Resource + Resource upgrade

ZergMazter

Prince
Hello guys this thread is about resources and resource upgrades. I know i've seen maps that they have multiple clones of the same resource but they yield more bonuses after they become available with a certain tech.

Is this a case in which an upgrade has been attempted for a resource? I fail to see an option in the regular editor which allows me to upgrade a resource to another, and this is exactly what im trying to do.

The reason why i wanna do this is because i wanna add different graphics per resource, per era, so that i can make look certain resources look more industrial/modern in the future. For example an want irons to look like an iron processing plant in the industrial age by having the old iron upgrade to my new one.

Is anyone experienced doing this that might wanna help me? Thanks!

I don't know, but wouldn't that be like having a iron01 and an iron02 resource. One shows up immediately with the old resource graphic, but the other is like uranium and shows up when a specific tech is researched. Then that new resource iron processing plant would show up, either specific to a map you created or randomly in a map, and disappear based upon the levels in which the resource is exhausted (used up).

If you made a specific map, then place the iron01 resources, then set them to be used up within a reasonable time, maybe they could then be set to not appear anymore based upon those parameters. It would be as if you had a progression even though they're two seperate iron resources.

I sort of had a similar issue. I wanted feral pigs to be a hunting resource locally, but I wanted country hams to be a trade item since it's a genuine way of food preservation. Few meats can be preserved and maintain their caloric count. When you jerk meat you cut the fat out. In the absence of canning, which require lids and jars, then the fat is usually lost. In a post-apoc mod, such loss of nutrients is extremely detrimental.

Or think poultry as protein versus eggs as two seperate resources. Goat flesh versus goat milk, and so on. In a post-apoc mod with some of the techs being replaced with practical skills then certain resources pop up on the map to be utilized only from that completion of research.

Ahh interesting. So you are talking about the disappearance ratio and appearance right? Great... im gonna have to do some serious research as for me thats one of the hardest topics in the game. This stuff just wasnt in the game manual.

Ahh interesting. So you are talking about the disappearance ratio and appearance right? Great... im gonna have to do some serious research as for me thats one of the hardest topics in the game. This stuff just wasnt in the game manual.

Precisely. Look here for an explanation to the editor plus a helpful link.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5161452&postcount=5

City folks often don't think about rural life. In fact even in the country, farmer's kids get teased as farming was and is considered some dated occupation. But in any post-apoc mod, or even in films, the realities of the importance to controlling natural resources cannot be overstated.

People are very unaware of how these are harvested and don't think about acorns as a historical food source, as well as the wood from the trees. They're two seperate things, but in a post-apoc collapse without trucking and organization, understanding how to harvest firewood (and season it), and how to remove the tannins from the acorns so they're edible (two main methods), and how to actually use the lumber from the wood, these are vital types of technology. Things that if unknown to survivors, then they'll end up dying.

Something as simple as grass seed might save a huge number of people as long as they understand ergot concerns. A lot of the nonnative species in America were introduced to America by immigrants who wanted them as food, and yet they grow wild now, ready to be harvested by smart folks.

There's a lot of clever ways resources could be utilized to not only make better military units, but to enable other technologies, be a cash crop for certain civilizations, and cause wars.

Say a resource is a "cache" of material found, and not a harvested natural resource. That civ has a bounty of found materials to exploit. As the AI is dumb, they might sell it as a trade item unless you make it a bonus resource that adds to local shield production.

It's a chance to write something in the Civipedia to tell a story about some resource X and maybe this is a way to offer clues over time, but only for the people who bother to try to discern its usefulness.

We think about the pioneers simply hunting/trapping for food, but with no management (as there weren't hunting laws), then that "game" disappeared by extinction. This meant moving to other hunting grounds, and the disappearance ratio can be utilized to exhaust something like this, forcing the civs to search for them to exploit and this means intentional encroachment on to another civ's perceived territory near their borders.

The map editor's ability to place these resources specifically and to time them somewhat offers a way to nudge civilizations to do certain things, but the carrot has to be pretty big to entice them.

Because a resource can be used coupled with tech and with an improvement to create a unit, but since the AI is dumb, then sometimes if conditions are right with those interconnected things, then it's smarter to spawn a unit based upon say 30 turns instead of thinking the AI will make them.

One thing I tried was to make Armies of various levels spawn every 30 turns such that the AI was smarter about defending and attacking.

People think of resources as having a set value. While that might be partially true in the postmodern world, under stressed conditions like wartime (shortages due to demand) or during a post-apoc event, then something as simple as coffee would have premium price and would be an extreme luxury item. Or say it's an earlier time of abundance within the game and you want to boost income but not directly. If you make lots of initial resources with a set value, then a vibrant trade situation will happen.

The reason one civ knows that another civ is present, and the natural resources that are there is by exploration. But this can take a lot of time as scouts and settlers and units traverse the terrain. But if you use the editor to preplace some units closer to the territory of another, then those units know of those resources and earlier trade could be established as well as contact and relations by that simple process.

Awesome!!!!! I actually tried something similar to what you are talking about. I made a resource that was auto-produced by a building/wonder that required a natural resource.

I had lots of problems balancing it and got discouraged, but it seemed promising and i wished someone would make a scenario like that so i can get some ideas.

Since i play with 31 nations lol eventually there were too many resources around the map slowing my game down, or at least i think thats what it was, or maybe it could have been related to me having air trade available thru airports back then.

My game did get massively faster when I only allowed air trade thru the capitol city, and thru acquiring some strategically placed resources on my map to allow for more trade on some isolated continents/islands and keep the trade flowing.

Also the main problem i had was making the AI think that upgrading such resources was of the highest priority, therefore ending in an unfair advantage to myself since i was the only one who knew their real value and not the AI :(

I also struggled a bit trying to make said resources capturable without been really able to be built thru the build que, and also tradeable. I got really close, but there were always little details man, but its exiting as heck!

Man you make me wanna to back try it again. Im actually gonna go do it!!!!

You really caught my attention here ''There's a lot of clever ways resources could be utilized to not only make better military units, but to enable other technologies'' Woot!?!?

I also just remembered why the appearance and disappearance ratios were so hard for me to understand after re-reading that post lol. Its math and my inability to communicate with it well.

Take this for example 10/2=10/2, i mean i could probably solve that or other more xtreme examples even with a little help, but at the end of the day i keep wondering WTF is the result I got from those numbers for and what is it lol? Is it an amount? Is it a percentage? Is it something else? Im not one of those people who really makes sense of what happens when you do math unless you keep it simply linear like 2+2/2-2*2=result :(

Top Bottom