City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

yes and it's clearly not like CSD. It seems that you will get 1 point each time you complete a quest and Envoy will be spy that will grant you an additional point.
You need 3pts at least to be ally and you must have the biggest influence to be/stay the ally.
I don't know if they will add "decay" with this system.

I love this mod, but it makes it very difficult for Venice to compete in the diplomatic arena due to lack of paper. As city state diplomacy is the source of Venice's main advantages, this nearly sinks the civilization unless you get either the Roman Forum and the Summer Palace or puppet a city to just be able to keep up with the paper requirements for diplomatic units. Even then, you'll only be able to support one!

Could there be some change for Venice? Maybe increase Venice's base paper by some multiple? Or allied city states could provide additional paper?

It feels like there aren't many ways to interact with a City State diplomatically.

What if you were allowed to gift gold to each individual City State once per era? It could have a poor gold -> influence conversion rate to prevent it from feeling like Vanilla. Maybe improving a City State's resource with gold could grant influence, if it doesn't already?

It also feels like City State borders expand painfully slowly, maybe have it sped up for allied ones?

Great mod, from what I'm reading.
Is it compatible with "Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (v 22)"? The paper is not generated on the map. I tried to add paper to the generator-engine - didn't work. So I have to influence CS the old way - cash :(
And another question: how far is it compatible with "SuperPower Modpack Complete Edition"? So far I had to alter only the policy tree by deleting the respective code in SPMP. Should I do more or is it enough?
And thanks for the mod :)

Is it compatible with "Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (v 22)"? The paper is not generated on the map. I tried to add paper to the generator-engine - didn't work. So I have to influence CS the old way - cash :(
And another question: how far is it compatible with "SuperPower Modpack Complete Edition"? So far I had to alter only the policy tree by deleting the respective code in SPMP. Should I do more or is it enough?

Paper is generated in buildings such as chanceries and you can also use quests to gain influence to city-states.

To the second question, sorry, I don't know? But CSD works best with the entire Vox Populi

Did you know that JFD continued the work on Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack? It is on version 24.

2thunderbird_14: it seems, that SPMP overwrites everything from CSDM. So no buildings, specs, nothing. I'm not sure is it because the game simply overwrites everything with the last file or is it because of the structure of the SPMP. Tried to put CSDM at the end of the load order (if that even exists in Civ5) - no luck. Tried to load the mod without SPMP - everything is there, at least it's in the tech tree and civpedia. Any chance to make this mod work with SPMP?

2SLGray:
Did you know that JFD continued the work on Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack? It is on version 24.
No, I didn't. Where can I find it? Searching the forum didn't worked, I got only the old v.22 topic. Edit: found it :)

Does the AI handle diplomats properly now? The last couple of games I played, every AI civ had a bunch of envoys and great diplos sitting around in their capital, doing nothing while I ally every CS. My game version is a couple of months old, though.

I love this mod, but it makes it very difficult for Venice to compete in the diplomatic arena due to lack of paper. As city state diplomacy is the source of Venice's main advantages, this nearly sinks the civilization unless you get either the Roman Forum and the Summer Palace or puppet a city to just be able to keep up with the paper requirements for diplomatic units. Even then, you'll only be able to support one!

Could there be some change for Venice? Maybe increase Venice's base paper by some multiple? Or allied city states could provide additional paper?

You can also gain rep by gifting units and (with statecraft) trade routes. And you don't need to wait for a MoV to puppet something.

...or a neighboring civ.

You can also gain rep by gifting units and (with statecraft) trade routes. And you don't need to wait for a MoV to puppet something.

...or a neighboring civ.

That said, Venice is commonly cited near the bottom of the civ barrel, giving them some free paper (maybe 1 per era) in their UA I highly doubt would be OP.

That said, Venice is commonly cited near the bottom of the civ barrel, giving them some free paper (maybe 1 per era) in their UA I highly doubt would be OP.

I'm in the camp of, "Feck it, let them settle cities," personally. :lol:

Anybody experiencing the lack of names for Great Diplomat in mid-to-later eras? Playing with a 22 civs, with only 18 surviving into the industrial eras, and 24-ish City States, which when I noticed that Great Diplomats seemed to have run out of names. Its nothing serious, just letting you guys know that maybe, we can add more names to the bin.
Spoiler :
Can people still add more suggestions in this thread or am I too far late?

@Gazebo I really like this mod but it is brutal for tall playing style. You intentionally make paper less and less efficient as you increase in eras and then provide no way at all to get enough paper to even begin to compensate. This is a mod killer. How am I supposed to compete against wide AIs for influence at all let alone win the influence battle when I only have a handful of cities. There is no scaling, no buildings, not anything to compensate for play style. I am really needing some kind of suggestion on how to fix this through editing the mod that would be balanced, if that is possible.

Haven't you tested the mod with tall games and seen the kind of devastation that happens when you double the paper cost without doubling the influence? By the end you are paying twice as much for half the result. This is not sustainable in a tall game. There is nothing you can do to compensate for this. Please help.

@Gazebo I really like this mod but it is brutal for tall playing style. You intentionally make paper less and less efficient as you increase in eras and then provide no way at all to get enough paper to even begin to compensate. This is a mod killer. How am I supposed to compete against wide AIs for influence at all let alone win the influence battle when I only have a handful of cities. There is no scaling, no buildings, not anything to compensate for play style. I am really needing some kind of suggestion on how to fix this through editing the mod that would be balanced, if that is possible.

Haven't you tested the mod with tall games and seen the kind of devastation that happens when you double the paper cost without doubling the influence? By the end you are paying twice as much for half the result. This is not sustainable in a tall game. There is nothing you can do to compensate for this. Please help.

I don't think this aspect of the mod has changed in a long time, so yes, it's been tested pretty thoroughly. A Diplomatic Victory favors a wide playing style, to some degree. But I mostly play tall (4-5 cities, then expand some more late), and gain control of the WC very early on in almost every game I play, when it's no problem as a tall civ. After that, it's if anything too easy to snowball a chain of "spheres of influence" into an eventual Diplo victory.

I don't think this aspect of the mod has changed in a long time, so yes, it's been tested pretty thoroughly. A Diplomatic Victory favors a wide playing style, to some degree. But I mostly play tall (4-5 cities, then expand some more late), and gain control of the WC very early on in almost every game I play, when it's no problem as a tall civ. After that, it's if anything too easy to snowball a chain of "spheres of influence" into an eventual Diplo victory.

It could be that the difference is that I play exclusively on huge maps. I go from making 6 Emissaries with 120 influence to 1 Envoy with 30 influence and it can take over 15 turns to get to the nearest city state. I think diplomatic movement rates need to scale with map size to fix the problem. There is no way you can call what I just described on a huge map as sustainable. I somehow wound up with a huge continent that has no Civ-States on it even though there are 41 in the game. I can't make up the travel distance no matter what changes I make. This is definitely in need of a solution.

It could be that the difference is that I play exclusively on huge maps. I go from making 6 Emissaries with 120 influence to 1 Envoy with 30 influence and it can take over 15 turns to get to the nearest city state. I think diplomatic movement rates need to scale with map size to fix the problem. There is no way you can call what I just described on a huge map as sustainable. I somehow wound up with a huge continent that has no Civ-States on it even though there are 41 in the game. I can't make up the travel distance no matter what changes I make. This is definitely in need of a solution.

Yeah, that is different -- and bad luck! I've just never noticed complaints about tall and a Diplo vicotry before.

Yeah, that is different -- and bad luck! I've just never noticed complaints about tall and a Diplo vicotry before.

I think almost no one plays on huge maps. The game is so poorly coded that it's insanely slow no matter how good your computer is and that gets multiplied by huge maps. I almost never see anyone talking about the problems with huge maps for any aspect of the game. I am hoping that Gazebo tells me that I can change diplomat movement for huge maps somehow to ameliorate the problem at least a little.

This is true. And with the AI having a seemingly endless supply of Great Diplomats (together with legions of paperless diplomats/envoys/et al.) it's a battle that can never be won, not even close.

Top Bottom