Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Berserker

• Impi

• None of the above (please specify)

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
I dont see much of advantage with Panzers over regular tanks. Nice to have to garrison cities when I have modern armor. I kinda look at Panzers as my "Reserve" armor, like Army National Guard.

I voted for Ballista Elephant but Babylonian bowmen were a close second.

If you also assume ancient start, I'd be really hard pressed to decide between the Navy SEAL and the Panzer. They're both so late that their very minor buff to the base units is meaningless, making them useless units.

I think I'll pick the SEAL, though.

Landsknecht.
One tech away from musketmen which will have the promotions from Charlemagne's PRO trait.

omg I can't believe people are voting Navy SEAL for most useless unit.. that thing rocks if you actually get to that point in the game. It's definitely not useless.

I had to vote for the Aztec Jaguar, because I really hate using them. In almost all cases, when I'm Montezuma I actually wish I just had generic Swordsman. The difference between 6 strength and 5 strength is a big deal when attacking archers which is the main scenario. The Woodsman bonus to me is pretty laughable, okay you can do some guerrilla war stealing workers stuff, but what about attacking cities? Not good.

Basically the Aztec Jaguar is like 99% worse than building an Axeman when I play Aztec, since at least the Axeman won't get rolled by enemy Axeman. I want to be aggressive Aztec and use these cool looking Jaguars to dominate my lands like the real Aztecs, but nooooo I have to use this inferior Swordsman with 5 strength who can't kill archers on hills. Lame :( :( :(

You could have listed one more since you listed berserker twice ;)

:lol: Someone voted for the Conquistador, which is easily a Top 5 UU (too bad the poll was not made public)

Jags are far from the worse UU IMO. Not great mind you, but they have their uses and can be fun/effective if used properly. It's a very good UU for choking and tactical maneuvers which is really what a lot of players fail to see. Plus, you can make excellent super medics out of them. The only real bad thing about Jags is the suckitude of Monty's starting techs

that thing rocks if you actually get to that point in the game.

you basically already gave the major counter-argument to your assertion right there. While I agree that on paper Seals are not bad units at all, it's simply that in this game sooner the better. Civ is won in the early game.

You could have listed one more since you listed berserker twice ;)

yep, just saw that. I'd be interested in knowing what we left off the list since I see a few here that should not be on it. Already can assume Q, WC, FW,NoobiePraet or not on this list. Conks should not be on it either

How should this question be interpreted? A unit like the Ballista Elephant isn't a great upgrade over a regular elephant. However, the Ballista Elephant is still one of the best units in the game.

Sorry but, I just can't see past the 5 strength of Aztec Jaguars. Why did they have to be made weaker than Swordsman at attacking cities? What sense does it make :( The Aztecs certainly conquered over their fair share of other tribes and cities. I mean the flavor of the Jaguars rules, they look awesome and they're good at jungle combat which makes sense. But I've tried Jaguar rushing and it ends up becoming "Axeman with a few token Jaguar rushing". Because Axeman counter attack and pwn them, or they die attacking cities.

I mean, if I wanted a unit that can choke/harass but isn't going to capture I could just woodsman promote some axemen or use chariots or something :p

On the other hand, the Navy SEAL is a strict upgrade over Marines. Sure, most people probably never used either. But I can play to the late game, and get to use them and be happy that they actually are stronger. Not great but its a strict upgrade. Whereas Aztecs, make me feel like I'm being purposely crippled :( kind of like Dog Soldiers for Native America. Also had a bad experience with them when try to fight simple things like archers, the Dog Soldier was weaker. Mostly, guess I don't like the mechanic of taking away strength to balance a unique unit.

Mmmmm... tough call. I'd go with Navy Seal or Panzer, since they're far too late-game to be useful...

But I went for Oromo warrior.
Since the only thing special about it is a couple first strikes (seriously? maybe I just don't understand the power of first strikes, but it seems incredibly useless and uncreative to me) It also replaces the musketman, which I usually just skip altogether by upgrading maceman > rifleman or longbow > rifleman. Basically it's a UU I'd never use and if I did, I wouldn't notice the difference.

There are a couple other "first strike UUs" besides Oromos - samurai and holkan IIRC - but at least they replace units I actually use.

Mmmmm... tough call. I'd go with Navy Seal or Panzer, since they're far too late-game to be useful...

But I went for Oromo warrior.
Since the only thing special about it is a couple first strikes (seriously? maybe I just don't understand the power of first strikes, but it seems incredibly useless and uncreative to me) It also replaces the musketman, which I usually just skip altogether by upgrading maceman > rifleman or longbow > rifleman. Basically it's a UU I'd never use and if I did, I wouldn't notice the difference.

There are a couple other "first strike UUs" besides Oromos - samurai and holkan IIRC - but at least they replace units I actually use.

I'm of the opinion that Ethiopia's "real" UU is the Drill-2 Rifles that Oromos turn into. Yeah, Oromos kinda suck, but they're one of a very few UUs that start with promotions that are useful down the line. :goodjob:

How should this question be interpreted? A unit like the Ballista Elephant isn't a great upgrade over a regular elephant. However, the Ballista Elephant is still one of the best units in the game.

Second this quandary. With Ballista Elephants in the lead right now I'd like to know why this is the case. Cataphants are kind of a strategy unto themselves. What could possibly be wrong with a UU that strengthens something that's already strong?

anything that comes after cuirassiers is basically useless because it has 0 influence over the outcome of the game.

^
Maybe in your games.
In my space games (Hemispheres : 2-6 continents), the most decisive unit is the infantry.

From my experience, playing as the Khmer, ivory will be available ~60% of the time on your continent.
Horse based early UUs have the same problem, either the resource isn't available on your continent or it's too faraway to have an impact on the early game.

Winner of the "Best UU on this poll" category is clearly the Conquistador, which is a beast of a thing.

I suppose it has to be the Ballistaphant, although the Phalanx is equally redundant.

Granted, the Panzer and SEAL are bad, but at least they sorta do something (Panzers can take on Modern Armour...not that the AI would ever have a modern armour, mind you). Marine/SEAL warfare can be significant if you start isolated.

I share the frustration with the Jaguar, I must say. Yes it has its niche uses, but the best thing about swordsmen is taking cities (AGG swords especially rock), and Jaguars are inferior at that. Leaves Monty scratching his feathered head wondering what to do about those tasty looking barb cities.

Top Bottom