The City States of Greece

I added the name of the ocean to the Strategic Map of Athens. I've also decided I'm going to allow people to buy and sell ocean plots the same as property on land. Instead of "owning the hex" you "own the fishing rights to the hex."

Like in the solomon islands where each family has "puava" rights to land and sea and you have to go through an annoying process to be able to even touch anything.... I know way too much about the solomon islands, dont ask why :p

~New Citizen Born in Athens~

Jehoshua has been born in Athens as Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios

Turn Report:
Spoiler :
T1- Discovered Ruins to the west. Temporary change in orders --> Explore Ruins

T2- Found a crudely drawn map in the ruins, revealing two more ruins. Temporary change in orders --> Explore Ruins

T4-Explored Ruins and found 70g!

T7- Explored Ruins and found the location of 2 Barbarian Encampments. Orders return to original.

T13- Old Faithful Found

T15- Scout finished. Monument started.

T16- Ruins Explore. Discovered Archery!

T18- Met Oda Nobunaga of the Japanese.

T19- Found the Japanese capital

T20- Met Warsaw

T23- New Citizen Born!

A crowd gathered around the travel weary soldier that was marching into the city, followed by a train of men carrying many different oddities from the unknown world. He was captain of the Warrior Unit, come back to Athens with a small group of his men to bring back the treasures and knowledge they had learned. He made his way through the crowd and entered the palace of the Prinkipas. Finally before him, the man started his recount of his scouting mission.
Your majesty, I am no orator, but here is my tale. Starting from the north we made our way west to the hill that was said to hold ruins upon its crest. When we reached the top there was little more than a couple buildings, but one of my men found a crude map that outlined the lands south of us. Two more cities were marked on this map, now they were probably reduced to ruins aswell, but we headed for them. Who knows what secrets about our past they may hold? We headed south east over very hilly terrain and all around us stretched grassy plains. Finally the hill came into view. These ruins were a little more impressive. Even from a distance we could make out what was left of high stone walls. Once inside the walls we found riches worth many Drachmas. That night we rested and celebrated; back in Athens people would buy such oddities for high prices. The next morning we packed up and headed out. The final spot was just a little further west, only a day or two march away. Our hopes were high the morning we knew we were in range of the final Ruins, but they were dashed when we spotted the crumbling buildings huddled closely together against the wide empty plains. There was little left when we arrived. It seemed there were barbarian tracks heading out in both directions. These ruins must have been pillaged not once, but twice by two different tribes. We figured their approximate location on the map and than headed north.

The terrain was rough, but soon it changed from dry, hot grassland to lush, cool grassland. We eventually came upon a river that flowed lazily east, so we followed it, afterall our original orders were to head north east. I decided it would be worth the risk to search out the ruins, and it thankfully payed off. At a bend we decided to part way from the river and head North East. Soon we could smell the sharp scent of spices and even see the bushes growing abundantly.

One cloudy day we received word from Athens. The scouts had made contact with a strange race of people, and we turned east and followed the coast in the direction they were said to come from. On our way we came upon yet another city ruin. What we would find in this ancient city would change Athens forever. Inside we found a sort of sling weapon that would allow us to throw sticks long distance, and accurately. We would certainly bring this back to Athens. After that there is little to report. We continued east until we arrived just outside the Japanese city, then I decided we should bring our findings back to Athens.

-

The people of Athens were overjoyed when they first heard news that all the land around Athens would be open to their use. They quickly rushed and rented all the land they could afford. Two decades later, they are contently toiling their land, though they are just barely scrapping a living. In general the populace is supportive of the Prinkipas. News of recent events have made them curious about the world outside the city-state. Who are these Japanese? What secrets have these ancient civilizations revealed to us? Finally, a new family has risen to prominence among the populace. Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios, head of the family, is starting to be recognized by a few of his neighbors and their local community.

Issues:
  • How are we going to deal with the Japanese?
  • What are you going to do with the treasures? (Right now it shows up as 70g)

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Notes:
-Player Stats Coming

Public Speech

-

People of Athens, glorious brother hellenes. We have after many centuries of wandering, by the grace of the gods, settled here in the sands along the shore of the sea to build a glorious and powerful civilisation. Under the Fotismenoi merchant family, they who were chosen by the people to oversee the settlement due to their practical wisdom in domestic matters we have come forward in leaps and bounds since the days of nomadism. Yet these steps are but nothing compared to the trials ahead, the trials of a true civilisation for they have been merely the first faw wavering steps in preparation for a long journey, a journey which is only now truly beginning.

We see this truly, for we hear word of a strange people who call themselves the Nippon-jin, the Japanese, and our scouts bring tidings of ruins and strange lands beyond the walls of Athens. However this has obscured a problem. We, the hellenes, the fathers and mothers of all that is civilised are focussing on growing an excess of food over long term economic, technological and cultural advancement. This was necessary to ensure a strong population which could till the land and run the state, but now we must adapt and change, and work to ensure the greater good. For along our current path it is known that our only true advancement was due to a fortuitous discovery in ancient ruins.

So we must change, we must the problem of a lack which may cripple us if unaddressed? Well my brothers and sisters, before the Anaktoron and the Prinkipas I say that we use the recovered gold from the ruins of the Old Empire for the good of the nation. I thus propose to the Prinkipas that this gold is put to purchasing the allegiance of the city state that calls itself Warsaw either now, or should we have insuffivient funds at present in the near future. As to why I say we must do this, it is because Warsaws friendship and its gifts, particularly gems once the city mines its gemfields, would greatly benefit us and more than recompense us for our gift of money. It would also give Athens the chance through interaction with a foreign culture to increase our own rate of cultural development accordingly, something which would surely enable us to expand our sphere of influence more quickly to the commercially valuable wines and elephant herds to the north, which in the long run will bring us far greater wealth than even this hoard of gold from ancient ruins. Utilising the vine or the tusk would ensure a far greater level of production and commerce from the state than merely farming wheat for food. Furthermore cultural advancement in general will naturally lead to the development of social policies that can further benefit the city, in particular tradition would increase culture still further and greatly hasten the expansion and advancement of the empire.

On another thing, in addition to these advancement born of culture, the frienship of Warsaw gives us strategic leverage over the city-state of Kyoto by ensuring that in any conflict our forces are augmented by an ally that is located close to the capital of Japan. Although I truly hope that unnecessary conflict does not occur between us and Japan due caution is necessary in our strategic calculations. It would also be useful should we, through a hasty program of cultural development be able to settle through an inspired populace (the free settler) the land between us, Japan and warsaw alongside the river beside the northernmost wine fields.

On this note I urge the Prinkipas to consider my proposals.

thankyou.

-

ooc: I propose we use the gold to purchase the allegiance of warsaw to gain a cultural and strategic advantage, hastening our social policy acquisition and the rate at which we acquire land and incidentally also our free settler. I also propose the obvious which is that upon getting wine or ivory we should allocate a citizen there since those spots have commerce, hammers and food and are generally superior to the other spots we posess.

research and build order is good, indeed we both came to the same conclusion (or he just acceded :mischief: ) although Japan is close so perhaps before we actually train a settler we should train a hoplite or two to defend our interests, this in consideration that economics is delaying military development. Also if we can get that settlement by the river I proposed as a distant possibility, that will cut Japan off from the rest of the continent, containing them to their little ghetto. They do have marble though so they would, and currently do have an advantage in regards to wonders.

OOC: population increases quite rapidly once you get more cities and thus the rate of emergence will increase accordingly. Besides patience is a virtue as CotE would of taught you if you played in it.

Soo... Is there any ways for new players to get their hands on some of the land? :p

Anyways, onto thoughts on our exploration! :p

I think that we should explore to the southwest, since that river area with a barbarian camp seems very interesting, not to mention rich :p

ooc: It does look good, but in my opinion settling north would (in the situation that we can get that river site before Japan) be better geostrategically in order to contain Japan and prevent its expansion. Constraining their military/production potential by limiting the amount of land they can potentially get is good in that it minimises the potential damage they can cause with their bushido enhanced warriors.

In fact... if we can get our warriors up there we could potentially kill a settler of theirs as it comes out, or pinch a worker and as such severely hamper them. Although I would only advise doing that if they have few military units and therefore cannot effectively counter, and only if it ensures we get that ring of containment Im talking about going with the northern river city.

Oh, I didn't say for certain that we should settle there, merely that we should explore the area, since it would potentially be a very good spot for a city

hmm, my sites in order of preference would be the tile NW of the wine in Japan to cut them off and get eventual usage out of old faithful, followed by a site two north of the wine furthest to our north-west along the river bank. When we get the scout I would suggest scouting that way since it a) looks good, and b) overall its a more expansion oriented site than going down south to the taiga river of yours.

As to the warriors, I would personally keep them where they are in order to spot out Japans development. Ergo kill any settlers or perhaps workers that emerge in raids depending on the feasibility of that option. The free worker that would result from a successful escapade would be quite beneficial to Hellas.

Northeast of the wine? I'd prefer to settle directly on top of it. Direct access to the wine, closer to the Old Faithful, and that wheat would be instantly harvestable.

But I agree that we should try to snatch a settler/worker from the Japanese, it would cripple them for some time :p

North west of the wine rather slight typo :p. As to your proposition of settling on top of it I disagree, yes there are immediate benefits but in the long run it includes far too much desert tiles for my tastes.

Its good that you agree with the raiding proposition though :goodjob: we need to keep them out of japanese sight (two tiles away from border) though, only to poke in periodically at times to get a better look. Perhaps resting them on that hill to their south-east?

-

Anyways for the sake of RP and so I get the credit for proposing it as I rightly should.

-

IC: Semi-public speech

Oh glorious Prinkipas, may I suggest that we keep our warriors waiting around the environs of the Japanese Empire, so that we may hinder their progress should the opportunity present itself through the capture of worker groups, or if our luck holds even a settler group. Such a thing would greatly decrease their rate of development and put us ahead of them where perhaps at this time they are ahead of us in terms of developing their nation due to the benefits of nature.
Oh great and glorious Prinkipas. I have continued my studie

Desert tiles have a chance of giving oil :p

Besides, with your place, we won't have access to the wheat fields, and thus the city will grow slowly

I agree with Magnive about the cityplacing (I think... don't own CiV* :p)
If we settle a second city on the wine a third city could be placed northeast of the ?spices?** (on the coast in the north).

*Which raises the question: What is the ring of workable tiles for a city?
** This proposal comes with my inexperience with CiV and may or may not change during the course of this game when I recieve more info.

Well, I say we should explore more the surroundings of our capital, specifically the coast, to see if we can find more CS, resources and see exactly where we are.

On desert tiles, It's just one kind of tile where oil can appear, but we'll find more oil in the sea then there. For sure.

And I think we should settle the hill directly West of the wine: the city would have a strength bonus, access to wine and wheat and near the Old Faithful.

EDIT: Then another city should be founded NE of spices on the Northern coast. We would limit their expansion and block a sea strait. And we'd have access to spices and pearls.

It would be further away from the river, however

You mean the second city, right? (Because the first one is RIGHT BESIDES a river)
Well, it's either the river or the pearls.

I mean, it would miss more river-tiles than a city settled right on the wine

actually... base commerce would be the same. both sites will give 7 commerce.
How the commerceyield will be with appropriate improvements idk

Top Bottom