What do i do about warring city states

vorius

Warlord
I got in a war with a civ that loves city states, so i got a bunch of little annoying ones near by borders.

I went and beseieged one, hoping that by winning the siege the game will give me an option to force peace somehow and I wouldnt actually have to take the city, or at least be able to raze it... so I was very surprised to find no such options, the game treats them like capital cities :cry:

Any thing else I can do to quiet them, or do I just have to try and ignore them?

I too get really annoyed with City State wars. I think your best option is to kill their units, and park a few units by their borders to farm experience while you're at war elsewhere. If you have some fast units like Cavalry it's nice to pillage their improvements and steal workers, even if you just end up deleting the workers for $$.

Also, it pays to take a look at which City States your enemy is allied with before going to war. Sometimes a quick quest can flip one near your borders (or theirs) and it changes the complexion of the fight. Getting them to help you out, or not having to fight on multiple fronts yourself can make things a lot easier.

Yup, the best advice is make sure they are your allies and not your opponents during the war.

The diplomatic penalaties are pretty bad for capturing a city state even if they started the war. Have some units defend your boarder cities but otherwise try to ignore the war unless there's something really good about the city state that you'd only get by conquest (such as natural wonder)

If there happens to be a neutral city state next to a hostile one, ally the neutral city state and watch these city states fight. In this case you might want to help your city state ally conquest the hostile one so that being allied with one you get the bonuses both have.

Yeah, there should really be an option when it comes to CS´s that if you defeat them and capture them you could have the choice to not annex or puppet them but instead force peace with them and then they can not declare war on you for 10 turns.

It has happened to me to, when I gotten a little to carried away with the war and by "mistake" conquered a CS I really did not planned on concurring (but it can get really annoying when they keep sending their little pikeman to my borders...).

Not much can be done about them. I try and set up a contain with a few fortified front-liners and maybe a Gatling Gun, and then forget about them. I generally keep some Cavalry somewhere in my empire for Barbarian-whacking too should the need arise, and they can be a response force when the contain fails.

Dat feeling when you get conquered by a CS.

:cry:

If you can afford to, take out the AI civ the CS's are allied with; then peace those puppies, and buy them out later .

There really should be an option to force peace on a captured CS. Even when they are not "peace blocked" you should be able to loot the city then leave them be, for a minor warmonger penalty instead of extreme.

City state wars means that you have failed diplomacy and failed to make alliances. Alliances can help you kill off annoying civilizations without having to go through the warmongering penalties from killing civilizations off by yourself.

Has anyone ever seen a situation where city states keep fighting each other forever even though their allies have made peace? Or they don't even have an ally, they are just fighting for no apparent reason? I played the Into The Renaissance scenario and watched Florence and Venice fight on and on even though there didn't seem to be any cause for it. Maybe this was a glitch caused by the special programming of that scenario?

Has anyone ever seen a situation where city states keep fighting each other forever even though their allies have made peace? Or they don't even have an ally, they are just fighting for no apparent reason? I played the Into The Renaissance scenario and watched Florence and Venice fight on and on even though there didn't seem to be any cause for it. Maybe this was a glitch caused by the special programming of that scenario?

Oh yes. Its uncommon, and I haven't figured the reasons, but I've definitely seen city states continue to make war on each other long after there's peace all round amongst their parent civs.

I suspect its to do with other AIs war declarations. As in, if an AI is at war with CS1, then its ally CS2 has to stay at war with CS1.

There really should be an option to force peace on a captured CS. Even when they are not "peace blocked" you should be able to loot the city then leave them be, for a minor warmonger penalty instead of extreme.

I agree this would be less annoying, but it would also mean you can solve the City State problem more easily with force of arms alone. As this game is already heavily weight towards military solutions i think such a mod would be bad for the game balance overall.

Having this option as an Autocracy or Honor policy, otoh, would be a great idea. Call it an Honor Policy called Pax Imperia that lets you force peace and gain an influence bonus on a city state you conquer, and that'd be really cool

In reference to #7 above, I had a game with Portugal, where Lisbon(coastal) was surrounded by 4 CS's, me being Aztec(deep jungle, NO coast), I had to DW 4 CS's, to get there; pillaged my way past them, but did NOT take those CS's (OH,NO !!!),and took out Lisbon, and made peace with those 4 CS's .
Not much of a Diplo-hit, after Lisbon, flooded those CS's with trade routes, and later bought them out for cheap !

Are you guys aware you can coup a CS that is at war with you with a spy. Although the odds are pretty low in the earlier eras I find when you reach the later ones more often than not the coup will be successful. Just remember to make peace immediately after.

Can I piggy-back a question onto this one rather than starting a fresh thread?

I'm playing as Portugal for the first time. If a CS where you've built a feitoria goes to war with you, will they tear down your feitoria?

Alex is in the game, so before long, he'll be allied with all the city states. I see a war with him shaping up, but I don't want to suddenly lose all the happiness I've come to depend on from the feitoria.

I was once in a situation that a City-State on the verge of capturing one of my city while I am about to capture the AI's city. I had to sign peace with that AI just to keep my city, build more units to defend then wait for the peace treaty to expire :wallbash:

Oh yes. Its uncommon, and I haven't figured the reasons, but I've definitely seen city states continue to make war on each other long after there's peace all round amongst their parent civs.

I suspect its to do with other AIs war declarations. As in, if an AI is at war with CS1, then its ally CS2 has to stay at war with CS1.

I agree this would be less annoying, but it would also mean you can solve the City State problem more easily with force of arms alone. As this game is already heavily weight towards military solutions i think such a mod would be bad for the game balance overall.

Having this option as an Autocracy or Honor policy, otoh, would be a great idea. Call it an Honor Policy called Pax Imperia that lets you force peace and gain an influence bonus on a city state you conquer, and that'd be really cool

I THINK this happens when the influence state changes during a war. So Civ 1 is allies with CS1 and Civ 2 with CS2. They go to war, but during the war Civ 2 loses alliance. For some reason Civ 1 doesn't make peace with the City State, and when the war is over, it's not included in the peace deal because it's not allied with anyone anymore. Thus, CS1 and CS2 are still at war with no resolution, because City States are incapable of diplomacy.

It might only happen with human players - sometimes I forget to make peace with City States for this same reason, the AI loses their influence during the war. My CS allies will keep fighting it after the war is over, until I make peace.

I do love that idea of forced peace. I've been warmongering a lot more later, and it pisses me off that I can't get trades with other leaders to fix happiness issues. How about you trade me that Gold lux on a 1:1, and I don't destroy your entire population? It seems like the strongest civs should have more power to force trades/conditions (like open borders), rather than just going to war again.

I'm playing as Portugal for the first time. If a CS where you've built a feitoria goes to war with you, will they tear down your feitoria?

No. I've only played one game with Portugal, but I was watching those feitorias pretty closely. The CS will remove your feitoira only if it turns out later to have a strategic resource underneath it. Once I noticed this, I would build two of them in CS territory when I could. War is not factor, but note that you will loose the feitoria benefit while at war with the CS.

Lindsay had some good advice in that you capture all the CS workers you can, and when the war's over you send them over to barbs to be captured and then you recapture them (and return them to CS). You might make a new friend.

note that you will loose the feitoria benefit while at war with the CS.

Yikes, that's almost as bad.

Alex's CS hogging is a menace in so many ways.

Top Bottom