Would anyone be interested in an Indo-Greek scenario?

There are actually 3 Buddhas. There is a large reclining one - evidence of which has only recently been uncovered. It would probably have looked something like the many sleeping Buddha statues found throughout East and Southeast Asia.

Yes it's a little late. But many of the key features of representations of the Buddha in later statues came out of the Greek influence along the Silk Road. And a wonder need not be of these specific statues. The idea of a monumental statue with a golden visage, whose eyes glow at night, & who pronounces like an oracle, sounds a lot like something a Greek with a talent for theater & engineering would create. And there were plenty of tourist attractions pilgrimage shrines along the trade routes throughout the Indo-Greek period.

We could have a statue of Buddha wonder.

Here's what I've got so far as ideas for improvements and wonders:
Spoiler :
Improvements:

Barracks (Veteran Ground Units)
Granary (Doubles City Growth Rate)
Temple (+1 Happiness)
Marketplace (+50% Tax, Increases Luxury Trade)
Library (+50% Science)
Courthouse (Reduces Corruption, Resistant to Propaganda)
Walls (50% Defensive bonus, 8 Bombard defense)
Water Supply (Allows City Size 2)
University (+50% Science)
Stadium (+2 Happiness)
Harbor (+Food In Water, Veteran Sea Units, Allows Water Trade)
Wealth (Capitalization)
Infirmary (Allows City Size 3)
Mint (+50% Tax)
Caravanserai (+50% Tax)

Citrisala (+50% Science, available to INDIANS (inc. Indo-Greeks) Only)
Crematory Ghat (+2 Happiness, available to INDIANS (inc. Indo-Greeks) Only, requires river)
Ghat (+50% Luxuries, available to INDIANS (inc. Indo-Greeks) Only, requires river)
Gosthi (+50% Science, available to INDIANS (inc. Indo-Greeks) Only)
Vedi (Reduces Pollutions, available to INDIANS (inc. Indo-Greeks) Only)

Statue (Reduces Corruption, GREEK)
Torana (Reduces Corruption, HINDU)
Temple to Zeus (+2 Happiness, GREEK)
Stupa (+2 Happiness, BUDDHIST)
Pagoda (+3 Happiness, BUDDHIST)
Mandir (+2 Happiness, HINDU)
Fire Temple (+50% Science, ZOROASTRIAN)
Academy (+50% Science, CONFUSCIAN)

Small Wonders:

Heroic Epic (Increases Chance of Leader, Requires Victorious Army)
Brahmin House (Brahmin every 6 turns, HINDU)
Mandapam (Reduces Corruption as a second palace, available to Indians)

Great Wonders:

Mathura Lion Capital (Reduces Corruption as a second palace, available to Scythians)
Forbidden Palace (Reduces Corruption as a second palace, available to Easterns)
Great Library (Gain any advances known by 2 or more civs)
Oracle (Doubles Temple happiness)
Temple of Artemis (Temple in every city, available to Greeks)
Gajadhyaksha Camp (Barracks in every city, Gajadhyaksha every 12 turns, requires Elephants in radius)
Kadagam (+Shields in Water, War Galley every 6 turns)

The Great Stupa (Doubles Stupa Happiness, located in Sanchi)
The Buddha's Tree (Doubles Scientific Output, located in Bodh Gaya)
Taxila's Throne (Cavalry every 12 turns)
Walls of Dayuan (Walls in every city, doubles defense against barbarians, located in Guishan)
Yumbulagang (Doubles City Defenses, located in Yumbulagang)
Zoroastrianism (Doubles Scientific Output, located in Bactria)
The Great Wall (Walls in every city, located in Chang'an)
Sun Tzu's Art of War (Barracks in every city on continent, located in Louyang)

As you see, Anno Domini has been of great influence...

Although I'm not entirely sure how I want religions to work...

We could have a small Buddha statue as a city improvement avaialble to Buddhist civs, and it could give some basic culture (worship) and/or trade (pilgrims and donations) bonus.

What I might do, is use resources, say "Greek Community", "Hindu Community", etc. These would be pre-placed around their respective locations but will move about the map. Some (such as Buddhism) will be more likely to dart around the map than others (such as Zoroastrianism). Religious improvements would require access to a source of this community in the city radius to be built.

I think that idea sounds good.

I haven't done any work on it, but that by no means makes it dormant; I've been taking a little hiatus from modding since March (just can't seem to get into it since I came back from home in April, and don't really have the time), so I haven't really been working on any of my projects.

:bump:

Going home tomorrow, so won't be able to do anything about this for a while, but I've thought of some better way of guiding religious development.

Basically, each civ will have access to one or so religions at the start of the game (e.g. the Indo-Greeks will have Greek Polytheism, The Sungas will have Hinduism, etc.) Each religion grants specific improvements and wonders available only to that civ, and also one improvement which only they can build, but gives 0 culture (so when taking a city there's a chance it will be captured and a chance it will not be captured). This improvement will be required in x number of cities and will open up most of the rest of that religions improvements and wonders.

Thus, if the Indo-Greeks manage to take, say, five cities with the base Buddhist improvement still intact, they'll be able to build most of the Buddhist improvements and wonders.

I could also use this to add some kind of spread rate. Non-Greek civs wouldn't as easily absorb Greek culture, so there would need to be a higher number of the base Greek building present before the others become available. Meanwhile, Buddhism would spread fairly easily, and thus it would take a smaller amount of Buddhist improvements.

Of course, this means that it would be possible to "collect them all". Thus, maybe some improvements could require resources and the such in the radius - most Hindu buildings, for example, could require x number of the base Hindu improvement, plus (say) Elephants, or another resource which is common in the subcontinent (and SE Asia) but not elsewhere - although a few improvements, such as a typical "Mandir" at least might be buildable anywhere so long as there are x of the base improvement!

What do you guys think? Sound good? Too complicated? Other foreseeable problems?

Hello Virote_Considon!

I've always liked the Indo-Greeks. I find the idea of a little lost island of Greek culture so far away from home fairly romantic.

One thing. It seems the Indo-Greeks favourite enemies were... other Indo-Greeks. Can that be implemented somehow?

Hmm...

Possibly there could be more than one Indo-Greek Kingdom? Perhaps one centred on Taxilas, one on Alexandria in the Caucasus, and perhaps one further to the South (Demetrias?)

I like it. I mean, the scenario is about the expansion and survival of the Indo-Greeks right? My favourite scenarios are always then ones where you start small and expand. Three factions would be a nice touch, but how would that affect the locked alliance?

Oh, and do you like this interface?

Spoiler :

That interface does look nice!

As for the locked alliances, perhaps only one Indo-Greek state could be in a locked alliance with Bactria (perhaps the one centred around Taxila?)

Or, perhaps the alliance could be reduced to just Bactria and Dayuan?

Top Bottom