Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

>Post #2000

I'll update this post in due time regarding All the Unique abilities of upcoming civs!

Also - let's talk Malaysia peace and war themes, a rework of the Lantanka Cannon and a Unique Ability for South Africa based around Mandela's vision for a Rainbow Nation.

South Africa's attributes however are a different story. Safari Park is probably going to be either a building or a UI, but buildings and units are sparse. So, in typical CL gimmicky fashion, let's go where no civ has gone before.

Let's talk Unique Diplomats (Peacekeepers).
so wait. South Africa has to go with the city state diplomacy mod? sounds cool actually. What if they got extra faith or culture every time they used a diplomatic unit to increase influence with a city state?

The mod has some new buildings too. Should the South African UB replace one of the mod only buildings?

If it's peace themes you're after, this video is a good place to start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCB_Rn3ex4

I especially like the first one and the one that starts at 4:44; they're very happy and upbeat, with a nice tropical feel. These are only short previews, though. I'll have to find time to chase down the full tracks after work.

These people also have an extensive repertoire you may want to consider browsing through, although I haven't found anything that might work yet:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AngklungEindhoven/videos

What if Mandela got +1 Golden Age points from each DoF/Allied CS/both?

The Lantaka cannons can sort of stay as they are if you just steal JFD's Carthage code. Just have them turn into boats upon embarking, and have them change back into guns when entering cities in boat mode.

Otherwise, you could give them some other sort of bonus centered around naval combat.

Peacekeepers/Great Diplomats sound interesting, though I wouldn't make them rely on another mod (though you could include code that makes them compatible). Have you got any ideas for effects yet? I'd assume something to do with City-States, but if not, let's see...

(Replaces Great Writer (as it sort of makes sense). Cannot create Great Works, but instead can write *Insert something to do with political speeches here*, which give you an extra delegate in the World Congress. May do Diplomatic Missions to City States, earning influence with them.)

If the UA gave Golden Age Points from Allied City-States, then this would work perfectly. If nobody's jumped on the code for South Africa yet, I'll do it after Afghanistan.

so wait. South Africa has to go with the city state diplomacy mod??

Nope, I meant Diplomats as in the Diplomats you get in the Espionage screen in BNW.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Peacekeeper: Unique Diplomat available only to the South African civilization. Provides an additional +1 Delegate to the World Congress when placed in a foreign civilization's city, even before researching Globalization. If a Peacekeeper is placed in a foreign civilization's city and the and the owner returns to Peace following a war, the Peacekeeper will provide a 15% Bonus to Military Unit Production in that city for the duration of the Peace Treaty.

Is that even possible?

Also, to represent the multiculturalism, GA points for internal trade routes like we discussed before? He really should be a GA/diplo civ.

Peacekeeper: If a Peacekeeper is placed in a foreign civilization's city and the and the owner returns to Peace following a war, the Peacekeeper will provide a 15% Bonus to Military Unit Production in that city for the duration of the Peace Treaty.

What use would that be?

It wouldn't be of any use for South Africa, but it'd replicate the actions of a Peacekeeping Force enough. It's a trade-off essentially. +1 Surefire Delegate per civ pre-Globalization is pretty powerful. It also allows you to focus on the Science Victory side of the tech-tree without having to take that detour through Telecommunications -> Globalization immediately. Also - placing your Spies/Peacekeepers in foreign cities will allow you to control the World Congress nicely. The bonus is pretty powerful. It's a concept nonetheless - but one way to demonstrate what Peacekeepers do.

It wouldn't be of any use for South Africa, but it'd replicate the actions of a Peacekeeping Force enough. It's a trade-off essentially. +1 Surefire Delegate per civ pre-Globalization is pretty powerful. It also allows you to focus on the Science Victory side of the tech-tree without having to take that detour through Telecommunications -> Globalization immediately. Also - placing your Spies/Peacekeepers in foreign cities will allow you to control the World Congress nicely. The bonus is pretty powerful. It's a concept nonetheless - but one way to demonstrate what Peacekeepers do.

Carry on then :)

If the UA gave Golden Age Points from Allied City-States, then this would work perfectly. If nobody's jumped on the code for South Africa yet, I'll do it after Afghanistan.

http://i.imgur.com/AH1DxXu.png

That didn't happen in my playthrough... What other mods were you using? And what were your map settings?

Great Plains Plus on Quick.

Installed mods were Historical Religions, Peru Civilization by Leugi, Uruguay Civilization by myself, the Blackfoot Confederacy and your Mexican civilization.

If you had more than the allocated amount of civs, sometimes it can do that. For example - you can't have 22 civs on a Ring map. You'll die instantly.

I only played the Blackfoot to the medieval era, but I do have some things to report/suggest:

1. I'm not getting extra faith from shrine replacement

2. It occurred to me (after fighting like ten barbs in my territory and not counting coup) To keep the permanent golden age from happening, only restricting ranged units to the territorial requirement.

Hello TPangolin.

I want to play with your mods but I have a problem.
I downloaded Mexico and Boers, and in Both of them the problem happened. After I downloaded the mods I didn't see that I downloaded them and I couldn't play them. After some seconds the game autommatically exit and the steam was downloading something, and after some minuets steam exit too. When I ran steam again and entered the game, there was no sign for the mods.

Why did it happens? What the problem? Could you help me?

Did you try manually installing them? The instructions are on the Boers steam page. It's really quite easy.

Peacekeepers/Great Diplomats sound interesting, though I wouldn't make them rely on another mod (though you could include code that makes them compatible). Have you got any ideas for effects yet? I'd assume something to do with City-States, but if not, let's see...

(Replaces Great Writer (as it sort of makes sense). Cannot create Great Works, but instead can write *Insert something to do with political speeches here*, which give you an extra delegate in the World Congress. May do Diplomatic Missions to City States, earning influence with them.)

I wouldn't throw out the idea of using the city state diplomacy mod by Gazebo, just yet. Perhaps the south african civ can just come with the mod itself.

Link to the mod in case people don't know what I'm talking about
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392543

Anyways until now I never played with the mod myself. It didn't interest me enough to make me want to mess with it until now.

However I think an idea that game you a bonus might be neat.

Here is how the mod works according to modder's topic.
-gold gives less influence, instead you build emissaries to get influence
-new great person Great Diplomat, He can either be used to give high amounts of Influence or build an embassy giving you another vote in the world congress.

how about something like this

UA: when ever South Africa uses an emissary to gain influence with a city state, they get a bonus based on the type of city state for a few turns. So in other words, you don't need to be allied to get that bonus giving you a nice boost in the form of a new unit, extra food or happiness.

UU: How about a unique Great Person? No idea what to call it, but instead of just being used get influence he can do diplomatic mission. If he uses it on a CS with no ally, you get enough influence to get allied. If you use it on one with an ally, he makes 70 influence and he halves the total influence that civ has. So if Alex has a massive amount of influence to the point where there would normally be no hope of getting that CS back, you can use one of these to cut him down and put it back in your grasp.

thoughts?

To contribute to the South Africa design, while I do agree with the concept of making Mandela's SA a very peaceful civ, I also believe in the philosophy of every Civ having at least ONE unique Military unit. And hear me out, because I think I have an idea, but I just don't know how to put it together...

South Africa has pretty heavily militarized police, that's for sure. And if you ask any military historian armchair general racist on the internet, they'll tell you that South African police, especially their Special Task Force, are extreme operators, and should easily be represented through a Unique Unit. Except instead of replacing Infantry or something, and being only useful in an aggressive late-game military, they could be a completely Unique unit, ala Switzerland's Combat Medic, and only acquired when a Police Station is built. Weaker than standard late-game units, obviously, but receives a large combat bonus when in or adjacent to a friendly city, provides some sort of bonus when garrisoned in a city, like Mexico's Rurales (increases Happiness? reduces Happiness because lolpolice, but increases Production/Tourism?), and to keep with the SA diplomacy theme, and as South Africans did a lot of mercenary work during the Rhodesian Bush War (though the famed Rhodesian "British South Africa Police" actually had no affiliation with the nation of South Africa), perhaps grants additional influence when gifted to a city-state? Or maybe UberGeneral's idea of a CS-type-specific bonus from a unique Merchant could be woven into this unit, somehow? To get rid of that wall of text and summarize that into a complete design:

Special Task Force
Cost:
null
Combat Strength: 45
Prereq Tech: Electricity
Unique Unit only available to South Africa, and may only be acquired by building a Police Station. Receives a 20% Combat Bonus when stationed in or adjacent to a Friendly city. When garrisoned in a city, decreases local Happiness by 1, but increases Production by 5% for each level the unit has, to a maximum of 30%. Generates double Influence when gifted to a city-state.

So as an end result, you have a military UU to appease those like me and keep SA militarily relevant in-game, yet severely limiting the NUMBER of those units you can churn out, making you develop your cities and focus on Buildings, and therefore still keeping with Mandela's peaceful/diplomatic theme.

Top Bottom