[Modmod+scenario idea] A world of ice.

Silver_wizard

Chieftain
Spoiler for background.
Spoiler :
It should have ended that day, the day that Kylorin was victorious, and Mulcarn was defeated, but it did not. Though Mulcarn was defeated, his army disbanded and the feared priests of winter were gone, winter did not cease to be, sure, it lessened somewhat, most of the blizzards were gone, but the world was still largely frozen. The frozen lakes and the rivers melted, fish began to swim one more, and some land animals, adapted to cold, came out of hiding to live in a world of ice and tundra. It was in this world that elves, men and dwarves would try to build their lives and empires. In the middle of what once was the great elven forest, where the Yggdrasil still stood, trees began to grow again, and were soon contested by both elven courts. The various tribes of man began to fish in the lakes, and hunt for food on the tundra, the dwarves, as they had always done, went to the now blizzard-free mountains to mine for ore. But they were not alone in this world, as the Illians were still there, defeated, but about to retake the world and Auric Ulvin, their leader, planned to ascend to godhood, to keep the world in this winter for ever. On the other end of the world, in the only valley far enough away from the Letum Frigius to be fully melted demons began to appear, planning to turn the whole world into hell, rather than ice. It will only take a short time and the world will be a battlefield between ice and hellfire.

The idea is this: you'll get a largely frozen map and the goal is to slowly terraform the world into an inhabitable place to live in.
This would require (apart from the map):
=> a few more terraforming spells: Scorch is a nice tier 1 spell, but having to wait for archmages and Vitalize to finish the job is a bit over the top. I am thinking of a tier 2 spell that would change tundra into plains, and perhaps some more.
=> changes to palace mana, as having, say, fire mana would give an unfair advantage. Besides, with the slow start i am imagining, palaces are way to powerful.
=> a way to add in resources, as the world warms up, animals and such should appear. I am not sure about how to do this yet, both events and spells seem good ideas.

But the main question is this: how would the AI handle it? Would the AI terraform it's lands into a warmer place?

Feel welcome to post suggestions (or tell me that i am an idiot).

But the main question is this: how would the AI handle it? Would the AI terraform it's lands into a warmer place?

AI Terraforming is handled in CvGameUtils.py under the AI_MageTurn function. The AI understands how to use existing spells for terraforming, but if you added new spells or changed the functionality of the ones already in place, the above-mentioned function would need to be altered to account for those changes.

isn't this kind of what the end of winter option does?

Nope, in end of winter, the world warms up by itself, my idea is that the players will have to terraform it (and it will be even colder).

Top Bottom