Caroleans: Blitz or Woodsman?

JimBobV

Warlord
So I'm playing a domination game as Sweden and I was just wondering which one out of the tier four promotions is best. Blitz would synchronize fairly well with march, however I'm playing a large europe map with a decent amount of forests, where woodsman would seriously help my mobility.

Blitz because double attack will help you level up faster and thus get you to Woodsman comparatively faster. That's my 5 cents.

Blitz because double attack will help you level up faster and thus get you to Woodsman comparatively faster. That's my 5 cents.

Thanks. I just thought blitz would make my troops more vulnerable to death is all.

I did woodsman when I was Swede, but now I lean toward blitz. Not so much to attack twice, but so you can attack and then retreat. Logistics has the same effect on ranged units, except that you are more apt to attack twice with ranged, because they don't take any damage for attacking.

Thanks. I just thought blitz would make my troops more vulnerable to death is all.

Siege is an overlooked promotion for melee units. Very useful for taking down cities quickly especially if you don't want to tech to artillery and go straight for plastics. Siege Caroleans are the best because they heal after attack and will be able to wear down cities much faster than cannons.

What promotions do they have already? There's a long list of things I'd take before Woodsman - have you got both Cover promotions, both Medic promotions, etc.

Blitz would be my choice between the two, but there's other stuff I would go with first.

What promotions do they have already? There's a long list of things I'd take before Woodsman - have you got both Cover promotions, both Medic promotions, etc.

Blitz would be my choice between the two, but there's other stuff I would go with first.

I don't usually take the medic promotions with caroleans. I just look at them as standard riflemen that heal a tiny bit extra each turn. However, in my current game all my muskets are either shock or drill III. I just finished military science in hopes of grabbing Brandenburg gate, and I'm two techs from rifling.

Having medic II means that if you have your units standing next to each other they heal 20 hp each turn for free. You don't need it on all, just so long as each carolean is standing next to one.

I don't usually take the medic promotions with caroleans. I just look at them as standard riflemen that heal a tiny bit extra each turn. However, in my current game all my muskets are either shock or drill III. I just finished military science in hopes of grabbing Brandenburg gate, and I'm two techs from rifling.

Okay, but with each of the Caroleans having Medic 1 & 2 they heal 25 hp/turn instead of 10. It means they almost work like Ranged units because they just heal any damage back when they attack.

I'm a big fan of Medic - it lets your troops sponge tons of damage and even helps out units that don't have it (like supporting Crossbows/Gatlings, etc.)

Medic for sure. You can roll non-stop with a 2-3 medics and 5-6 cover/siege mix units. Only thing stopping you is happiness. Their upgrade path is synchronized with the normal tech path to boot. Great unit.

Eventually you will need 3 rocket artillery units, but you should have "won" by this point.

Yes, to be a bit more elaborate than what I said yesterday, it does really depend on circumstances. If you judge that Woodsman will be the difference between them surviving or not, obviously you should go with Woodsman, so that should be your pick against an opponent with stronger units and/or very strong cities. If you face an opponent with many weaker units that you can scavenge for XP, you should go with Blitz. Obviously Blitz only helps you under circumstances where you can use the second attack, so if double-attacking will mean death of your unit, that's not the right choice.

Medic II Caroleans is a pretty good analogy of teamwork. One Medic II Carolean heals 15HP per turn, but two next to each other heals 25HP each. Really fits their theme of "constant attacking"

Top Bottom