Looking for AoE compatable modules

UnCivilized Civ

Chieftain
I think the title says it all. I've looked through the forum and couldn't find anything interesting or working. If anyone has any of the files from before the forum went down that haven't already been posted I'd be very interested

any idea which modules may be compatible ?

'cause I may have some RifE modules, but as I didn't play AoE, I'm not sure which one would be compatible...

I would assume anything that works on RiFE 1.4 since AoE is still just fixing bugs for the moment. I would be willing to test any that you're willing to upload

there are really few modules for 1.4...
there were Derf's modules...
balance tweaks
and
kuriotates+
I dL those around april-may 2012.
I may be able to upload them back once more, but you may want to try to see if they are not somewhere in the forums..
otherwise I have quite a few 1.31 and 1.3 modules... but those might not work with 1.4 nor with Aoe....
oh.. and max' mekhara and Keepers of Noggormotha (that one has written on it 1.3-1.4.. so I when I dl'ed it I thought it could work with 1.4... but maybe it's only for 1.3)

Ok, I was able to find all of those on the forums already. Honestly I hadn't started playing RiFE until after the wiki died so I don't even know what other modules were ever made. Thanks anyway though

when I say "there are few for 1.4", it doesn't mean only "I only have a few"... because at that time I dl'ed every module for rife that was ever published in cfc... and even for those on the rife-forum on greyfox's website (the wiki's web site).

the modules makers were more actives for 1.3 and 1.31 than for 1.4.. but at the same time, 1.4 was a dying outburst for rife... the main team was already almost out of the modding world.

if you want to try the 1.31 modules, tell me.

People were looking for 1.4 modules in 1.4 Modules. I know that the changes from 1.31 to 1.4 broke earlier versions of Panivo. It just needed some xml edits to get it to work again. It shouldn't be a massive job to update any module that worked for 1.31 - I'd say most issues would be resolved by simply sorting the xml to bring it in line with how the xml are organised in 1.4.

I don't think many of the original module writers for 1.31 are still active here. Unless the module owner has posted an update since 1.4 was issued, I'd expect most 1.31 modules to not work or include some unexpected effects.
I think the Keepers of Noggormotha was one of the more popular 1.31 modules. If someone wanted to look at reviving some of the modules, I'd suggest starting with that one. I'm more a modder than a player so those who played 1.31 extensively might have different opinions on what the most missed modules are.

well, myself I loved maogata... despite the lacking art and unfinished balance... but that's me.
I loved also guns-wyrms and steel.. but that's 1.31
but eh.. sorting the xml lines is maybe "not so much".. but that's pretty labor intensive.. unless you have some "automation" available... and I don't have any.

Some of odalrick's mods work. I know that Reformed Liches and Research Grant definitely do. Scion Healthcare does not.

hmm. not sure I even have those ones at home.

I've not tested my old RiFE modules with AoE, but in theory you should be able to use the SchemaUpdater to make them work. If not, let me know and I'll either update or redo them to function under Ashes.
Do note that I never actually finished (read: balanced) the More Arcane module - it was a bit of an experiment, and aside from the obvious issue of Archmages (3 normal, 3 Liches, and thre Mounted Archmages - overkill much?) I didn't give it much balance.

Maybe it's about time I dusted them off and did a bit of work on them again. Away from my own modules though... I'd like to see the Myu and Maogata modules updated. I make no promises (so don't hold me to them) but I think I'm going to look into them and see what needs to be done to bring them up to date too, where possible with the original author's permission.
If I do start on them though, someone else will have to lend a hand with the python parts of the modules though - I somehow managed to get by without learning a single line of the stuff.

If I do start on them though, someone else will have to lend a hand with the python parts of the modules though - I somehow managed to get by without learning a single line of the stuff.
I might be able to help out on the python side of things. Were both of those fully finished as modules which just got overtaken by subsequent updates to the main RifE mod?

I believe so - I seem to recall them both being in a playable state, at least. The Myu should be the simpler of the two, I don't think it had too much python-wise, but the Maogata's interesting approach to mana nodes is probably more heavily dependent on it.
For now it'll have to be a case of as and when I have time to start looking into them, I've kinda got a lot on right now, and I'll work through my own stuff first. Mine are mostly small tweaks though, so that shouldn't take long.

Edit:
OK, I've finally found my own modules and had a quick glance into them. All except for the More Arcane project can be updated fairly easily without too much hassle; largely it's just a case of repeating what I originally did - using existing XML entries to create the new ones.

More Arcane *is* going to take time, and is in serious need of balance. As such, the spoiler below outlines what I have in mind for them. If you wish to make suggestions or comments on this particular module, please direct it to the More Arcane thread, which can in turn be found in my modules thread (see signature)

Spoiler :
One of the main issues with the module was Archmages. This will be changed to allow for only ONE Mounted Archmage (or varient thereof).
The Malakim, after some looking into how ordinary mounted units are handled, will soon have camel-mounted versions
The Tech requirements will be changed so that each mounted arcane unit becomes available with the same tech as its unmounted ones. Tier 2 will still require a stable in the city, t3 will no longer require a Hippodrome.
All other details for now remain as outlined in the main thread.

Claimable Tower of Eyes and Fort Fixes will be merged into one module, as will Hell Stables and Arcane Forge - as both buildings are from Master of Mana, I will essentially have a Master of Mana module. Please hold off on requests for additional buildings for the moment - and remember Rife/AoE and MoM are two very different modmods, not everything can be ported over.
For any readers who might develop MoM, if you have any objections to my borrowing buildings like this, just say so. Credit for any new additions, like the existing ones, will be given accordingly.

I have yet to look into Myu/Maogata as yet - since these are understandably much bigger projects involving an entire civ, I'm going to leave these until last, or until I can no longer do anything more with other mods. They'll be done in two stages - first, updating the XML to conform with the changes between 1.4 RiFE and current AoE, then a review of the python code. Some of the latter I may be able to handle myself depending on how much there is, where possible (and where time permits) I'll ask LPlate to check over what I may have done with python, and look into any parts that went over my head.

These plans are subject to change, and time permitting work on them, so please be patient! We're only human.

Well, as the creator of the maogata, i'm fine with someone else doing work on them. Be aware that there is no unit art for them and that i never really flashed out the archery line for them. Also the hero is boring and was likely to change at some point.

I'm also not sure if i ever wrote the lore for some of the leaders.
Rishakim was supposed to be the default, sort of boring traditional leader.
Kirbasfen was the "mage" leader. he actually has lore.
Tasanny was the more progressive one that was supposed to be emergent leader (the one with the leveling traits).
She was about not casting out people at the drop of a hat and getting their people a bit more "civilized" so to speak.

Anyway, like i said, if you (or someone else) wants to update them, i'm ok with that.

Thanks for that, that's one less thing to worry about. I think the way I'm going to do it is to update it as-is, not making any changes to it except where necessary, then worry about fleshing out, (re)balancing, lore and art afterwards.

Updated versions of my old modules (Except More Arcane) have also been completed, they have a new thread here in this forum.

about maogata, I hope I'll be able to chime in to "help" balance... as I loved playing them at the time...
as a side note, the "stackable hunt promotion" were a bit strong in the end (there was really no downside)

Yeah, I remember that myself. But essentially it's going to be a case of make it work as-is, with changes only where necessary, then worry about that sort of thing afterwards. I mean, if you can't get it working in the first place, it doesn't make sense to start tweaking things too - it just makes for a headache.

More Arcane has been brought up to date now. It has a new thread (rather than necroposting the old one) but still has the WIP tag as there's still more I want to do with it.
I'm going to give it a bit more testing and see if I can make something depend on two resources (Mounted Archmages - Reagents and Horses/Nightmares) for a minor upgrade, then I'll start taking a look into the two civ modules.

If you've got a d/l link, I'll take a look. Anything python-heavy might be a touch out of my depth, unless the module is helpfully written like the Myu and Maogata modules are.

Note that doesn't mean they don't need testing - just that the python in them doesn't appear, at first glance, to need any changes. They probably will though. I've only looked into Myu, and I'm working on Maogata at the moment. So far everything *appears* to be working, but the true test will come when I put all the parts back together and try to play an actual game as them.

here the last version I had dl of "keepers of noggormotha".

you'll have to ask the modder though for any earlier version..

Attachments

• Rife 1.3-1.4 - KeepersOfNoggormotha114.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
Top Bottom