[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

I am playing my first game of FFH2 and like most of it however the magic system is causing me frustration. I don't fully understand how it works. Can all civilizations acquire any spell? Where do I go to find out all the mana types and number of each I have? I have adepts that are on Level 6 that can't be upgraded, why? I am playing the Khazad and expect this has something to do with it but can't find where it says so. As an example I recently built a fire mana node but none of my units can learn it; can only certain units learn Fire I, II & III?. I would like some help. :confused: Overall I like the game. I played numerous games of FFH1 before I decided to play FFH2.

Ankhman said:
I am playing my first game of FFH2 and like most of it however the magic system is causing me frustration. I don't fully understand how it works. Can all civilizations acquire any spell? Where do I go to find out all the mana types and number of each I have? I have adepts that are on Level 6 that can't be upgraded, why? I am playing the Khazad and expect this has something to do with it but can't find where it says so. As an example I recently built a fire mana node but none of my units can learn it; can only certain units learn Fire I, II & III?. I would like some help. :confused: Overall I like the game. I played numerous games of FFH1 before I decided to play FFH2.

It's a pity you have problems with the magic system, because it is a fundamental part of what makes FFH so brilliant and entertaining.

Let's see if I can help clarify some for you. First of all, the different kinds of mana and spell levels and such can all be found in the Civilopedia without any particular problems, so you can go read up on that easily.

All Civilizations can have access to all types of spells, but your religion will limit which divine spells you get access to through your priests. Arcane spellcasters are only limited by the mana you have. For each mana resource you control your adepts will be able to learn that particular sphere of spells. You have 1 Fire Mana? Great. Your adepts will be able to learn Fire I, Scorch. ONLY Adepts will be able to learn magic based on your mana, no other ones will. Some other units may have spell or spell-like abilities, but they can't learn magic based on your mana, and even IF they can it's usually limited purely by what they are (vampires having Death and Body for example). Adepts have Channeling I and can thus only learn and use the first spell levels.

When an Adept reaches level 4 (I think still is the level, yes?) he can be upgraded to a Mage or Conjurer if you have the prerequisite tech for it. Mages have Channeling II and can thus learn second level magic.

I hope that helps some. If not, feel free to elaborate and I'll try to explain if I can.

Glad you enjoy the mod, a lot of us do and it's a well-deserved appreciation for a great mod!

Cheers!

Thanks that helps but I need to ask about adepts again. I have some level 6 adepts but can't seem to upgrade them. Do they have to be within the city limits of a town that has a specific building?

the Kazad do not have access to higher level spellcasters then adepts

Ankhman said:
Thanks that helps but I need to ask about adepts again. I have some level 6 adepts but can't seem to upgrade them. Do they have to be within the city limits of a town that has a specific building?

The answer is you are playing Khazar... dwarven adepts cannot be upgraded past adept level to even out the advantages that they have in other areas...

I found this out studying the civilopedia and crying out for help the same way you did ;)

Anyway... A LOT of good info can be found in the forum (Kael has a shortcut in his signature that you can follow)...

Really nice mod man, really liked the effort you did on it, reALly cool pictures, storys and all stuff!

But I got a little confused with os many options and so many things to build lol, that was a lot to build in my cities and i didnt know what to do sometimes lol..
And other thing is, I did play a quick game(well at least I thought so, but I saw in victory condictions it was about 700 turns? lol) and when there was something like 200 turns left, all it was left to research was "future tecnology I, II, III" and so on..Is that a bug or it was intending to be like that or something would come after that(I stopped to play in future tec II or III..)??

Well, beside that little strange thing, the mod was rlly great, almost got owned when barbarian king appeared beside my CIV, costed me like 8 units and a lot of improviments pillaged to kill him..

Ahh, and other, how do I construct all those improviments that it5 says its possible with adepts and so?? Cant find any option for that in my screen, not even when im on the reagents..

Arlborn said:
Really nice mod man, really liked the effort you did on it, reALly cool pictures, storys and all stuff!

But I got a little confused with os many options and so many things to build lol, that was a lot to build in my cities and i didnt know what to do sometimes lol..
And other thing is, I did play a quick game(well at least I thought so, but I saw in victory condictions it was about 700 turns? lol) and when there was something like 200 turns left, all it was left to research was "future tecnology I, II, III" and so on..Is that a bug or it was intending to be like that or something would come after that(I stopped to play in future tec II or III..)??

Well, beside that little strange thing, the mod was rlly great, almost got owned when barbarian king appeared beside my CIV, costed me like 8 units and a lot of improviments pillaged to kill him..

Ahh, and other, how do I construct all those improviments that it5 says its possible with adepts and so?? Cant find any option for that in my screen, not even when im on the reagents..

The mana improvements have to be built on mana nodes. You will see these blue glowing crystals on the map. You can build any of 14 improvements on them. The mana the node provides depends on the improvement you put on it. So if you build a death mana improvement on a mana node it becomes a death mana node and provides death mana.

I'm playing the Calabim and I am a bit confused right now, who is "Gift Vampirism" allowed to target? (Right now it just seems random to me)

Kael said:
The mana improvements have to be built on mana nodes. You will see these blue glowing crystals on the map. You can build any of 14 improvements on them. The mana the node provides depends on the improvement you put on it. So if you build a death mana improvement on a mana node it becomes a death mana node and provides death mana.

But that is what I mean, sorry i said reagent hehe, I meant mana node.. I putted my adepts or whatever was the same as, and I didnt get any option of build any improviment :S maybe I should reinstall the mod then?

And what about the techs that i said? It really supposed to be this way? Seemed really unbalanced for me..

STDIO said:
I'm playing the Calabim and I am a bit confused right now, who is "Gift Vampirism" allowed to target? (Right now it just seems random to me)

The target has to be alive (you cant gift a fireball or catapult) and at least 6th level. The Moroi are a bit special and they can recieve the gift at 4th level.

Arlborn said:
But that is what I mean, sorry i said reagent hehe, I meant mana node.. I putted my adepts or whatever was the same as, and I didnt get any option of build any improviment :S maybe I should reinstall the mod then?

And what about the techs that i said? It really supposed to be this way? Seemed really unbalanced for me..

Hmm.. I dont know. You are the first person to mention that to me. What gamespeed and difficulty were you playing on?

Kael said:
The target has to be at least 6th level. The Moroi are a bit special and they can recieve the gift at 4th level.
A ha, so that's what confused me. Is that written down somewhere? :blush:

STDIO said:
A ha, so that's what confused me. Is that written down somewhere? :blush:

Hmm.. nope. I'll add it into the pedia entry for the spell.

Hehe, so its not my fault for being confued :p

Arlborn, are you sure you tried building it on raw mana and not a mana node?

Not really program bug but it is issue: Priests of Kilmorph (Stonewardens) are supposed to be able to cast life spells, as they have life 1 promotion. But they cant learn any life magic because life 2 requires "(order) or (leaves)" as one of requirements. Please check it out.

Also Flanking 3 doesn't follow standard promotion pattern (Like drill, city raider or city garrison) that each next promotion is stronger than previous. Flanking 1 and 2 give +20% withdrawal, while flanking 3 gives only 10%, shouldn't it be boosted to 20,25%? But then it gives 'immune to fist strikes', but it is of no use against most units

TheJopa said:
Not really program bug but it is issue: Priests of Kilmorph (Stonewardens) are supposed to be able to cast life spells, as they have life 1 promotion. But they cant learn any life magic because life 2 requires "(order) or (leaves)" as one of requirements. Please check it out.

Good point I will have to figure out something to do there.

Also Flanking 3 doesn't follow standard promotion pattern (Like drill, city raider or city garrison) that each next promotion is stronger than previous. Flanking 1 and 2 give +20% withdrawal, while flanking 3 gives only 10%, shouldn't it be boosted to 20,25%? But then it gives 'immune to fist strikes', but it is of no use against most units

The withdrawal mechanic doesn't work like a str bonus. The close it gets to 100% the better, so that last 10% is as good (if not better) then the prior 20%.

Kael said:
Hmm.. I dont know. You are the first person to mention that to me. What gamespeed and difficulty were you playing on?

Quick(at least I thought, but about 700 turns = quick in your mod? lol), Noble, small map(4 CIvs) and I was with that leader that is good, is a woman and her last name is "white II"..
I always do that setup of game if I use a new mod or a drastic update..But I didnt finish that game cuz still 200 turns left I had only some "stupid tech"(sorry, just cuz I had no options and thy didnt give any new unit or building) to research as I already told you..

There is no route to victory in FfH that doesn't involve conquest of some sort. You can't win just through researching, and you can't win by building something that doesn't require you already to dominate a good portion of the map.

The future techs, however, provide +1 happy and +1 health in every city for each one you get, so they're incredibly nice, if you have lots of surplus food in your cities.

Grillick said:
There is no route to victory in FfH that doesn't involve conquest of some sort. You can't win just through researching, and you can't win by building something that doesn't require you already to dominate a good portion of the map.

The future techs, however, provide +1 happy and +1 health in every city for each one you get, so they're incredibly nice, if you have lots of surplus food in your cities.

Ye, but future techs 220~ TURNS before tghe end of the game in a game with 700~( i guess) turns? sounds unbalanced to me lol

Top Bottom