't understand of all the dialogue.

Yea, I understand Korean. I'd have to reinstall Civ 4 before I could provide the translations, however. :p

The Aramaic guy posted a blog update a few days after my request, no mention of my request at all, no email...nothing. It looks like he prefers to have translation requests filtered through the site on the left side....but I honestly don't think I should have to go through what appears to be a procedure for a paid service....just to get translations for a game which he already did translations for. *sigh* Oh well. =|

Oh, That's too bad then. Hopefully, someone who knows Aramaic will pop up!
Now, let's wait for the upcoming DLCs. Zulu? (I don't know where we can find someone for that) Carthage (Phoenician???????), Dutch (easy), Portuguese (easy), Korean (easy). Ethiopia (a little harder, no luck on translating the ones in Civ4)

How I wish there were African and Native American Civ fans who knew about this thread. It's like I have to visit these places directly and I just don't have the time.

I'd like to propose some minor edits to the translations for Wu.
DeclareWar: "bother" should be replace with violate or offend, though violate sounds more right.
HateHear01: Anything else?
HateHello: Oh? It's you! (with angry exclamation sound syllable).
HateNo01: Unacceptable
HateNo03: Get out!
Intro: Greetings, I am Empress Wu Zetian. China pursues peace and seeks independent (self- sufficient)development. If others do not violate me, I will not violate others. (violate seems to be the best way to translate it, despite the *other* connotations in English. "offend" just doesn't have the same meaning)
NeutralHello: What is it (you want) today?
Request: My friend, do you think this request is acceptable? (Just a rephrasing)

Elizabeth: Julia Lenardon-voice coach

I'd love to be coached by her. Just imagine how impressed your friends would be if you showed up in a party and surprised them with "Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?" "How about you? Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?"

Thanks Geppenguin, I've added most of your edits, but I disagree with adding "violate" there....it seems too strong. And the "other" connotations overtake any others if that word was added so many times....XD

torni said:
I'd love to be coached by her. Just imagine how impressed your friends would be if you showed up in a party and surprised them with "Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?" "How about you? Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?"
Lol! Another problem is her voice sounds like it was done improperly, like she's on the phone or something. Probably not her fault, I suspect the people who had her recorded didn't quite set up the sound system properly.

I beleive my post has been overlooked. It's quite alright.

Yes, indeed. Majestic plural is often used in Turkish, too; and the person you're talking to doesn't have to be an important figure. If he/she's a stranger, you would use plural elements.

I agree with Louis XXIV on the subject regarding Darius. Also I've noticed that his hate hello isn't translated. Though I don't know anything about Aramaic, I speak a little Arabic, so I'll go for it:

HateHello: (With an unpleasant tone) Oh, it's you.

I'm not reminding it to insist that it should be added. When I didn't see a reply I assumed it has overlooked, that's all.

Jansay, I've added Darius' HateHello to the parent post.

Valbuena said:
:o this thread is fascinating! It should be stickied lol
Agreed, but the mods haven't stickied it in ages. There must be some resistance to the idea. For whatever reason. O_o

Is it just me, or does Harry sound like he is speaking really impaired English. Its probably because both Danish and English are closely related to Anglo-Saxon German.

Speaks German, though not the proper kind, acc. to Azalnubizar: "I have never heard anyone using the word "Bösewicht", which I have translated as "villian", when addressing someone - only when talking about a book or movie."
This is nonsense. Bismarck does speak proper German, it's just extremely exaggerated. This isn't unusual though - Civ has never been realistic with what the leaders say.

The problem is it was translated by one person and spoken by another, so it doesn't seem fluid when he speaks.

I can't add a poll to this thread as far as I know. *shrug*

I would translate Denmark for you, I just really can't be bothered to spend the time finding all the various times he says different things...

Top Bottom