Playing Civ 5 over Hamachi

Dmentorr

Chieftain
Hi there!

My friend and I have been trying to play Civ 5 over hamachi. We have a strong internet connection and all, but somehow when we are connected and we go onto the Local Network screen, if he hosts or I host the game it doesn't appear on our respective sides. I can't understand why this is happening. We would be chatting and pinging over hamachi and all seems fine. But then, when we go into "local network" and one of us hosts the game, nothing.

I have the game on Steam, whilst he got it at home. I can't understand what the problem is.

He also downloaded it via steam using my account, then we go "offline" on steam and we try to play the game without steam using internet, but it doesn't seem to work via Hamachi. We both ping, and the lag isn't too bad.

Any ideas what can be done? Nothing found on the internet...

i would prefer to use openvpn, because u dont need another server in internet to connect with. But both have the same problem.

u have to change the metric of you vpninterface.The Metric must be lower than the metric from your normal ethernetdevice. I use 10. u can do it in the menu of your laninterface where u can setup your TCP/ip v4 ip. there is a button "advanced" ("erweitert" in my version).

:( I didn't really understand... can you explain that again? And did it work for you when you tries it this way?

Basically, if you use OpenVPN, you will get a network connection with that name. In order to get Civ5 to use that instead another connection, you need to change the metric value of said connection. This way, Windows will use that first over other connections.

Therefore, you and your friend can play LAN over VPN without Steam.

Can anyone give slightly more explicit instructions here? Do I change the values on my hamachi connection or my internet connection?

Top Bottom