CGN Forums Closed

Petek

Alpha Centaurian
Administrator
Supporter
The Civilization Gaming Network (CGN) forums have been closed, according to buster, the forum owner:

The Civilization Gaming Network forums have been closed for new postings and turned into a static archive. Earlier posts , file uploads, images and the wiki will be kept accessible as an archive as long as some interest is still there.
Registering as a new members is also no longer possible.
Existing members will for now still be able to post in the site feedback forum and to use the PM and email to user system.

CGN focused on SMACX. Originally created to host multiplayer SMACX games, it later became the center of development of scient's unofficial patch.

RIP CGN.

Wow - really blown away by that. We should probably see about mirroring CGN's content at the other SMACX sites, in case buster decides to close the site down.

D

Premature. My understanding is that CGN will be read only for the indefinite future. The content will remain accessible. By eliminating new registrations and most posts (site feedback remains open for existing members to voice their opinion about CGN's change), the site owner, buster, can devote a lot less time to keeping the site free from spammers. buster is a fan of SMAC/X. I expect the content of CGN will remain available to present and future fans of SMAC/X.

Premature. My understanding is that CGN will be read only for the indefinite future. The content will remain accessible. By eliminating new registrations and most posts (site feedback remains open for existing members to voice their opinion about CGN's change), the site owner, buster, can devote a lot less time to keeping the site free from spammers. buster is a fan of SMAC/X. I expect the content of CGN will remain available to present and future fans of SMAC/X.

Thanks for the information. It's good to hear that CGN's content will remain available.

My understanding is that CGN will be read only for the indefinite future. The content will remain accessible. By eliminating new registrations and most posts (site feedback remains open for existing members to voice their opinion about CGN's change), the site owner, buster, can devote a lot less time to keeping the site free from spammers. buster is a fan of SMAC/X. I expect the content of CGN will remain available to present and future fans of SMAC/X.

That is good to hear. My only concern is that if something happens to the database, how hard is buster going to work to recover the lost info? I still think its a good idea to mirror the info at other sites as a precaution, with the caveat being we ensure we're not infringing on anyone's IP rights, as noted previously by PeteK.

D

And as I've said on my own forum, we need to be making efforts to support each other, and see that all the SMAC(X) nexii out there are healthy. It's good for the Greater SMAC(X) community, and it's ultimately good for each individual site. I try to find pretexts to post and generate activity where I can, and so should everyone.

My only concern is that if something happens to the database, how hard is buster going to work to recover the lost info?

While I have no problem with mirroring CGN's content (speaking for my contribution only), I wouldn't be overly concerned about the database. Read-only actually reduces the risk of an overwrite or deletion. And buster needs only make a back-up once and store the back-up in a safe location for easy recovery.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the database. Read-only actually reduces the risk of an overwrite or deletion. And buster needs only make a back-up once and store the back-up in a safe location for easy recovery.

Your probably right - just me being over-meticulous in regards to documentation and ensuring we don't lose anything at CGN.

Buster's Uncle said:
we need to be making efforts to support each other, and see that all the SMAC(X) nexii out there are healthy. It's good for the Greater SMAC(X) community, and it's ultimately good for each individual site. I try to find pretexts to post and generate activity where I can, and so should everyone.

:goodjob: And as I get bandwidth I try to help the Greater SMACX Community as well (a la the Scenario Repository, as well as the scenario I just released). Question: would it help the Greater SMACX Community if I were to publish a new unique scenario at each of the remaining sites which still host SMACX forums? It might be a good way to introduce people at the targeted sites to SMACX, as well as get the already converted (i.e. the SMACX Faithful) to flock to a site, thus giving the site additional hits. I can't promise a timeframe on this, but if you think it a good approach let me know and I'll see what I can do from my end.

D

AC2 and our GotM team would enthusiastically support such a thing. Our style has been to work up a nice presentation OP with a frontpage illustration, and link the content - but I know you're thinking posting the file, and I think I can safely speak for the team that we'd be fine with delighted to do it your way if that will get your input/participation on the tech/scenario-generating end.

Presentation and promotion count in getting the scenarios into people's hands, and we're good at that, and can help a lot with that part. And I know you love having new visuals to accompany your work - if you haven't noticed, our we've got two accomplished artists on the team, with Kilkankon and I, and two more competent guys I've trained active in Modding, and almost certainly available if we want/need them.

-Also, Rymdolov is as good a SMAC(X) writer as I've seen. And I fancy that I have some legitimate credentials in that area, too. Story matters in these things; that's something we learned from you.

It serves my selfish purposes, too, in that I think you pitching in would help get the rest fired up, motivated, and productive. I can promise my active participation in whatever you want to create right now. Today. This is a win-win for everyone.

If I might suggest a way to get started, head over to our team folder ASAP and start reading and posting. There's a lot of ideas in there to pick up and run with, and we can start kicking around whatever you already have in the works right away. Let's do this thing; let's make it happen!

If I might suggest a way to get started, head over to our team folder ASAP and start reading and posting. There's a lot of ideas in there to pick up and run with, and we can start kicking around whatever you already have in the works right away. Let's do this thing; let's make it happen!

As I mentioned in my previous post, why I can't promise a timeframe on anything (i.e. I don't want another fiasco like what I promised with the AC Mods Repository), however I will stop by tomorrow and post some stuff in your forum before I go on vacation. We can go from there. :goodjob:

D

Okydoke; plan.

I can't ask you to devote time you don't have, but we both know you have a little more time than you tend to admit. ;)

There do remain details to be worked out, so let's work them properly. -Keep in mind that if you wait until 6 in the morning and then have technical problems (the folder should have been visible to you for a very long time now, but I have no way of being sure) I won't be there to help for a while. Not to be pushy; I'm just sayin'.

Looking forward to this.

Oh - one related idea fit for airing publically that strikes me?

Post each scenario at its own forum, as you suggest. Crosslink each one to all the AC spots we're trying to support, each time. We want to spread the word to lurkers and new members at all forums that all exist, and where, and are worthy of browsing attention/posting activity. The Greater SMAC(X) Community is bigger than any one place.

In the spirit of the Greater SMACX Community-boosting issues under discussion, I am compelled to bite the bullet [takes a deep breath]...

Not entirely premature. There's the CMN Academy issue, as our most active AC2 CMN, t_ras, immediately realised. CMN training is a dynamic process, and we're going to have to set up in-house, because all our CMNs are too busy to give our bustling MP community all the attention it deserves, and we need more guys on the job.

As I said in public last October when I asked t_ras to assume some of the leadership duties in MP (before a new job and his daughter being born conspired to take up his free time):
I don't remember if you were around in the earliest days of WPC when vyeh was running MP, but he did a fantastic job - things happened on time and promptly, morale seemed to be great, and the games kept moving along. There was leadership.

Which leads me directly to my main point, since you're free now: vyeh, come sign up at AC2. Please. Your talent, your focused and detail-oriented nature, and your wide knowledge of things SMAC(X) could be of infinite use to the community once again. I assume RL began to make greater demands on your available time by last year, but just sticking your head in in MP and Bug/Patch Discussion (you and Yitzi were made for each other) and commenting when you have the time and inclination could make a big difference. No one has more to offer the Community than you.

The impressive level of activity in Modding ought to be of interest to you, too.

Your guarantee of decent treatment? sisko wouldn't let me do anything to you that you didn't earn. It would be counter to my management style, and destroy the trust I've built up with my people that we just don't go nerdbadge on anyone, ever. (I imagine you've lurked enough to know that I'm not making that up.) And finally, that's why I'm putting myself on the spot by making the offer publically, by name; if this ends badly, my reputation in the AC Community could take a hit, depending. Sir, I care about my reputation, and I'm not doing this only to embarrass myself in front of everyone.

(I am out to win an old argument with Darsnan ;), but that's irrelevant to my true purpose. And Lefty would think more of both of us if we made this work - also mostly immaterial, but definitely not nothing, and he's not the only one. Closer to everyone who's been around long enough. You understand, of course, that I'm giving ground I'd rather not by even extending this invitation, let alone saying please, but duty calls, and it's about something larger than both of us. We don't even have to interact there, depending, but I'd love to prove that we can peacefully be in the same room.)

This is not a trap or any kind of trick. -Not my style. It is an attempt to openly work something positive out and move into the future in an atmosphere of maximum transparency to minimize trust issues arising. Likewise, I would ask you to avoid conducting business by PM as much as possible, not least so that I'm never left wondering what you're up to. I would also expect the same blank slate I'm offering you.

I will put you in the CMN membergroup the second I see you onsite, as I do any qualified CMN I'm aware of, and I suggest that if you need to discuss any of this privately, we can do so in the CMN folder. (Avoiding PMs in that way would tend to protect you more than me, as sisko and the other CMNs would be witnesses.)

Again, this asks for no commitment beyond good-faith behavior in whatever time you do have/choose to devote. Take a chance, and try. As you know from long ago, my favorite sort of win is a win-win for everyone. We can have that, if you choose.

Your probably right - just me being over-meticulous in regards to documentation and ensuring we don't lose anything at CGN.

As Petek quoted buster, "Earlier posts , file uploads, images and the wiki will be kept accessible as an archive as long as some interest is still there."

My point is that buster's move should be seen as a step that increases the longevity of CGN's content.

Darsnan said:
Question: would it help the Greater SMACX Community if I were to publish a new unique scenario at each of the remaining sites which still host SMACX forums?

AC2 and our GotM team would enthusiastically support such a thing. Our style has been to work up a nice presentation OP with a frontpage illustration, and link the content - but I know you're thinking posting the file, and I think I can safely speak for the team that we'd be fine with delighted to do it your way if that will get your input/participation on the tech/scenario-generating end.

OK, update: while on vacation I wrote the backstory and the premise for the first scenario (current working title "Shadow Lord"), and I've just chosen the base graphics (I assume I can use your graphics for this project, Buster's Uncle?) for the custom faction I'm going to create for the first scenario. Also I posted over at AC2 the cover art I'd like to use, however I don't know the artist's name so can't give them credit (I got the pic from a book cover that was published in the '70s, and it doesn't list the artist's name). We can run with that graphic, or if you think someone could whip up something better we can go that route - let me know.

I'll see how far I can get with the scenario before I go back to work, then its going to be intermittent as far as progress is concerned. FYI.

D

Sounds good. Plan.

Mylochka would like some feedback on your ideas - she uses a 3D modeling program to generate the basis for her promotional art, and maximum lead time is good.

Oh, I don't think there will be an issue in regards to maximum lead time! :lol:

Appreciate Mylochka signing up for this! :goodjob: And just to make sure I understand correctly, why Mylochka has no issues having her work posted at various forums? The whole intent of this endeavor is to foster/ support the remaining SMACX communities, so I want to make sure everyone who contributes understands this philosophy.

D

No one on the team has those issues, to my knowledge, least of all her.

Sounds good.

We're going to be traveling all day tomorrow, so getting into it today would be good...

And speaking of travel, why I will be on business travel for my company most of next week, so communication will be spotty at best.

Also, as we move forward with this project, has anyone thought of anything else in regards to this initiative (i.e. my posting a scenario at each of the remaining SMACX sites to help draw participation)? Do you all still think this project is a good idea/ approach?

D

My main concern is that posting a scenario once at a place is a mere activity bump, no matter how good the scenario, no matter how well-promoted and popular it is. Darsnan, your plan is to do one, maybe two rounds of scenarios, (the Deadlock stuff deserving a whole set by itself). I'm hoping, as I've told you, that this project will get some key people feeling motivated, and we can get the GotMs rolling out on a regular basis again. Your scenarios should be part of sisko's GotM contest, of course, as that takes away nothing and actually adds value.

Your time and interest are what they are, and I have to accept that this project is finite in design - but I submit to you that you could help out as far as getting something ongoing going beyond your direct participation with advice. You've been around forever and a top scenario guy forever, and you could point me at people to try to recruit into the effort. Better, you could talk to them yourself. This goes for Petek, too, or anyone who knows anyone who can help.

Good, fun, scenarios are of inestimable value to the community, not only for their inherent play experience for members, but, and this has always been my interest in being on the GotM team, as content bait to draw lurkers who google for SMACX goodies, and encourage them to sign up and join the wonderful conversation. There are always new lurkers, and thus there is an ongoing need for occasional new scenarios.

We can do this - it only needs a small investment in time and effort to get the right people together and set up something long-lasting.

Top Bottom