Need thorough explanations for SMAC multiplayer

Glububble

Chieftain
Hello,

I would like to play SMAC against a relative. We are in the same house and share the same wifi. I tried GameRanger but once I host the game the other player only gets a loading screen telling them to wait for host and nothing happens. I tried Hamachi but the connection drops easily and so the game is unplayable. I tried simply selecting TCP/IP from the menu but entering the IP doesn't work: it tells me no game was found.

Looking for any tips whatsoever, my patience is starting to fray. :) I've read a number of threads about people playing multiplayer just fine, so obviously I am doing something wrong. Unfortunately I can't diagnose the problem.

Regards

Hi Glubble,

First thing is to make sure that both of you are running exactly the same version of the game. If that doesn't help, you can find some instructions for troubleshooting Hamachi in this thread. Hope that helps. If not, please post again. Good luck!

If you are on the same wifi in the same house, there is no need for a virtual LAN like hamachi. You can try to create a local network. That usually works when I play with my friends.

Petek said:
Hi Glubble,

First thing is to make sure that both of you are running exactly the same version of the game. If that doesn't help, you can find some instructions for troubleshooting Hamachi in this thread. Hope that helps. If not, please post again. Good luck!

Hello Petek. I've gone on several Alpha Centauri sites and I've noticed that you are a regular on all of them, providing valuable advice to newcomers. So thanks for that.
I will try a reinstall. I'm starting to think I may have installed the wrong patches. I'll get back to you when it's done.

Herfelt said:
If you are on the same wifi in the same house, there is no need for a virtual LAN like hamachi. You can try to create a local network. That usually works when I play with my friends.

Hi, could you provide more details? Thanks. I was thinking that I could try connecting the two computer with an ethernet cable instead of WiFi, since it might provide for a more stable connection. I'm on Windows XP running on Parallels if that helps.

Update: It works perfectly! I simply bought the GOG version for mac instead of using the windows one through Parallels. Thanks for your help guys. If I have any other problems, I will let you know.
Regards

Top Bottom