Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

Haven't been around much lately since I'm on another FfH II kick, but since I suggested Creation originally, I'll try to provide some feedback.

Creation is a good map for turtling as the high number of mountain valleys make defense easy. On the downside, the limited amount of land means rapid early expansion is important, as is aggressive exploration to find worthwhile sites. {Chuckles' IMP trait will be valuable here.}

Another reason aggressive exploration is important is that the while Cephalo (the script's creator) worked hard to make sure every mountain valley is accessable, the path is not always obvious or direct. It is quite possible in order to get to your immediate neighbor in the next valley over you may have to go four valleys north and fight through two intervening AIs and a barb city or two, and only then can you go south to your primary target. Paratroopers and missiles will be useful on this mapscript should the game go on so long.

The defensive aspects of the script can also work against you, as the AIs can turtle and fortify the chokepoints as well, and BtS does not have Fireballs and Summon spells like FfH II does. {As a number of more skilled BtS players have pointed out, there is no such thing as too much Siege ...}

Spoiler Creation/Erebus in FfH II :
Since barbs in FfH and the mods thereof are so dangerous in the early game, rapid early expansion is not possible. In fact, the experienced player simply queues up four Warriors before building the first Worker, unlike BtS where Worker first is usually the wisest opening. One reason Cephalo wrote this script was to make the FfH opening game easier. He also wrote it to foster more conflict, being that epic struggles between Good and Evil are a recurring leitmotif of the fantasy genre, thus the limited amount of useful land.

Just a quick question.

I know the posts were made a year ago, but on the first page you guys keep talking about a leader named Sid.

Who exactly is that?

@dalamb

after looking at the last NC map I think it would be nice to use some heavy food map for next game (and ideally low commerce at the same time).

Is there even one?

@dalamb

after looking at the last NC map I think it would be nice to use some heavy food map for next game (and ideally low commerce at the same time).

Is there even one?

That would be good, I'd like to try that

I don't know if there's a map type that guarantees high food, but I'll ask in the General forum later today. I suspect Planet Generator or Full of Resources might, but I haven't figured those out yet.

It wouldn't be all that hard for me just to take a normal map and add lots of food -- might take less time than examining how Creation worked.

Just a quick question.

I know the posts were made a year ago, but on the first page you guys keep talking about a leader named Sid.

Who exactly is that?

He's the leader of the Minors, who are civs that are automatically at war with everybody else, and he has no starting traits or UU's. I don't actually know how to be Sid, but i think TMIT had a guide that told you how.

This is the LHC with him here.

Hammurabi (Agg/Org) is scheduled for July 8, and given that the current game is an unusual map, he should get a more "ordinary" one. Given the request for a food-rich map I'll probably play around with Full of Resources but it has a huge number of options, which AFAIK let it simulate a lot of other map types -- so free free to suggest what basic map type you'd like it to resemble. Org is good for a larger early empire, the Hammam good for large cities (+2:health: as well as the colliseum's usual +1:)), and Agg good for early conquest. The Bowman is a good defensive unit (getting +50% versus the usual melee attackers) but not so great on offence; nevertheless as long as there's copper for axemen the UU helps with conquest by letting you feel safer with fewer defenders when you conquer a city. All this means I think the map should allow some early REX and an axe rush. But feel free to suggest something different.

I am thinking of modifying the initial boilerplate slightly:
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice. If you're new to Noble, consider the list of learning resources.
The stuff in italics is the revision; the link is in the first Bullpen post, but I think it belongs in each game, too.

dunno rain forest mentioned before heared good... but there is usually a lot of jungle involved.

I played my most recent game on rainforest, partly with this suggestion in mind to see what it was like. Copious jungle but loads of food (like 3 rice adjacent, wet corn in cap etc).
I tried a game with full of resources to try a game on a lower difficulty without iron or something. Think I did something wrong because I had absolutely ridiculous amounts of food, gems and stuff. It was madness. But it shouldn't be so bad to work out with time...

NC 77 Hammurabi is up. As requested, it's a food-rich map.

I'm starting to plan the next round of 5-6 leaders; for perfect trait distribution, one round covers 5 unique combinations and the next covers 6 combinations with one duplicate trait. At the moment every trait has been played four times. Feel free to suggest which unplayed leader(s) to try this time. For some reason I'm partial to Shaka today (Agg/Exp) though we'd play him a bit later in the round because Hammy is also Agg, but we can leave him out for now if people prefer some other Agg or Exp leader.

Out of all the civs with more than one leader, there hasn't been a Russian, Indian, or Mongolian leader this cycle, maybe one of those leaders?

High food maps are too easy, as of NC 75/77. It's fun, but not much challenge.

High food maps are too easy, as of NC 75/77. It's fun, but not much challenge.

Yeah... 809 thousand points for me on NC77. That's so far beyond the bounds of ridiculous I don't know what else to say. And I could have 'juiced' that for another 300 years and likely gotten substantially better.

Hello all, just-registered-lurker here, ready to jump in on this round for Nobles' Club. Look forward to gaming with you all!

I personally think I've erred to far in the direction of "nonstandard maps". I also think the high food on NC 77 was a serious misinterpretation of what someone was asking for. So I expect that in future there'll be maybe only one "nonstandard" map per mini-cycle, and if somebody asks for something specific, I'll try harder to make sure I understand exactly what they mean.

I'll make sure to put in at least one of Russia, India, or Mongolia this time; likely I can fit in two of them given that they all have multiple choices of trait combinations.

A good old Pangaea for next NC then? :) I'm a week late with IU and didn't post a UR last week either feel like I'm slacking :p

Top Bottom