Ideas for Total War games after Empire.

That is because everyone already got their favorites...

What about a modern era game? That might be even harder to incorporate than a WW2 game, but if done correctly it could be amazing.

The time that each turn represents would have to be GREATLY reduced to months, weeks or even days, because if you were to make it a year per turn then realistically every combat unit would've been able to circumnavigate the Earth several times within that time.

Supply considerations would have to be included.

Air units would have to be included, perhaps helicopters and ground attack jets onscreen, and others as off screen support powers.

Naval battles would have to be completely reinvented.

Combat engine would have to be completely reinvented.

And much more.

What about a modern era game? That might be even harder to incorporate than a WW2 game, but if done correctly it could be amazing.

The time that each turn represents would have to be GREATLY reduced to months, weeks or even days, because if you were to make it a year per turn then realistically every combat unit would've been able to circumnavigate the Earth several times within that time.

Supply considerations would have to be included.

Air units would have to be included, perhaps helicopters and ground attack jets onscreen, and others as off screen support powers.

Naval battles would have to be completely reinvented.

Combat engine would have to be completely reinvented.

And much more.
If I change the handle of the spade, and the head of the spade, and the shaft of the spade, do I have the same spade with which I started? I think not.

If Rome starts in the late Republic, how about shifting it earlier, to Marius and Sulla and the Punic Wars, and the Mithridatic Wars towards the end.

Or on the Greek theme, Alexander has been done but how about the Greek city states - there were several factions, you could get the Peloponnesian War and the Trojan War thrown in too.

Zombie Total War?

If Rome starts in the late Republic, how about shifting it earlier, to Marius and Sulla and the Punic Wars, and the Mithridatic Wars towards the end.
That's when Rome does start; it lasts from before the Marian Reforms to around the turn of the millenium. The period you describe covers the first half/two-thirds of the game. I suppose they could always try to cover them in more detail, though, and it would avoid that deterministic drive towards the end-game civil wars that had a tendency to hang over a Roman faction campaign like a bad smell.

Or on the Greek theme, Alexander has been done but how about the Greek city states - there were several factions, you could get the Peloponnesian War and the Trojan War thrown in too.
Good idea, but it couldn't include the "Trojan War" period- that was Mycenean Greece, about a thousand years before Classical or Hellenic Greece. The former was contemporary with the Hitties, the latter with the Persians, to give it some context.
Pellopenesian Wars would certainly be interesting, though; one of my favourite parts of Rome was the early-game phalanx-on-phalanx scuffling between Greece and Macedon, so it'd be intersting to see it on a larger scale.

I just really want huge cities in battles back, as well as the ability to change the faction heir - I don't want a random ****** in a crappy city to become my king!

I just really want huge cities in battles back, as well as the ability to change the faction heir - I don't want a random ****** in a crappy city to become my king!

Stainless Steel 6.x mostly fixes this problem. Pick one big city (probably your capital), build farm improvements so its population rises quickly, and then build universities and cathedrals and what have you. Any general or family member that sits in the city will slowly increase in quality.

It's not realistic to be able to pick your faction heir in the medieval period. Especially in the Holy Roman Empire, which had a huge mess of competing dyansties between the Salian period and the cementing of the Habsburgs.

EDIT: Ignore this post if you're speaking of Rome or Empire: Total War.

Hey guys I have an idea...

zulu: total war or modern: total war xD

C'mon now, don't disrespect my new thread!:lol:

Good idea, but it couldn't include the "Trojan War" period- that was Mycenean Greece, about a thousand years before Classical or Hellenic Greece. The former was contemporary with the Hitties, the latter with the Persians, to give it some context.
Pellopenesian Wars would certainly be interesting, though; one of my favourite parts of Rome was the early-game phalanx-on-phalanx scuffling between Greece and Macedon, so it'd be intersting to see it on a larger scale.

Well during that period it wasn't a phalanx in the Philippian sense, the men were often only a few ranks deep, and more mobile around the battlefield. Which would make it a lot more interesting.

Yeah!

Leaving Rome, what about the revival of Shogun total war??

I enjoyed how war geared Shogun was. Better battle interface sure, but leave the map interface as it is. It's called Total War, not micromanage the 300 farms and towns. I doubt any of the real emperor's had that problem.

Top Bottom