How to get an easy wonder

When you get a Great Builder hit "let me think about it" go to the city and choose a wonder you want to build go back your builder and hit finish "name of the wonder" and the wonder will be built.

I think that was pretty obvious and this isn't a trick/strategy, just normal..

I have some kind of mental block about "using" Great People. Even when it might potentially benefit me I just feel like I have to "settle" them instead. So unless ALL of my cities have a settled Great Person of that type, I can't bring myself to use that idea.

I almost never settle a Great Person. Unless what I'm planning to use him for is easily had by the extra science/gold/culture I get from settling the GP.

I pretty much never settle a Great Builder. There are too many wonders that are worth way more. Saving the Great Builder for East India Company, Samurai Castle, Trade Fair, Collosus, Leo's Workshop, or other useful ones are way better than half cost buildings in one city.

There are rare cases or particular civs that I settle GPs more often with. The Greeks and French come to mind off the top of my head. Especially a Great Artist in Paris can be a lot more powerful than a one time flip of a city. Humanitarians settled in Paris or a wonder city is nice too.

I probably use my Great Explorers a little too much instead of being prudent and let them acculate gold, but I can usually turn the extra gold into something powerful, either short or long term.

If you have a really really powerful city, whether it be trade or culture wise, then it makes sense to settle the GP. But a majority of my games are marked by a lot of cities that are about the same size and are either specialized, or just generic, and settling a GP in one of those cities wouldn't be as useful as finding a bonus that would help out the bulk of my cities, not just a single one.

I try to use GP where they'll have the most impact depending on strategy and game type.

If OCC I'll tend to settle all of the different GP types possible (and it's damned annoying having to sell a Great Artist, as if they're only worth 15g).

If playing a 'normal' game then I'd tend to settle them earlier on thinking of the long term benefits. Whereas later in the game, the shorter term impact tends to outweigh the long term.

E.g. Great Scientist: in 1000 AD would probs settlle, in 1900 AD would hold onto for rushing Space Flight or another important Tech.

If playing a 'normal' game then I'd tend to settle them earlier on thinking of the long term benefits. Whereas later in the game, the shorter term impact tends to outweigh the long term.

E.g. Great Scientist: in 1000 AD would probs settlle, in 1900 AD would hold onto for rushing Space Flight or another important Tech.

My rules of thumb:

Science / Gold - settle in a city which has/will get lots of trade and make that a science/gold. (Try to avoid putting both in the same city.) Unless you're way behind in tech the single tech isn't worth it. (And even then, wait until you've discovered the one you're working on.)

Humanitarian - Can help a city with low food (i.e that one in the mountains which will have killer production) develop, otherwise wait until you've gotten all your cities started and use 'em for the population bonus.

Builder - Use them for a Wonder. However, there are cases where having half cost buildings in a city can be a logical alternative, i.e. a city on an island which has no production but will have massive trade, and that production powerhouse for pushing out spaceship parts.

Artist - Settle them in your captial or largest cities for the culture bonus. Yes, you can flip a city with them, but it's probably half-way around the world and not worth it. Defending flipped cities from both attack and normal culture flip is tough.

Leaders - Settle them in your production powerhouse and churn out elite units. Combine those elite units with two more (which don't even need to be veterans) and you've got an elite army. Or build triple-threat armies like tanks with scout, infiltration & blitz. Laugh when the AI uses them for a one-time veteran upgrade.

My rules of thumb:

Science / Gold - settle in a city which has/will get lots of trade and make that a science/gold. (Try to avoid putting both in the same city.) Unless you're way behind in tech the single tech isn't worth it. (And even then, wait until you've discovered the one you're working on.)

Humanitarian - Can help a city with low food (i.e that one in the mountains which will have killer production) develop, otherwise wait until you've gotten all your cities started and use 'em for the population bonus.

Builder - Use them for a Wonder. However, there are cases where having half cost buildings in a city can be a logical alternative, i.e. a city on an island which has no production but will have massive trade, and that production powerhouse for pushing out spaceship parts.

Artist - Settle them in your captial or largest cities for the culture bonus. Yes, you can flip a city with them, but it's probably half-way around the world and not worth it. Defending flipped cities from both attack and normal culture flip is tough.

Leaders - Settle them in your production powerhouse and churn out elite units. Combine those elite units with two more (which don't even need to be veterans) and you've got an elite army. Or build triple-threat armies like tanks with scout, infiltration & blitz. Laugh when the AI uses them for a one-time veteran upgrade.

You can use the scientist to rush a technology. It's really tough to get industrialization by 100-200 AD if you are a bit ahead, and not hard to do. Or use the explorer to get gold and use it.

The artist can flip a city that is much better than +50% culture. If you take a city with many units (look at the flag, I wrote it in a thread) you would kill all them but the best unit. And flipping a city can make some problems. Never flip bad cities obviously.

AI is not really stupid in this way, I use the veteran upgrade a lot of times and it works much better than just waiting so much for the elite upgrade. If I haven't started building units yet, than that is going to help.

Top Bottom