Varica: Children of the Sky

I shall inform the King of Werhold prior to leaving.

"I have heard that you have decided to leave this camp. I have heard the news that, if I may make a presumption, have led to this decision. I understand why you do this; I myself, though far away from Werhold, cannot help but always think of my homeland and strive to remain in touch with the events there. Even at this distance from the seat of his kingship, a king is still a king; so also even after your abdication, you have remained a king. A man that has become a king can never quite stop being involved in his kingship, even as far away as it may be in space or in time.

I do not presume to have any power over you, but regardless, I both permit you as the commander of this army and bless you as the hereditary Werar High Priest of Haeka in your journey back to your home. I am both confused and confounded by those recent news from Varica and from the West; for all of our victories here, it seems disastrous for Varicans back at home to fight amongst each others at the very same time when we, the Emperor's loyal servants, are locked in combat with an enemy unlike any faced by Hroth. So go with my blessings and the hopes of all those involved in this campaign; hopes that you shall be the voice of reason that restores our brethren to sanity.

As for myself, you understand that I am wholly committed to the current campaign, and though my sympathies are with you and your cause against - as I see it - the fanatics of both factions that are threatening to tear the Empire aside and those in Validira that had pushed it into an unjust war, I can not help you with anything other than my words. Still, as the King of Werhold, I can perhaps still hope that my words do have some weight with the courts of the Emperor and my fellow Kings; therefore I pledge my assistance to you, and shall have my envoys and agents assist you in any way available to them, if you but request their aid. Though I am young, I hope that I might still be able to provide you with some help in those weighty matters."

@Fulton: When/if you have time, can you say a few words about how a regent is selected in Varica? Since the current regent seems to be growing closer to death by the update, it would be useful to know.

To: Haecadem II, King of Werhold

Greetings to our most excellent brother. Now that our personage has arrived, our loyal captain of the Raeka, Thane Dalrir, who has lately been attached to your army, has been given orders to encamp with our army, together with his men and the Hrafn volunteers. We recognize your right to command our own army, as the Emperor has given command of all the forces arrayed against the Manische into your hands. Nevertheless, as the ones who have the greatest blood-debt to repay the Manische, we claim for ourselves the right to attack Jozioc. We humbly ask that you recognize our claim. Therefore our own intentions are to invest Jozioc with the aid of Tessil engineers attached to our court. We formally petition you to ensure the integrity of our investment by ensuring that reinforcements from Zioc are unable to relieve Jozioc.

We also express our willingness to pay whatever ransom price you demand for Eijion and the other captured Blood Brothers in your care. We intend to honor our father Adalbrandr by ensuring that his temple in Varica is served by the nobility of those who he overcame in battle.

To: King Mateo of Validira

We thank you for the service you rendered to the honor of our father, Adalbrandr, for whose cause you fought and many of your men died. Know that we have counted each Validiran who fell as one of our own, and have added them to the account which we will ensure the Manische pay with their blood.

We will offer sacrifices that your leaving will bring peace in the west. For it distresses us that such a petty quarrel brings blood while the Empire is surrounded by enemies. And it brings us greater sorrow that it is against Cul, who has ensured that the western borders of Varica have remained secure. Therefore, as you leave, take with you, we pray, this letter sealed by our own ring. Take it to Helgiverðr, a priest of Haeka, who, with twenty-four Raeka of Hrafn, serve the temple of Adalbrandr outside the city of Varica. And he will give you hospitality and whatever aide he is able.

To: King Radu of Dolu

On account of your weakness, we hesitated to discuss this matter before. But now we are confident that your people again are great and mighty. Therefore, we wish to ask you to remember the help our father Adalbrandr gave you, when no one else would stand beside you, in defending your lands and lives. Therefore we ask that you repay the blood-debt you incurred, and send some troops, however many you can spare, to avenge the death of Adalbrandr.

To: Emperor Hroth V; General Hroak; King Haergar II of Oerdan

My lord, I do not presume to speak to you of matter of statecraft and war, for you are the one chosen by Haeka to rule over all of Varica, while I am the least of the tribe of Hrothnani. Nevertheless, I speak so that the memory of my husband, Adablrandr, who was counted first among the mighty men of Varica, and for the betterment of his tribe, which my son rules over as king.

Therefore I humbly ask that you send an army under General Hroak, who some call the greatest warrior to spring from Hrothnani, to the Varth to fight those Manische who made war on your subjects. Surely the Empire is great enough to spare in this task five hundred warriors. Now I say this not only for my sake, for I greatly wish to see my husband’s task accomplished and the Manische routed before our banners, but also for the sake of the Empire. For it is the Emperor’s task to protect his subjects from all harm. Not only this, but the members of my court who are Thunes from Tessilki speak to me of the merchants who come from Varica to Tessilki, and how they fear, seeing as how their routes pass close by where the Manische raid. So it would put their mind to ease if the Empire would drive the Manische away until only their corpses remain.

To: Vorchk

It is with great sorrow that I have heard that a melancholy has fallen upon you after our trial together. This has upset me, so that I do not even wish to touch food or drink because of my sorrow. For all men know of your uprightness of heart, and the glories of your master, Hroth IV, may he dwell eternally before Haeka’s throne. And if any speak otherwise, I will face them in combat, and I shall defeat them, for they speak with forked tongue.

Now I have been given the honor of serving as priest at the Adalbrandr’s Temple, outside of the gates of the city of Varica, for it is right for both a warrior and a priest to keep the rites for the Warrior-King. Come, I pray, and visit me here and whether you need solitude or companionship; to hear from man or Haeka, here you will find what you need. For I wish that you would recover quickly, for Hroth V still has need of you, and I would not wish for him to be deprived of your help for too long.

IC:

"I have heard that you have decided to leave this camp. I have heard the news that, if I may make a presumption, have led to this decision. I understand why you do this; I myself, though far away from Werhold, cannot help but always think of my homeland and strive to remain in touch with the events there. Even at this distance from the seat of his kingship, a king is still a king; so also even after your abdication, you have remained a king. A man that has become a king can never quite stop being involved in his kingship, even as far away as it may be in space or in time.

I do not presume to have any power over you, but regardless, I both permit you as the commander of this army and bless you as the hereditary Werar High Priest of Haeka in your journey back to your home. I am both confused and confounded by those recent news from Varica and from the West; for all of our victories here, it seems disastrous for Varicans back at home to fight amongst each others at the very same time when we, the Emperor's loyal servants, are locked in combat with an enemy unlike any faced by Hroth. So go with my blessings and the hopes of all those involved in this campaign; hopes that you shall be the voice of reason that restores our brethren to sanity.

As for myself, you understand that I am wholly committed to the current campaign, and though my sympathies are with you and your cause against - as I see it - the fanatics of both factions that are threatening to tear the Empire aside and those in Validira that had pushed it into an unjust war, I can not help you with anything other than my words. Still, as the King of Werhold, I can perhaps still hope that my words do have some weight with the courts of the Emperor and my fellow Kings; therefore I pledge my assistance to you, and shall have my envoys and agents assist you in any way available to them, if you but request their aid. Though I am young, I hope that I might still be able to provide you with some help in those weighty matters."

I thank the King of Werhold for his words of guidance. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly your wisdom has increased in the years. And to think but a mere two decades ago, one as wise and skilled in arms could have been deposed by wicked witchcraft! I know not what you might have heard, for gossip is as rife amongst us Varicans as is evil amongst the Fulanti. But I shall admit that age, the gift given to us by Haeka, has slowly come upon me.

While it would please me nothing more than to stay by the Army's side and continue to work so that the Manische may be conquered, it pains me to say that age has weakened my ability to fight. There comes a time in a man's life when we seek peace, solace and the ability to grant wise counsel. And for that, I seek to return to Varica so that the wise Regent Taka might benefit from the wisdom of another old man.

To my grave, my oath is to that of Lord Haeka and to that of the Late Majestic Emperor Hroth IV. Such evil and wickedness in our times were foretold by the Wise when the great Champion Adalbrandr was slain by the Manische; Haeka has turned his face away from us. We must seek to redeem ourselves once more. Yet I assure you, my and my blood remains at your side. My son, Miaeus shall continue to lead our contingent against the Manische under your guidance.

To: King Mateo of Validira

We thank you for the service you rendered to the honor of our father, Adalbrandr, for whose cause you fought and many of your men died. Know that we have counted each Validiran who fell as one of our own, and have added them to the account which we will ensure the Manische pay with their blood.

We will offer sacrifices that your leaving will bring peace in the west. For it distresses us that such a petty quarrel brings blood while the Empire is surrounded by enemies. And it brings us greater sorrow that it is against Cul, who has ensured that the western borders of Varica have remained secure. Therefore, as you leave, take with you, we pray, this letter sealed by our own ring. Take it to Helgiverðr, a priest of Haeka, who, with twenty-four Raeka of Hrafn, serve the temple of Adalbrandr outside the city of Varica. And he will give you hospitality and whatever aide he is able.

To: King Vigvitr of Assfell

Does a brother thank a brother when he comes in times of need? I shall not accept your thanks, for it was but my duty and obligation. From Varica to the fields of Darium, Your Honorable Father and I fought as comrades side by side with the Late Majestic Hroth IV. But I thank you profoundly in my prayers, for what can men say but that they had such friends?

I shall take your letter gladly, for it brings me untold joy to see that the son of Adalbrandr has come so far. When I return to Varica, I shall indeed visit the man who has been blessed to safeguard the temple of Adalbrandr. And should I require support in my endeavors, I shall undoubtedly turn first to the Hrafn.

To: Villieldr, who brings His light to the Hrafn.

I have prayed for guidance from the light-bringer and consulted with the texts available to me. I have found several instances of Haeka’s judgment in trials of this nature. I have found seven instances of a champion being struck down by Haeka. The first dates back five hundred years before the split of the Voth tribe. A champion of the northern Voth was consumed by holy fires when a sunbeam struck him before delivering the final blow to his opponent. Three specific instances involve similar circumstances. The champion caused up blood and collapsed on the field, twice accompanied with green leakage from the eyes. These occurred among the Gibraly, Ropp, and twice among the Hrothnani. One of these challenges saw a challenger fall down dead in a challenge against Hroth I himself. What happened to Vorchk is consistent with Haeka’s judgments of the past. The main difference is that Vorchk lived while the others all died.

To: Helgiverðr, who delivers both Haeka’s justice and his mercy

I thank you for your kind words. I think that you are the only man in Varica who can understand my pain. I hope that you can guide me to Haeka’s purpose. I want nothing more than to be his tool again. Please, help me seek the correct path. I will come to you soon.

To: Jyanna of the Hrafn

My men will protect our vassals, the Paredor. But there our forces must rest. We are beset on all sides by enemies that Varica shouldn’t share. We must protect our brothers among the Tessil as well as our fellow Varicans.

To: Kings Naxis, Cul
Copied to Duren

Your Highnesses, this war drains men away from the battlefields of the north and threatens the stability of the Empire at a time of crisis in the capital. I offer my services to mediate an end to the war in the south and reintegration of the southern provinces into the Empire.

To: Validira and the Court of Varica

We throw our support wholly behind Cul Funkard. When the Sunta invaded us, Varica ignored our calls. Only the Huroto joined us as brothers. While it is true that they have spent much of the last decade at peace while we bleed, that doesn’t change the fact that they are here now and have committed themselves entirely to the annihilation of our greatest enemy and the freedom of the tribes of the fallen Lokvar Kingdom. We support the Huroto in their efforts to purge Varica of the Suntan menace. We don’t wish to fight fellow Varicans, but if that is what we need to destroy the Sunta, then so be it. We urge the Validirans to back down.

*************************************************************************************

There are rumours that Phridia has come to Varica. He is said to support Venci. For her part, Venci denies any knowledge of Phridia and denounces his church.

Multiple demands have been made on the Imperial Army this year. Before Taka commits any forces, he will wait to see if the situation in the south can be resolved diplomatically.

To clarify the background to this conflict, the Huroto and Teral haven’t paid tribute since the beginning of the civil war more than forty five years ago. The Huroto are de facto independent. Hroth IV had planned a southern campaign, diplomatic first, then military but died before it could be carried out. The Teral still claim to be part of the Empire but really are only in name alone. The old Emperor regarded them as rebellious provinces, especially Huroto, and Taka shares these views. However, those views may not be popular and were very rarely spoken of publicly.

*************************************************************************************

In the history of Varica three regents have been appointed to the Imperial throne. The first, Hrothiya was chosen to rule in the name of her unborn sons. She called a conclave of provincial kings and courtly thanes to affirm her as regent. All tribes were equal before this conclave. Each king wielded a vote for each tribe in his realm. Each independent tribe’s thane voted for their tribe. The courtly thanes of Varica wielded one vote. Hrothiya died in childbirth six months later. The Imperial heirs died with her and there were no more of Hroth’s dynasty to rule.

Taka organized a second conclave, confirming Hrothiya’s actions as an addition to Imperial law. They chose Adalbrandr to serve as regent, but he never received word of this as he was already on campaign. An emergency conclave was held by the courtly thanes and all those who could arrive on short notice. Taka was acclaimed with half the possible electors present. The other electors mostly approved him after the fact.

OOC: I think I got everyone. Let me know if I missed something.

IC:

To: General Hroak of Varica, King Cul of Huroto, and King Tyrion of Teraldur

I shall bind myself and my state to the mediation of General Hroak. I acted on the assumption that King Cul did not, and never did, consider the Kingdom of Huroto to be part of the Varican Empire. As stated before, the Kingdom of Validira does not seek any territorial or monetary aggrandizement. We only seek the continued existence of the Suntan state for we have recognized that the Suntans have changed much in the last two decades and have long ceased to be the blood-thirsting monsters envisioned by Huroto and Teraldur.

Stats are done!

New deadline for update three! Orders are due midnight April 27th Korea Standard time. If you need an extension, just ask I have yet to refuse anyone.

IC:

Surprisingly the Validiran envoy is sent back with no harm done to him.

To: King Naxis, General Hroak and the Varican Court, King Tyrion

King Cul first wishes to address the confusion concerning Varica and Huroto. Cul has never considered himself apart from Varica. If the court of Hroth IV and Hroth V felt that Huroto had done some harm to the empire why was no envoy sent to express displeasure with Cul's conduct? King Cul regrets that he has not been able to engage in the events of the empire but this is solely due to the threats of the Sunta and the far south. The resources of the kingdom of Huroto have been dedicated over the past several decades towards dealing with the destructive Sunta, which if left unchecked would have threatened the Imperial heartlands.

King Cul is willing to sit with King Nexis and General Hroak provided that certain things are done to assure Cul that King Nexis will take these talks seriously.

All Validiran warriors must be withdrawn from Huroto territory including Gorka, Oortan and Rugasa. This may seem a big demand but realize Cul cannot sit in peace talks while the enemy is on his lands. If King Nexis does not see fit to withdraw his troops, Cul will make them leave by force. King Cul wishes King Nexis to understand that Huroto is far from defeated and is prepared to keep fighting for years to come. If Nexis truly cares about what happens to the Sunta, then he will realize that he can't defend the Sunta from Teraldur while having to fight the Huroto.

In return for this, King Cul promises not to harm any Validiran warriors while they leave, to return prisons taken during the siege of Skav, not to punish the Rugasa or annilate the Varra. King Cul also gives his sworn word on Haeka that he will take these talks seriously.

There is, however, one further thing. King Cul considers this attack on his rear to be a dishonour towards him personally and the Huroto kingdom as a whole. Thus Validira must declare a champion to meet with a Huroto champion in a dual for honours sake. King Nexis may not understand this since he ascribes himself to the Way of Peace, but General Hroak will know that in the Way of War the only way honour may be satisfied is either in the dueling arena or on the battlefield.

May Haeka show the way

To: Vigvitr, King of Assfell

Dearest brother, I rejoice at your and the Dowager Queen's arrival, for now that the full might of the Hrafn stands alongside the greatest army of the Werar, a song-worthy victory over the enemy myriads is entirely assured. If for a time the forts of the enemy gave me pause, all fear is now gone from the heart, replaced with confidence in our victory. There is no question here - I certainly shall recognise your claim, seeing as it is only proper that you shall lead the way in the siege of Jozioc; but as for myself, I would be honoured to provide you with any assistance in this noble endeavour. A thought does occur, however, that it is bad even for two very well-skilled and respectful warriors to fight in too close quarters, as they might still get in each others' way and so impede each other in their fight; so if you mean to take the brunt of the siege at Jozioc for your Black Army, then my warriors and other allies might serve our holy cause better by besieging the castle of their other chieftain, Locia, to the east after we have routed their army nearby. In this way all of us shall be able to serve Adalbrandr's memory and the Emperor's command to our utmost. I would appreciate your advice on this matter.

As for the other matter, rest assured that the dead shall ever receive what is their due in good time; or have we not gone to war to honour the memory of the battle-slain king? But at this moment it would be for the best if those prisoners remained my guests, for they can still serve our common purpose in several ways in the campaign land, allowing us to honour Adalbrandr further with an even greater victory. After this is done, I certainly shall bestow them and likely many other prisoners to the temple. In the meantime, let them serve Haeka's plans in this war, even against their own heathenish faith.

To: Haergar, King of the Oerdan

Honoured brother, know that the ones responsible for the attack on your vassals are my and the Emperor's enemies, the Manische. They have already suffered several defeats at our hands in the north, and so have been driven to attack you out of sheer despair. Though it is surely a sign that they already realize their doom, in this state they are as dangerous as cornered Fulanti, and will launch many other such raids in the future, threatening the natural and customary trade routes between our kingships, and likely launching even more direct attacks against you in the future.

With this in mind I would take it upon myself to advise you to take swift and decisive measures against them and to join the alliance that wages war against these barbarians in the Emperor's name, so as to better coordinate our efforts against our common foe.

IC:

It pleases King Naxis that the Kingdoms of Validira, Huroto, Sunta, and the Teraldur with the assistance of General Hroak have come to a satisfactory agreement of peace.

Long Live the Empire! Long Live Emperor Hroth V!

To: Hroth V, Kings Haergar and Haecadem, copied to all interested Lords of the Realm

Having successfully negotiated a treaty that brings the Teral and the Huroto back into the arms of the Emperor’s grace, the removal of the barbarian Sunta invaders, and the reclamation of the lost province of Lokvar, I have decided to return to Varica. I will return to the city with the greatest speed accompanied by one hundred Teral warriors. There warriors are but the vanguard of a force of Teral and Huroto who will prove their loyalty to your enlightened rule on the battlefields of the north. I ask that you grant me the honour of leading the Varican army north.

To: Our most f a loyal servant Hroak
From: The Emperor, chosen of Haeka, lord of ten thousand years, Hroth V

We grant you the right to lead this army north. We can only spare three hundred men for this expedition.

The army will arrive in late summer. The commanders in the north have been notified of this.

There is a flurry of communication between the Oerdan and Tessil. Eventually, the Oerdan sent out their decision.

To: Emperor Hroth V, King Haecadem and his commanders, General Hroak

We cannot ignore the plight of our kinsmen. We will march side by side with you and the other kings of Varica. We fear, however, that doing so will leave our lands and those of our allies exposed. The Cirici are on the march, the fulanti of the Boreol grow bold, and the war between the Tarnee and Tikeecee threatens to spill into Tessil lands.

We will march north to defend the lands of Varica, but we do so to defend the land of Hroth. We can afford to send no more than half of our warriors without endangering our oath to the Tessil and our own people. Sending them beyond our borders alone would be suicide. We will march north the Hrothnani, Teral, and Huroto have mustered, so that we can form an invincible army to work in concert with yours.

True to their word, the Sunta have left Varica. They have taken the Terasu and Varra with them. They have released all of their Teral slaves, all captured Huroto, and even Welaku and Yolo not considered strong enough to make the journey. The Hillmen have no taken kindly to this. All land trade routes to the south are reduced by half due to the war and will not grow this year.

I am only really waiting for The Strategos' reply right now.

36 hour warning. Orders are due 36 hours from now. If you need an extension, please let me know. I've never turned one down yet. Have fun guys.

I suppose I'll have to just assume I still have supreme command over all the armies on the Manische front anyway, and leave everyone else with the freedom to defy my orders.

@Fulton: Can you double-check my military numbers, I think that you forgot to subtract the 20 spearmen and 20 archers I lost exploring the ruins. I assumed in the orders I sent that I should have 20 less of each then what the stats say.

To: Haecadem, King of Werhold

Do what you must do and worry not, for Jozioc will be offered up as a sacrifice to the dead, a sweet savor before Haeka.

To: General Hroak the Ever-Victorious

Day and night we pleaded with the Emperor to place you in charge of an army to protect his realm against the Manische. Now that our words have been hearkened and you have been given the command you so rightly deserve, our hearts have been made at ease. We hope that you will repay the trust we have placed in you, as well as the trust the Emperor has shown you, and continue adding victories to your already impressive list.

To: Jozioc

Look to the West in fear!
For the Night beatest back the Day.
For Black Ravens blot the Bright sky,
Bringing Eternal Night to those who see it.

Put not your trust in Jozio,
For the only thing which will fall is your walls,
Or perhaps Hakea will cast Jozio from the Heavens,
Just as we will cast down your Mighty Men.

Put not your trust in stone walls,
For they are but butter before us,
Yea though they reached Haeka’s Throne
Before our right arms, they are but an ant’s abode.

Put not your trust in your right arm,
For your spear is but grass.
Like grain at harvest you will be cut down,
As wine at the winepress your blood will flow.

So quickly kiss your wife,
For soon all you will be kissing is the ground.
We will sheath our swords in your bodies,
And our other “swords” will be sheathed in your women!

OOC: Orders coming in 2-3 hours! :(

Hey Fulton, not that I am going to have a large impact this turn on other player's fortunes, but I will be unable to send orders until tomorrow night due to several pressing real life considerations!

Thanks for letting me know guys. Iggy will also be missing this turn. He explained to me what was going on, and he will receive full growth this turn with his economy reinvested. Shadowbound, however, has said nothing. He is the only player I haven't heard from, but time has run out.

I've been a bit lethargic and lazy this weekend.

Finished:
- Courtly things
- Thune things
- Southern War aftermath
- Several small wars
- PMs regarding the above

To go:
- Manische War
- Economic stuff
- Map
- Stats

Sorry guys, dunno what's keeping me from finishing.

Remaining:
- Manische casualties/results blurb
- Economics for Assfell and Werar
- Stats for Assfell, Werar, Huroto, and Valdira
- Map
- Some diplomacy

Update 3: AF 146

Great Happenings

Intrigues at Court
The court of the Emperor has become a very dangerous place. Tensions rise as the number of players in the city rises. Behind the scenes, the kings and courtiers play a deadly game.

Callista’s faction rallied from the blow of Vorchk’s failure with the help of the patriarch of her house, Matteo. Matteo arrived at the Capital to much fanfare. As soon as he could , he disappeared into his wife Elissa’s rooms. After heated discussion, they emerged. Matteo pledged to stand by the Emperor’s side as his advisor in Callista’s place, as was his right as Imperial Grandfather. He was supported in this by Heodest, the Werar ambassador who greeted him with great humility. The victory of his son in the south enhanced his already sizable reputation in the city.

Matteo’s presence calmed the city for the moment, but another Validiran quickly brought chaos to the streets. The prophet Phridia infiltrated the city in the late summer after Hroak led his Tera command northwards.

Phridia surprised his followers by throwing his support behind Venci. He claimed that the duel was genuinely the judgment of Haeka. Obviously then, Callista must be destroyed. The Phridians rallied around their leader and led a riot calling for the death of Callista. This has shaken the city and dealt both Callista and Venci a blow. Vallari now speaks against both women, calling them corruptors of the Imperial children. Venci, for her part, has denounced the Phridians, but has been unable to remove the association.

Phridia’s actions have had the side effect of distancing the Phridians from Validira and have angered many Validiran Phridians who must now choose between their divided loyalties.

While the city was in turmoil, her champion, Vorchk maintained a constant vigil at the Hrafn temple as the guest of the priest and champion Helgiverðr. He prayed for three straight before he was granted a vision by Haeka. He saw himself rising, covered in red and green slime from the river Dhun strangling a fulanti as the stars swirled around his head in an eternal struggle. With the help of the priests, he interpreted the dream as a sign from Haeka. He shouldn’t take the duel as a judgment against himself, he did only as his Emperor commanded. It was a judgment against Callista. Vorchk lived through the ordeal in order to protect Hroth V and protect him from his mother and other usurpers.

The secret war between the great families of the Empire has turned violent once more. While returning from a session with the regent and the Emperor, Matteo was set upon by armed assailants. Through luck and skill, he managed to fight off the attackers, though none were found nor any corpses recovered. What was found among the bloodstains was a broach with the crest of the Regent’s house. Matteo received only a few scratches, but a fever overtook him as he related the story to the palace Raeka. He slipped in and out of consciousness for a week, with no one sure whether he would live or die. Finally, the Imperial physician stabilized him. He is weak now, barely able to walk, but he will recover in time. The physician says only poison could do this to such a vital man.

Taka, despite his decades of loyal service, found his allies abandoning him as accusations were raised against him. If he were behind this poisoning, could he have been behind the possible poisoning of Vorchk? Did he want Callista and the Validirans out of power? Elissa held off on accusations for now, but her the court turned on Taka. He grew weaker still as he fought to regain control of the city. His last days were filled with loneliness, anguish, and toil. He died on the eve of the winter solstice.

Immediately, the courtiers began jockeying to see who would replace the Regent. A conclave would need to be held, and soon, to prevent the city from falling into chaos. The Emperor summoned the kings and thanes to send their representatives to Varica to choose Taka’s successor. By law, anyone of thanely or kingly rank, or who is a member of the Imperial family, may nominate a candidate for regent. The regent may be anyone of any rank.

The Wild War
The savage advance of the Tikeecee, Drisili, and Zostor pressed on into the civilized Thune cities. The neutral town of Ikili was sacked by a large band of Tikeecee. The citizens were deliberate left a path to escape south towards Tessilki. The Tikeecee occupied their homes and immediately began to sow the fields and fortify the town. It is clear that the ancient Tarnee-Tikeecee grudge has nothing to do with this war. The Tikeecee are heading south for entirely new reasons.

The campaign against Tarnee has also borne fruit for the exhausted Tikeecee. They broke up into several smaller, but still robust, groups as they advanced towards the bulk of the Tarnee forces. The Tarnee made a stand within sight of the walls their city. The ferocity of their onslaught, spearheaded by the Drisili, battered the Tarnee. The Drisili, towering over the other thune by an average of six inches, some as tall as five feet, simply overpowered the Tarnee the way the Yumin overpowered the Tessil thune in the last great war. Surrounded and beaten, the great Tarnee warhost surrendered. Tarnee lies before the allied army, defenseless but for its proud citizenry.

Behind the Tikeecee advance, the Drisili and Zostor have ended their journey. They’ve settled down into their newly won land. Behind them, the true enemy has appeared: Jorrae, a duke of the Manische. Sweeping all before him, Jorrae, supported by the Prince Hymbae, have defeated the mighty Drisili. Content with the Drisili homeland and the northern quarter of Tikeecee, the Manische have stopped. Though Hymbae rode with Jorrae on his campaign, it seems the prince has disappeared, leaving Jorrae invest the new thune march.

The fall of Ikili has forced the hand of the Tessil. With Ikili, a member of the Yirshian League sacked, the Tessil have no choice but to march to their aid. They are joined by hundreds of Oerdan and two hundred Validirans.

The Cirici March Again
The massive Karskian army, reinforced by Sbsisian forces and Kissulin exiles, maneuvered spent the beter part of this year trying to bring the smaller Cirici force to battle. The Cirici, in better shape and under better discipline, were able t outmaneuver the Karskians through the winter, spring, and summer months. Finally, as the autumn harvest began, the Cirici turned to face a worn down, but still eager Karskian host.

General Rii of Tiana led the Karskians towards after the Cirici, who had positioned themselves against a cliff face in the western edge of their territory. Rii knew the Cirici liked to make last stands like this, but something didn’t seem right about such a large force deliberately putting themselves into such a position. He held onto a substantial reserve in case of the Cirici trick.

The fighting was fierce. The terrain left Rii with few tactical choices. He let his arbalesters and light ballistae do their work, but the Cirici stood strong. With the heavy siege equipment he was forced to abandon in order to catch the Cirici, he would not break the Cirici. After two hours of volleys, he ordered his infantry forward.

The battle continued long into the day. Neither side could break the other. Phalanxes pushed against each other, but neither the superior numbers of the Karskians nor the superior strength of the Cirici prevailed. Slowly, the Cirici were weakening. Even is two Karskians fell for every Cirici, the Karskians would eventually win.

A hail of arrows suddenly rained down from the cliffs into the Karskian host. Volley after volley fell in the Karskians in a torrent of death. The Karskians began to panic. Rii dispatched the core of his reserve: his elite Iyikitch riders to deal with the threat. The Iyikitch raced into action, but the path above the cliffs was difficult to find and the damage had been done. The Karskians couldn’t regain their early fervor. Even though the Iyikitch eventually found a path and killed many of the hidden Yumin archers, Rii’s thune lacked the courage to make another attempt.

Both armies quit the field. The Cirici are claiming victory.

Top Bottom