[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Just out of curiosity, what was causing the Ashen Veil CTD ? Broken graphics like was suggested before, or some more programming-related thing ?

SchpailsMan said:
Just out of curiosity, what was causing the Ashen Veil CTD ? Broken graphics like was suggested before, or some more programming-related thing ?

After 12 hours spent troubleshooting it (the only current save of the issue was a game that took 5-10 minutes to load) it came down to an incrediably simple problem.

The Beast of Agares was causing the crash. Way back I copied the Bear unit to make the Beast of Agares, but the Bear didn't have anything in the advisor field. The advisor field is used when that unit is picked by the AI as the one you should build. If you put the Military Advisor in that attrbiute when the computer picks that unit as the one you should make it puts (recommended by the Military Advisor) after it. Not a big deal that the bear didn't have one since you can never build a Bear.

But for the Beast of Agares whenever the AI would pick it as the unit you should make in the build list it would list it at the top then go back to read what advisor it should put afterwards, it wouldn't find one and it would CTD.

The really confusing part for me was I found out back in FfH1 that you can work around the crash by deleting the Temple of the Veil (because the temple is required to build the Beast). So I always thought there was something about the temple. It was also interrmittant because the program that picks the recommended units is largely random. And of course I always knew that switching to any religion besides the veil would stop the crashes (again because the Beast required the Ashen Veil state religion).

So in hindsight it all makes sense. But isolating the crash down to being able to build the Beast of Agares, at 5-10 minutes to test each change I made took a huge amount of time. Im just glad its done and finally fixed.

I hope you didn't read too much into my earlier enquiry about loading times. It might have come across slightly as moaning. If it did, I take it all back. OMG, WOW! If it takes that long (subject to PC ability, I suspect), it is more than worth the amazing sound, music scores, artwork and general depth I've only so far noticed in 150 turns. Completely absorbing.

Fall from Heaven? More like Gone to Heaven :D

Apologies for spamming your thread with more praise, I just had to.

hey keal, just wondering what the reason is for removing burning blood from the moroi is? it seemed to be there main feature plus the background reason was solid... removing it makes them standard t2 unit and i like the idea of the different civs having t2 units that are different... just my 2 pennies

Okay, wiseguy(s)....who named the Nilhorn giants Curly, Larry, and Mo??...died laughing despite being swarmed by bloody orcs :)

DREWid said:
hey keal, just wondering what the reason is for removing burning blood from the moroi is? it seemed to be there main feature plus the background reason was solid... removing it makes them standard t2 unit and i like the idea of the different civs having t2 units that are different... just my 2 pennies
The ability was keyed to having "divine" promotion and body 2 promotion. No big deal as before they had no other spell spheres. But now they can upgrade to vampires and vampire lords. Giving them access to a large number of divine spells they shouldn't be able to cast without having religion, like graft flesh.

Alas, and here I liked my Burning Blood Moroi. *sniffs* Made them a little unique and all.

Personally I wouldn't mind not having them upgrade-able to vampires, since they can get the vampirism trait earlier anyway. Somehow I can decidedly see the vampires of the Order of Blood being that 'discriminating' to the Moroi, figuring them unworthy of full inclusion in their brotherhood. But.. that might just be me. ;)

Anyhew, anyhow.

awww. I really liked my Divine-Sorcery-Summoning Vampire Lords with 400xp

What would you guys say to making the Trojan Horse invisible to enemy units, like a shadow. I'm not a Trojan Horse buff or anything, but I thought that the city that took the horse in was at war with the people inside the horse. We can't do that in this game. I think it would be fun to load up a few guys and take them into enemy land to spring out and cause some havoc. If they had hunters or something they could see it coming, but otherwise 3-4 dudes just pop-up out of thin air. I only play this mod multiplayer, and haven't tried using the horse on a computer civ. Does the horse work that way with them? Humans are a little harder to trick. Just a suggestion from a BIG fan. You guys have done a great job with this mod.

Just wanted to say that this is an awesome mod. The AI doesn't seem to be that aggressive...maybe that's intentional, dunno, didn't want to read 112 pages (just skimmed), but it's pretty incredible just the same.

HHawk72 said:
Just wanted to say that this is an awesome mod. The AI doesn't seem to be that aggressive...maybe that's intentional, dunno, didn't want to read 112 pages (just skimmed), but it's pretty incredible just the same.

A wise man once said "If it is agression that you seek, Aggresive AI you should enable."

Oh, and while some may like this, would it be possible to add at least the option of preventing workers from touching mana nodes while automated? After your empire gets so big, you have to automate some workers. Invariably, I forget about mana nodes popping into my cultural boundaries, and the workers forver choose the worst possible mana type, typically the one I have the most of. I want to scream when I have to decide if I need to reload a few turns to prevent the workers from completing the node, and having to duplicate a ton of management decisions. Personally, this should be a caster-only build option, as the common laboroer wouldn't really have a clure hwo to "mine" a mana node...

It's available for workers because the AI can't handle it remotely well any other way. Once they've figured out a way to get the AI to use adepts for it, they'll remove the function from workers.

I fiinally got to see the ancient forest...it just didn't seem very...ancienty to me. Surely there would be thick thick flora to show how it's been untouched and old? It doesn't seem problematic to traverse through it since there seems to be lots of ground space. :D

This might have been mentioned in a patch update, but are the Khazad not allowed to build lumbermills? I was playing a game as the Khazad and had the techs for the lumbermill but when I sent my workers into the forests they did not have the build mill icon. The pedia did not say that mills are not buildable by the Khazad. I would not think that the dwarves would have a problem with cutting down some trees, they need the support beams for their mines.

Top Bottom