About those attempts to make an opensource or indy civ3 clone

I'm sorry to hear that. But its good you weren't hurt in the car accident.

Thank Heavens indeed! Although, I'd probably be angrier about the 3 AM phone calls myself ... :think:

Since I've lost the stuff I've taken with me to work on my NTW mod, maybe I'll use the week end time to write down some ideas for "indie civ".
I'm not sure I'll have that much time since I need to redo some of the stuff for work I lost at the same time. But if I'm too bored with work, I'll change my mind with the game.

TO everyone interested by the project:

go there
https://www.hostedredmine.com/

Create an account. Then give me your account ID and I will add you to the project.

We can have a forum, a wiki, file repository and task management.

PiotrG, I found two.
Piotr Gawlik and Piotr Gryc. Which is the correct one?

Warmaffles added.

For future, please give also the first name/last name, that's what I see when adding members, it's better to see this and the ID

For the site itself, I have some privacy questions, particularly whether it's easy to hide your e-mail and first/last name after signing up. Taking a look at some random projects and their members, it looks like the e-mails are publicly displayed, and that's something undesirable to me currently as I'd like to keep a fairly low profile and not make it too easy for someone searching my e-mail to link it with my recreational online life, including CFC. Over the holidays I may upgrade my e-mail so I have an alias e-mail to sign up with, but that's what stopped me from submitting the sign-up form when I went to do so in November.

But it's true that that's only a temporary roadblock, and if I'd been really gung-ho (and likely the same for others), I'd have worked around that upfront or the next day. I suspect the fact that all the leading candidates to be involved have professed "interested, but not available for at least a few months" is a contributing factor, and I include myself in this as I know any contribution I could make would be minor in the near future.

And general-jcl's at least somewhat correct, too, I'm afraid. For all of us still at C&C who were here five years ago, at least one other has left, and the average time played for those remaining is probably lower than in 2009. Civ3's still my most-played game of all time, but it's definitely not in the top 5 for 2014, and might not be in the top 10, either. We discussed earlier how a clone wasn't very interesting; between the lines in that is that a near-clone isn't a whole lot more interesting, and we're still kind of at the near-clone point. At this point, I'm more interested in something like Jon Shafer's At the Gates, which clearly shares some elements but looks to have some very distinct mechanics as well, than something "like Civ3", no matter who's behind it. The concept is good, it's just something I've already played... a lot.

Well don't ruin the atmosphere :p

I had no web connection all this time (only got it again today). I am of the view we should rather have a sub-forum here, though, cause people tend to click on different parts of the same site more often/regularly than different sites :)

Top Bottom