Pre-StNES I: Beneath the Jade Moon

Starlife

de la terre à la lune
(title pending)

Welcome to StNES I ... or, rather, the discussion and PRE thread.

A few notes, before we begin. One is, I changed my NES modding nomenclature from SLNES to StNES. This is for symbolic, perhaps sentimental, reasons. First of all, SLNES I-III were short-lived. I know this NES will not follow the fate of those three abortions, and I hope you will join me as I attempt to create and run a long-lasting (hopefully, neverending) story. The change in nomenclature is not only related to the longevity of previous projects. It is also related to my own development (or lack thereof, depending on who you talk to) as a NESer. I've learned a lot since joining the community, and I will always look back to the best nuggets of advice I've picked up since day one (and continue to accumulate).

Second note is, this is actually a pre-NES thread. So many "pre" threads ride an awkward position between "preview" and the prefix for "before in time". To me, a preview implies that the NES has been developed and is being shown to NESers behind a storefront window, or perhaps in a futuristic car showroom (of a model that functions), whereas a true "pre" thread indicates that more development is needed before the NES can be driven. This thread follows the latter pursuit moreso than the former.

Not much else to do now but to cover the concept.

* * * * * * *​

This NES will eventually become a story about many things: war, politics, and empire, to name a few of the most important concepts. All of this will be within a world where magic is all but dead, unknown to those who enjoy more practical pursuits, but still living as a flicker in far-away lands.

Originally, this NES was to be a game about controlling a family in a larger empire, and vying for control of the throne. As I developed that NES, and came up with more and more of a detailed backstory, I began to think: Why should I be coming up with dozens of family histories and lineages? Wouldn't it be interesting for players to create their own lineages and histories, and have their family house truly stand the test of time? Additionally, I'd like to reveal this world to players as they expand and as the socio-political situation becomes more complicated. That led me to this NES.

This NES will launch sometime during the last week of June. Please do not join if this bothers you in any way.

We will start with several turns lasting for one or two or three centuries, and gradually move through the iron age. As we approach what could be defined as the "Middle Ages", we will slow down time considerably. Time may be slowed down before that, of course, depending on what you get yourselves into.

With that said, there is little else to do but cover the premise.

The NES will emulate the period directly following the Alyusian Ruin, when an entire people (the Alyusians [A-lee-oo-see-ans]) were forced to abandon the roots of their homeland (Alyusii [A-lee-oo-see]) due to a series of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. The Alyusians found solace in Luseysi, a man guided by nine prophets, who has led the clans across a narrow land bridge (which, rather remarkably to the Alyusians, was consumed by the sea soon after their arrival). As a player, you will control one of dozens of clans (essentially, bronze age chiefdoms). Your world has been turned on its head, and you are now scrambling to lead your clan to prosperity on a new continent.

A few things are established from the start of the NES:

-> Every clan is of Alyusian blood. This is expected to change as the NES progresses, but this is where we start.

-> Most clans revere Luseysi and his subsequent heirs as a supreme god. The nine prophets who assisted Luseysi in the migrations are considered saints (Daryan, Erveta, Haimara, Innadi, Kolanty, Lioten, Padimon, Rodisana, and Serlensi).

-> The NES begins about 100 years after the migrations to Jyotsna, and thus about ten years after the death of Luseysi (he was old; about 150 years old). Your clan will have already established itself in a certain area of the world. There are likely several factors that contributed to your clan's decision to settle in that area (broadly seeking prosperity, perhaps seeking greater autonomy [finding an area with a physical barrier], a specific commodity being located there, rivers for irrigation, fertility, a saint being buried there, and so on).

-> There are, essentially, two "types" of clans in terms of lineage: those that were descended from a saint, and those that were not. While the saints were all outsiders before the migrations, their status as prophets and advisers to Luseysi elevated them to considerable positions of power. Many of them married and had children, and thus (in just the last century) have created powerful, "new" clans. The other clan types are ones that are perhaps old, having existed for a long time in the old world, and perhaps enjoying times of great power in the past. Now, however, they follow the Lunar Faith, as all Alyusians do. Many of these clans were shattered during the migrations, either intermarrying with new clans, or simply forming their own enclaves with more of the old. Only six clans descended from saints, because three of the saints (Daryan, Erveta, and Rodisana) never had children. Clans descended from saints enjoy great influence and power within the empire, while "old" clans tend to take more risks, perhaps settling areas at the edge of civilization or attracting loyalty from less savory elements of Alyusian society (this is not to say that all old clans are full of crooked folk; rather, old clans needed to attract followers during the migrations with an argument other than their relationship to saints). "Old" clans might tend to be more accepting of native populations (emphasis on "might").

-> Essentially, the Lunar Faith is widely popular because Luseysi basically saved the Alyusian civilization. Many "old" clans might follow Ekudhism, the polytheistic religion of the old world. There is, at this point, not any open conflict between the two religious systems. In fact, in many regions, they might be bleeding together (perhaps images of the old gods are used to portray new saints, or perhaps those who worship Luseysi still practice superstitious elements of the old faith). However, this can always change, depending on events that unfold in our story.

-> Luseysi died at the site of Pale City, so-named for the fact that it sits atop a massive jadeite deposit which has already been used to craft several artefacts in the name of the god-emperor. His specific burial is the Jade Shrine, which is essentially the seat of the empire. The current emperor is Luseysi's son, named Lerisahon (emperors are given a single name). The emperor's authority is religious moreso than political, though he does offer a considerable unifying presence. He issues decrees, can give you money, or can take your life. Don't mess with him -- it would be out of character, any way, as you should consider him the one true god. You also consider him your emperor, though he will often do nothing while you fight another clan. If the emperor supports your enemy, fear not: usually, if you prove yourself, the emperor will recognize your efforts and either back off entirely or give you the same degree of support your enemy has received.

-> If the emperor needs a wife to make babies, you all get to squabble in an attempt to provide him with a fitting mate. This won't secure your position as a god or anything like that, but it will make you rather powerful (until the next wife, that is).

-> Only one native civilization has been discovered: the Rayaki. They are mostly found in the mountainous wilderness; their weaker ancestors in the north were practically exterminated upon Alyusian landfall.

-> Technology is at a mid-iron age level. Of course, we won't stay there.

-> Your clan is essentially ruled by a single, powerful family, and controls several lesser families composing a chunk of population that chose to follow your clan during the migrations. You (or your lord) control actual territory and serve as that territory's administrator.

-> You are all from the same blood, but not necessarily the same culture. It is likely that different regions of settlement will evolve into different cultures altogether -- though still maintaining some basic similarities (because regardless of regional variety, all the land is ruled by a single emperor).

-> Technically, this NES is "low fantasy". Don't even think of it as fantasy -- for now. Fantastic things that happen during the NES will likely be considered superstitious, fictional stories by your people in the future.

-> Your clan may very well disintegrate, die out, migrate further, splinter into several clans, become married into a more powerful clan, and so on. Important structures will burn, dreams will shatter, and heirs will die. Accept it. If this happens, I will ask you to pick from the remnants, and that will simply become part of the overall story.

-> If you want something specific with this NES for when we reach the "Middle Ages" period, you need only tell me. It won't be sudden, since we have over 1,000 years of history to plow through. But as long as I know specifically what you want for each update, I can at least compile goals and figure out who gets what. Your clan will have to develop into what you want it to be, but we can at least be on the same page.

Moving on, let's cover the intro, and a description of the saints (and some other religious info).

* * * * * * *​

It has been over two thousand years since the great mountain in northern Uedos spewed fire, ash, and death, clawing the sky with smoky fingers and scattering the stench of bitter brimstone. Gazing to their firmament, the Alyusians had long seen the pale-green jade moon, and swore by its thousands of faces that it held the power of fertility. Yet as ashen rain swept the skies, and the green moon became masked by gray ghosts, that symbol began to fade and vanish, along with the lifestyles the Alyusians had relied on for what seemed like time eternal.

Before the migrations, the Alusians were bound to dozens of chieftains, many of whom were locked in constant squabbles and violent feuds. As the pale-green moon disappeared behind the gray, the chieftain known only as Luseysi stepped forward. He proclaimed guidance from mysterious "nine prophets", outcasts and twisted folk who had given their souls to the strangeness of the world. Believing it to be the Alyusian destiny to follow the light of the jade moon to an ever-fertile land, Luseysi led the clans out of Uedos, through a cold and harsh landscape, and across a narrow isthmus. There, they discovered the land of Jyotnos, or "eternal garden", a fertile, flowing land with green, jagged mountains, not dissimilar from the moonscape as seen through a peering tube.

As the Alyusians journeyed south through Jyotnos, they encountered clearer and clearer skies, and thus a firmament containing a crisp, green moon, and a landscape teeming with game and fertile land.....

It is important to note the night sky. The moon is perhaps the most important feature of the world for a variety of reasons. The view of the moon became masked by ash during the Alyusian Ruin, and thus prompted the great migration, as the Alyusians sought a healthier firmament to guide their civilization. The blackened skies and charred landscape were not conducive to growing crops, and the game they had hunted began to trickle outward, towards the land bridge they would later cross. The world's moon is "green", but do not imagine an orb covered in grass or something so neon and bright. Patches of the moon do show as green as grass sometimes, but much of it becomes pale through the filter of the world's atmosphere, and the moon's own atmosphere and weather systems (which are typically extremely cloudy). As such, the moon is usually a white-jade color with a tint of green. And while the Alyusians referred to it as green in their histories, they more commonly used the term "pale" or "jade". Jade became the dominant term, especially as substantial quantities of jadeite have been found throughout Jyotnos. The moon has become an important religious symbol, and the man who "followed the jade moon" and led the Alyusians to Jyotnos (across a now-flooded land bridge) became a god to the Alyusians, and the first emperor.

The moon can mean many things to different peoples, but it is most often associated with fertility.

Religion plays a major role in Alyusian society. Luseysi came to be called many things: The Pale God, the Savior of Jade, the Moon Emperor, and many others (titles that continue to be passed down to his successors). His legacy has thus lived on in the guise of an elaborate religion, seemingly entirely dedicated to the Alyusians and their struggles, moreso than vague concepts of spirituality.

Additionally, there is the old faith, which many clans still adhere to (though very rarely do they adhere to the old faith exclusively; usually they also believe in the Lunar Faith, alongside those old beliefs). That socio-cultural fact, however, might change during our NES.

Luseysanor

The Lunar Faith, or Luseysanor, as it is called, is developing quickly throughout Jyotnos. There are already regional variants, which you as players should describe. There are some consistencies, though. Worship is done predominately through temples, structures that vary in size and construction. However, there are also ten principle shrines that attract flocks of visitors: nine on the burial places of the saints, and one on the burial place of Luseysi (the Jade Shrine). Current religious structures are crude, with the exception of those burial shrines. Monks exist as devout followers of the Lunar Faith, and are basically lay people who have devoted their lives to the maintenance of religious sites. Their codes are still in development, and they have only recently begun to emerge as a respected member of society. Meanwhile, priests take care of burial shrines; the priest is always a direct descendent of the saint of that burial shrine (yet that priest must renounce his family name and become celibate). The emperor himself acts as the head priest of the Jade Shrine, though if he has brothers, they often serve as priests, as well.

At this point, worship in a temple is typically done with incense in a crude censer. Incense is also used at shrines, though it is also customary to bow to every icon of the saint at the shrine. While temples are largely communal efforts, often serving as granaries or civic centers as well as religious structures, shrines are entirely controlled by their respective priest and devoted to religious purposes.

Early temple designs have begun to mimic each other. Temples will likely feature an entry hallway representing the full moon, and will always have an altar with an icon of the Lunar God's emblem (physical representations of Luseysi are non-existent; only the emperor's emblem is shown for worship, for it represents all emperors, who are considered deities in their own right (though they all represent the manifestation of the same god). The entry hallway leads to a central courtyard, which branches off into seven other rooms, each one representing a different phase of the moon. The average visitor to a temple will only go to the room of the current phase, though devout followers might visit each room (such as, if a woman is pregnant, she may visit the phase in which her child is predicted to be born under). Some of the nine saints may be featured within the temple in various nooks and crannies. Some fringe temples might include icons of the old faith gods, though not portrayed as gods, but rather featured as superstitious icons portraying a certain aspect of life (i.e., a god of the plow might be found in a rural temple, even if that population's faith is predominately Luseysanor).

The specific developments of religious structures are, again, up to you all.

Saints

The original nine prophets are considered saints in the Lunar faith. A plethora of icons, tapestries, and other such images exist of the Nine, and they have various meanings and representations, depending on the region, house, and local significance. They are:

Daryan: The Sculptor, sometimes called the Artisan or the River. At a young age, he was castrated by a giant river serpent, which was also said to have given him knowledge of the world's greatest flows and their spectacular origins. Never desiring physical pleasure, he spent his days crafting a variety of sculptures, the beauty and realism of which are said to have driven men to madness. His original busts of Luseysi caused all who saw them to weep.

Erveta: The Druid, sometimes called the Exiled. A hermaphrodite born with an ugly, deformed face and pushed into the woods by her family at an early age; eventually resurfaced with the ability to speak to animals and the wind.

Haimara: The Witch, sometimes called the Weaver. A woman who long used the power of foresight for "evil witchcraft", eventually returned to society and repented, offering Luseysi her abilities.

Innadi: The Hermit. A man who fled to the rocky northern mountains, where he remained for most of his life. When villages gossiped hatred of this man, Luseysi journeyed into the mountains to find him. When Luseysi found him, it is said that the Hermit gave him profound knowledge regarding the nature of humanity. He then left solitude and accompanied Luseysi in his journeys.

Kolanty: The Herbalist, sometimes called the Farmer or the Gardener. In society, he was known for his uncanny talent at growing crops in even the worst conditions. Jealous of his achievements, his neighbors burned his fields and killed his family. After this event, he began to wander, gathering and studying weeds and flowers. When Luseysi fell ill during the migration, Kolanty saved him with his knowledge. Also known for his generosity.

Lioten: The Poet, sometimes called the Bard. Artists were long looked down upon Alyusian chiefdoms, and treated as scum. Yet Lioten was said to have moved even the most brutal, conservative naysayer with his written words, and caused the elements to stir with his stanzas. And indeed, many of his poems about Luseysi are still read aloud today.

Padimon: The Linguist. It was said that he knew over a thousand languages, including the languages of fire and birds. He was long treated as a heretic, until he came to Luseysi's aid, when Luseysi could not communicate with some of the fringe chiefdoms.

Rodisana: The Courtesan, but also called the Singer. She was said to have unparalleled beauty and the ability to bed the greatest chiefs and even the ancient gods themselves. It was also said that her beauty pacified storms. She was kidnapped, tortured, and disfigured by a jealous chief, and eventually saved by Luseysi. When Luseysi did not take her as a prize, she joined him out of respect. No longer able to sway minds with her beauty, she began to use her hypnotic, enchanting voice for song.

Serlensi: The Swordsman, sometimes called the Blacksmith. He mined and worked with metals, he himself performing the entire blade-making process. He was said to be as strong and efficient as a thousand miners and able to duel the wind with his swordplay. His strength made him feared by the general populace, until he saved Luseysi from a horde of giants.

Ekudhism

[More to come on this. Essentially, the polytheistic religion of the old world.]

-----

The saints should be of particular interest to players in this game. I have created rather vague portraits of their lives, and have left their "meanings" open-ended, so as to encourage regional varieties of the Lunar Faith (Luseysanor), and thus varying interpretations of each saint's significance. Religion in general is of great importance in this NES, and should not be taken lightly.

* * * * * * *​

That's all the information I'm giving at this point. I will soon upload a map, and ask you to post your proposal. This will basically ask you to choose a spot on the map where you would like to be, and demand you give me some information (names, livelihood, and other such items of importance).

But first, I'd like all interested parties to say so here, and please note their interest in whether or not they wish to be a "new" clan or an "old" clan. This is not first come, first serve. Ideally, it would be nice if you gave three preferences (i.e.: Innadi's descendants, Serlensi's descendants, old clan). New clans will not necessarily remain influential, and old clans can become extremely influential. Additionally, even though your clan now may be descended from, say, Serlensi, that does not mean your clan will not shatter into pieces through infighting and become separate clans (again, to play this NES you must accept a likely breakup of your original clan). A symbol of influence might also be having control over the burial shrine of a saint, though that might end up being rather presumptuous (and could even backfire, depending on how that shrine is "won").

Again: three preferences, post your interest, and feel free to give any helpful suggestions or comments. Again again: this NES will speed through the first few updates this summer.

Here is the starting map, with the 100 Years Migration labeled, as well as the Pale City (burial site of Luseysi; so essentially, a considerable population flocked to the place of his death), and two native populations. And no, the map is not the same map that I posted before. Of course, 100 years is a long time for a migration; it was not only walking, though, but also settling the shown regions and making gains against native populations. Additionally, they started migrating well off the map.

Spoiler :

Well, subscribed for interest. :) Haven't finished starting post yet, but it's an interesting setup. Seems to me like a juicy crossover of Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis' pan-national organizations such as the Holy See clashing together in the ancient era; if I were to describe it. Very tasty. Can clans claim whatever? For example, can I make a clan that claims it is descended from one of the deceased prophets because "nono he DID have a SECRET child and he was therefore our greatgrandfather"? :p

Well, subscribed for interest. :) Haven't finished starting post yet, but it's an interesting setup. Seems to me like a juicy crossover of Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis' pan-national organizations such as the Holy See clashing together in the ancient era; if I were to describe it. Very tasty. Can clans claim whatever? For example, can I make a clan that claims it is descended from one of the deceased prophets because "nono he DID have a SECRET child and he was therefore our greatgrandfather"? :p

Thanks, lj. It'd be great to have you aboard.

Yes, such a false (?) claim is something I had in mind. That would be acceptable. Claiming is one thing, proving it is another. You'd have to go through certain channels to have your claim legitimized, and have your claim ultimately accepted by the emperor, if it is to have any lasting legitimacy. But you're certainly on the right track; those are the sorts of intriguing concepts I was juggling with when I came up with this idea.

When I said that six clans are descended from six of the prophets, I essentially mean that six clans have had their claims of lineage from those prophets put into canon by the emperor. They have some proof of their lineage, especially seeing as many of the prophets would have been recently deceased (as in, the last few decades before the start of the NES). But it is left rather ambiguous; perhaps one of those prophets did not have children, or had a bastard child with another wife, and so on.

Think of the emperor as a mediator of sorts, and as the ultimate socio-religious authority. Yet, think of him also as easily swayed; he is not a push-over, but he also gives support and authority to those who earn it and prove they can handle it.

Interested.

Interested.

EDIT: I don't really like the idea of having some sort of innate advantage of anykind, so its Old clans*3 for me-going to gain my own influence.

EDITEDIT: I'm thinking maybe the Clan I'm in set down some roots at the delta a bit north of Bandiyet, near those Rayakis. Maybe they like fighting them. Maybe they got fond the delta. Maybe they just don't want to be lorded around by the New clans so much, IDK I need to figure that out.

I am interested.

Lord Joakim's thinking gave me another "twist" idea. If possible, my first preference would be to play an old clan that reveres a Tenth "Lost Saint/Prophet" who, in theory, died in the old world somehow (ostensibly saving Luseysi) . Thus they think of themselves as a "new" clam, but could be deemed heretical over time.

Location choice: the mountains the east of the Koanyet Rayaki, near the river.

My interest is Kolanty or an old clan.

If Kolanty I want that explored northern river delta.

Of old clan I want either the area right between Koanyet and Bandiyet Rayaki or something coastal , assuming there is what to do in the sea.

I want to say up front that I don't trust you Starlife.

Because I have to say that before I admit that I am very interested in this game.

I'm having flashbacks from traumatizing battles on Mars cut short.

Old tribe, Lioten's Descendants, Kolanty's Descendants.

I was not under the impression that we would be playing several turns of not feudalism prior to getting to the meat of the NES.

I was not under the impression that we would be playing several turns of not feudalism prior to getting to the meat of the NES.

I know you want a specific game to play during your summer vacation. But summers end -- I don't want this NES to. And while I could come up with detailed lineages for every player's family, as well as historical events contributing to mentalities and dispositions, I feel it would be contrived in comparison to making our way through 1,000 years of time with fast-paced updates. I want detailed family trees, reasons for lords are acting the way they are acting, baskets of casus belli, developed regional cultures, and so on. I could do it all by myself -- I did not change things around out of laziness. But far better to get a few exceptional players together to interact from the beginning of settlement on Jyotnos, than to put those players in the shoes of lords they have little knowledge of themselves, dealing with unconvincing rivalries.

Hope you'll stay on.

I just hope it can actually survive those several updates to get to the good part. Besides, this way I can't even have a lord in the area I wanted without waiting until August or September.

I just hope it can actually survive those several updates to get to the good part. Besides, this way I can't even have a lord in the area I wanted without waiting until August or September.

I vow to you, Luckiest of all Mooses, that I will update once a week, and that we will approach the juicy meat of the NES before August. I'm into this premise, despite finishing up a master's degree at the moment. I really want to do well.

And actually, you can be a lord in the area you wanted -- well, not exactly that area, since the map is a bit different, but an area similar to it. You can move your family from place to place. It does not have to remain in the same territory, and in fact it is only natural for it to move as the socio-political scene develops (though of course, it doesn't have to move). I'll cover orders in more detail later, but you can certainly fulfill your dream of being the land's biggest jerk, occupying a dark, defensible fortress by the sea. You'll just build up to it, and fully develop your family in the process.

Top Bottom