Unit Request: Shaolin Monk

Flamegrape

Warlord
A Shaolin Monk would make a great Chinese flavor Medieval Infantry unit, yes?

LINK TO VERY LARGE IMAGE

I know about the "monk" unit that's included with the Japanese extra units in the PTW expansion. I'm using that unit for now. But it's far from perfect. And orange-robed Shaolin Monk unit would be perfect.

interesting, but its al ways better to use major types of troops in place of little niche trooper if possible; besides, lacking armour, I'd say he more ranks a one on defence then even the alreayd lowlly 2 given to the reguler MI

I'd definitely like to have this unit. Maybe for a fantasy unit, but not a historical unit. :) Shaolin Monks weren't a part of the Imperial Chinese army and I doubt they ever were interested in the politics of the fickle emperors. ;)

Or it could serve as a Kagyu Monk for Tibet...

I strongly second this request! Even though it would be a "niche unit" ... but it reflects a good deal of what China and Chinese culture is all about. A true "flavor unit" which could even be a "Unique Unit".

TopGun69 said:
Even though it would be a "niche unit" ... but it reflects a good deal of what China and Chinese culture is all about.

You mean the Hollywood stereotypes of what China and Chinese culture is all about. :p :crazyeye:

But it can be one very interesting "What-if" unit. Like what if the Chinese monks did the same thing the Japanese monks did - become heavily involved in the politics of the government. :)

Buddhism became a major political force (and a political tool) in Japan's feudal ages.

The Tendai monks of Enryakuji Temple on Mount Hiei were politically powerful and enjoyed the patronage of the imperial family. They were so powerful, that Oda Nobunaga himself considered them to be a threat to his power and razed the temple in 1571.

mostly japan has been run by military, and it is the military who controlled the religion not the other way, if the monks were powerful nobunaga wouldnt have become as powerful because he was christian. and if buddhism became so powerful it wouldnt have curshed shintoism, but it wasnt. it mixed. the samurai controlled japan they were buddhist but not monks.

Took me a while to dig up this thread, but I found it. :bump: If someone is interested in modeling the wardrobe, I'd be happy do this unit. I could use it as a blademaster for the mod I'm working on.

Some specs for anyone interested. I use Poser as my main animation program, and Kinboat's paperdoll figure as the character. If you need it, I could convert it into a 3ds file so you could model the clothes around the figure.

Anyone up for it? :)

Top Bottom