Is it possible to create an EMP weapon?

Crackerbox

King
Since a unit can have stealth capability, and it can target a specific type of unit, or several units, might it be possible to restrict other units from being made? Translation: if B unit is gifted to each civilization, but they can't make B, then might B be the only way to make other units(C, D, E, F, and G) through the upgrade process? B unit might be the one targeted by EMP weapons, and they serve as precursor units that can only be made through upgrading.

An EMP weapon targets electronics. It's too bad that an EMP couldn't destroy certain buildings within a city, as this would be like sabotage and thus restrict unit creation.

I'm wondering if there's a clever workaround as one of the scenarios within my WROL mod will be WROL EMP Edition? I can begin with an inability to construct any electronic based technology, but it would be far cooler to have it unfold within the game. It's less likely for a nuclear attack to happen than EMP.

We had the Carrington Event in 1859 through a massive solar storm. Since there really isn't any scripting in Civ3, it's not possible to trigger an event other than the exploit to cause war to happen automatically in certain turns, and so maybe gift an EMP weapon to several civilizations as they would be likely to use them?

Only in theory at least for me:

IF you could somehow make the 'military academy' an improvement instead of a wonder, but with the army producing perks, and give a special unit the 'collateral' flag that could somehow only target the 'military academy', then yes we could do it.

1- Flag all electronic units with the 'king' ability (Not strat) so that it can only be acquired thru upgrading.

2- Let the 'military academy' still produce armies, but be an improvement u could build in any city giving access to armies in any city built

3-Make armies upgrade to desired electronic unit. Can make multiple army units for different upgrades.

If it was possible to do what i mentioned in the first paragraph, then a special 'EMP' unit could blow up the 'academies' which will limit access to armies which you would need to upgrade to the electronic units.

I know someone found some hex code (I think thats what u call it im not sure) for the worker unit and when changed u can do diff things you normally couldnt do with the workers in reguards to the job flags. I only wish it was the same with buildings, so you could give wonder attributes to normal improvements.

there is a ckrcked editor. and there asre the unit ability CHARM ad the improvement CHARM BARRIER

see thit thread : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=349572 u should read all cuz there is more info inside thats not in the first post. if i remember right this could help u to get the effect u want.

if tthe units that are the upgrades are kings then u can upgrad B into C but cant build in a city.

It's difficult to imagine life under an EMP weapon. So many aspects of postmodern life reply upon mass production, transportation of materials/components/finished goods, etc. We live in the manner that we do since the reliability of electricity and utilities allows us to no longer need to measure carefully, plan, be concerned with spoilage too.

So whatever the precursor units would be, they would be a barrier to any units being made after the advent of electrical power. Everything would be done in alternative means of power, and that's going back to a heavy reliance upon mechanical power, steam operations, fired coal operations, etc.

Some nations would have some of the needed massive transformers to operate as finished resources, and there would be a enormous desire to seize those few available units. Only shielded systems would survive, and so that helps say major government divisions or the military in some countries, but the logistical issues and maintenance would heavily drain upon Strategic National Stockpiles to such a degree that collapse would be inevitable.

It's rather a doomsday situation because so many of the means we have of feeding the urban areas rely upon constant shipping and this would mean that somehow any improvements which give bonuses would also have to be reduced.

So in an EMP scenario/mod for Civ 3, it's figuring out ways to keep new units from being made, negating bonuses from improvement, and whatever I haven't thought of. That's why it's likely to start with the mod/scenario without those units and improvements as if they're back to square one and the civilizations have to retool to get any semblance of normalcy again.

China today is sitting on enormous raw materials surpluses and so they'd be the most likely to survive it, but with their massive population that means true anarchy there.

The skills that every generation had pre-electronics and pre-electricity are now largely absent from an agricultural point of view, and even if they existed, the sheer volume of water that would be needed versus city water utilities (which would no longer function) would mean massive deaths in the first month followed by terrible attrition, and few would be around to survive until any meaningful harvest.

It's why I want to make it as a mod/scenario because I don't think people realize how bad it would be. It's the topic of a book, One Second After that you could find in any public libary in America.

May be this can help you a little bit concerning the units. :)

Thanks for posting the link. While it alludes to a potential to utilize this for biological (germ warfare) or an EMP weapon and only affect those units, the link doesn't explain the process of doing it. Care to elaborate how it could be practically enacted?

And still, in effect it wouldn't work. While today we can and could forge armor and create swords, the REASON we can is because of specialization versus generalization of the citizenry. Mining operations today are DEPENDENT upon electricity. An enormous amount of work would be needed to get any metal output at all in the absence of electricity to do hand labor as well as having the old fashioned carbide lamps that miners used to wear for their helmet lamps. Few blacksmiths exist that only use the old ways.

Even if this could be dealt with, the EMP weapon in the scenario/mod would ALSO have to deal with the effect of negating bonuses from preexisting infrastructure. Everything is dynamic in the game with technology building upon itself, and doesn't take into account that over time these improvements utilize the advances just as we do in real life. We don't farm like our ancestors or the Amish/Mennonites, but now our farms are highly dependent upon chemical fertilizers, fuel based equipment versus hand labor, pesticides and GMO seeds. As such, practically all farms would be unable to work post-EMP attack.

It's why I think in order to do an EMP mod/scenario I have to BEGIN as if it's a postmodern start without those improvements and have the civilizations create new ones.

I've been thinking about the tech tree. It seems to me to set the date to 2015 AD as the ancient era, but alter all of the "ancient" tech to be practical prepper/homesteader skills. Then once these are accomplished they each are assigned to proper improvements and even small wonders, such that those kinds of bonuses and/or units can be made.

The players in the "ancient" era have mostly useless hand-to-hand and baseball bat wielding units, for while some would have firearms in America, the ammunition would run out very quickly due to looting and anarchy. Although in my area there are several "reloaders" they rely upon materials to make their new reloaded ammunition.

In the mod/scenario, reloading supplies could be a resource, and then with the technology then make some weapons again, then these "run out" and new caches are found rarely.

In the Ancient era, they begin to utilize primitive weapons again as the Native Americans did, but during the medieval period, once more you begin to see forged weapons. The delay would be caused by lack of access to hand operated mining operations metals.

Then in successive eras you see a return to making firearms as happened in American history during the Colonial period through the Manifest Destiny pioneer period and into the end of the time span of the Western period.

I think this is probably the only way to do it, for if I begin in the postmodern era, then while civilizations have researched the tech, and would have these kinds of units, there's no way to turn them "off" or to negate the bonuses. You have to have the appearance of a Modern Start, but truly have to re-research the tech tree and slowly but surely re-create those older units. I think it was Einstein who said we'd be fighting with simple bows and arrows after a WW3 scenario which involved the newer weapons of mass destruction.

So the players begin with some guerilla units to simulate home defense by firearms. There's some great units in the database to display some gangster type units or looters or riot police. Few of these could be created by the player UNLESS they happen upon some caches of resources. So they get both/and. Some would be able to say run a motorboat because one civilization (really a homesteader) runs a boat repair business, another has a canoe business. There's a crop duster with the only working aircraft, a modified bi-plane that's for recon only. Maybe there's a bike repair shop and if one exploits a cache of firearms, then can make a mountain bike rifleman? Something like this, but most of the units end up with primitive weapons.

Top Bottom