Do You Time Travel (Cheat)

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Pounder

Phaethon was here
For the most part I don't cheat, but recently (past couple of years) if I mis-key something, and even in a couple of cases if something happened like a city riot that I was specifically checking for and shouldn't have missed I might reload, but usually I accept the consequences of non-fat-finger mistakes.

On the other hand, I almost never finish games and usually abandon them mid-MA or early-IA because I enjoy the early expansion and race to the top more than I do the extended micromanaging of the late game.

Ultimately it comes down to that the point of the game is to enjoy myself, and for me that usually involves playing "by the rules"...until it doesn't.

Edit: Also, I am speaking almost exclusively one-turn rollbacks. Maybe once or twice ever I've gone back more than one turn to correct a wrong; I can't remember the situation(s). I have replayed my own and others' games from a certain save before, but usually to illustrate or learn; I don't consider those time travel or cheating, and if I'm sharing the experience with someone else I feel compelled to carefully present my spoiler knowledge.

Never won a game in which I reloaded 'cuz my heart wasn't in it. It's cheating pure and simple, Puppeteer's keystroke mishaps excepted. Yeah I know it's "just a game," but as a controversial British politician once noted, "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well."

ı do all it all the time and average 10 days or 15 in a -say- 180 X 180 tile game . And ı enjoy it , too . Better than losing an army or two or a wonder getting built by someone else on some other continent .

edit : and ı think ı should really check the dates before posting . Assumed this was an ongoing discussion ...

Never done it, but I think cheating the RNG to get a leader for the forbidden palace is OK. You shouldn't have to go to war or do a complicated, unnatural palace jump (which could also be considered cheating) that screws up the rest of your game plan. I'm gonna mod my next game to make the FP cost 50 shields, but it's too bad that modded games don't show up on the high score list.

I never reload, even when I miss-click, it frustrates me but I try to face this as a challenge.. unless I galacticaly (spellchecker says this is not a word - it should be) miss-click.

(slight offtopic... sorry)
I'm gonna mod my next game to make the FP cost 50 shields, but it's too bad that modded games don't show up on the high score list.
Or you can make Civil Engineers available earlier :lol:
Seriously what are the 99% corrupt cities good for? Building improvements when civil engineers are available? However the improvements like Libraries and so on are still not useful..

I shamelssly take do overs. To avoid the temptation, I play with it set so combat RNG's are preserved. I'll take a ridiculous risk in combat and if it succeeds play on and if it (as expected fails) redo and wait a turn for reinforcements. Admittedly it teaches bad habits, but it's "just a game"!

Only when it was due to a crash (quite rare in Civ3), or a conceptual misunderstanding (also quite rare in Civ3). An example of the latter happened recently in Civ4. I was playing as Arabia, and the Ottomans were a few turns from a cultural victory. I planned to declare war on them a couple turns before they'd win and raze their cultural capital. A few turns before that, a vote came up to "Stop with war with Suleiman", which involved someone else. I voted yes, since that war was not helping matters at all, and the vote passed, and the war ended. Unbeknownst to me until then was not only did that war end, but no one could declare war on the Ottomans for the next 10 turns. Since I would never have voted that way had I realized that's how the voting worked, I was okay with reloading, voting to defy the resolution, and going on (which, nevertheless, also led to defeat).

I can't recall a similar situation in Civ3, though. By now I'm pretty familiar with the intricacies of Civ3 and what the effects of my actions in terms of game rules will be.

walletta said:
I cheat all the time. I don't think it's cheating either.

It's rather ironic when put that way - you don't think what you're doing is what you say it is :crazyeye:.

Load&Save is standard in computer based gaming . :p

Yes there was a time when games had only one Option: to complete at once.
But that is back in the days of 70-80's.

Thus I voted "ýes, replay" but I don't consider it 'cheating'.
To cheat is to alter the game for your own benefit by non-standard means. Like using editors, pokes, god-mode, etc. Maybe some loop-holes in the code should count as cheating too.
But seriously, since PC gaming exist games have gone weird occasionally and I wouldn't
accept some insane results because some people feel like save games are cheat-mode...

Example:
C3C : 1 defending AI controlled unit beats multiple attackers without any reason, like outdated units with zero boni beating superior modern units. If I don't attack, next turn the same unit dies instantly in the first challenge no matter whom I send.

Thats when I just reload. Because it gets worse if you don't.

Civ1 : 1 Galley beats my battleship. A sailing ship ( attack value 0 ! ) takes revenge by attacking the Galley and wins. Sure, those transports shouldn't be able to attack...

Sorry people, I don't believe in perfect software so I rather reload than run with silly things.

I only cheat when I've missed something or mis-clicked something.

When I send a worker on a mountain or something, or when I didn't see the barbarian camp pop up in some distant corner and they take out a stack of workers.

I don't re-do battles though, I just play with whatever the dice rolled.

Never done it, but I think cheating the RNG to get a leader for the forbidden palace is OK. You shouldn't have to go to war or do a complicated, unnatural palace jump (which could also be considered cheating) that screws up the rest of your game plan. I'm gonna mod my next game to make the FP cost 50 shields, but it's too bad that modded games don't show up on the high score list.

Add them to the HighScores file, I have all the games I have played over the years in there.

It can be opened with notepad.

Top Bottom