okeefephil27

Chieftain
Does reputation really do anything? I hear a lot about it on the forum but i mean it's easy to over power the computer why care about reputation?
Back stabbing them just makes it easier to win.

Do people just try and keep a good reputation to make more of a challenge?

someone asked pretty much the same question in this thread.

If you have a better reputation is your final score higher?

If your rep is bad (because of sneak attacks or betrayals of allies) other civs are less likely to trust you for peace, alliances, and gifts. No effect on final score. You cannot keep two other civs from warring on each other, short of putting up a blocking line of your own units between them, and even then they can declare war but not fight, and not having contact with each other might prevent them from getting the diplomacy screen to stop it.

Some players consider keeping their rep Spotless a personal challenge...

I still don't see how Spotless is possible. I have marked it 3 or 4 times now since being told otherwise (here) that when I tease the AI into declaring war, my rep falls. And I love how when I have a unit in a square that falls into the control of my city and theirs, I'm the one who is violating the peace treaty.

Sorry, but you must have done something to "earn" your reputation, because as long as the AI declares war first, you're spotless. You can insist they remove their troops. You can demand tribute. You can subvert cities when at peace. You can bribe units and you will still be spotless. But you can not sneak attack someone. You can not attack when you've got a cease fire. You can not (I don't think) cancel an alliance. You can't declare war, even if asked to by another civ. I think you might even take a hit for asking another civ to declare war on someone. You MUST withdraw your troops if given the choice - even in the case you describe where it is in your radius.

But if you play nice, it's quite possible to remain spotless.

I almost always keep a spotless reputation as a personal challenge. I have no problem winning at deity. The key, as stated before is to keep your word and don't break treaties. As a practical matter, you can't fight a sustained war in democracy, better to change to fundamentalism or communism. If you break your word, you will no longer be spotless, and it takes a very long time(if ever) to get it back.
If you share a square with another civ, you can work it if you move a unit on to it for a turn . It's a pain though to keep demanding that ai units be removed.

I too keep a spotless reputation throughout nearly all my games. Once I've lost the use for a treaty with another civ, I just annoy and pester a civilization until they lose their patience and either declare war on me (which is what I've wanted all along) or make a sneak attack against me. Then the black mark is on them. What's bad is that once I was conquering a civ that had the great wall. Thay only had about 3 cities left and offered me a cease fire and I had to accept. It was impossible to annoy them into breaking the peace. The more I tried, they went from Uncooperative to Receptive!! Then I just had to attack them and take a small blow to my reputation.

You could also have tried the old trick of tempting them to attack by parking a caravan/freight and/or a settler/engineer next to one of their cities. The AI has a problem resisting the temptation to attack a helpless unit.

Both of those would have worked but it would have taken about five turns to build and move a unit down there. I had about 20 dragoons and I just wanted to get it over with, since I had to move on to the next civ with was right below them.

Top Bottom