Tomatekh's New Civilizations

For some reason Caral, Harappa, and The Garamentes are not playing well with the CPB, at least not on later start dates. I was experimenting with an entirely different mod and was starting in the modern era but was crashing when I clicked next turn. This doesn't happen when starting in the ancient era, but it does make me worry about the game crashing when I reach later eras.

For some reason Caral, Harappa, and The Garamentes are not playing well with the CPB, at least not on later start dates. I was experimenting with an entirely different mod and was starting in the modern era but was crashing when I clicked next turn. This doesn't happen when starting in the ancient era, but it does make me worry about the game crashing when I reach later eras.

I've been running Caral and the Garamantes for a while without issue. Any chance you could post your mod list and logs?

Hmm, it would be strange for any of those mods to have problems in the later eras. All of them have their uniques in the ancient era, so there’s no new code that only fires later in the game that doesn’t already fire from the start.

The only common element of those three mods in particular is that all three use the fresh water feature I add. However, I do this with insert or replace so there should be no overlap problems. The Garamantes also use it from the start (unlike the other two which only use it in decisions) so if it’s not crashing early on it shouldn’t be a problem. Coincidentally, MC’s Nazca also does something similar so I’d check if the problem also occurs for them. Besides that, both also save a lot of plots with saveutils. My Sioux do the same (but on a larger scale) so I’d check if the Sioux also have problems to test if that’s the cause.

Otherwise, I’m not sure. Posting logs and database entries would be helpful. I don’t use CBP so I can’t say if it’s a specific interaction. From my knowledge of it, though, there’s nothing specific about the CBP late game that should cause such a conflict.

The Garamantes are getting an update soon. Since I've basically re-built the mod from scratch, if they are the problem, it should be fixed in the near future.

You mean code- wise, design wise, or both?
If both, did you add a UI?

Hmm, it would be strange for any of those mods to have problems in the later eras. All of them have their uniques in the ancient era, so there’s no new code that only fires later in the game that doesn’t already fire from the start.

The only common element of those three mods in particular is that all three use the fresh water feature I add. However, I do this with insert or replace so there should be no overlap problems. The Garamantes also use it from the start (unlike the other two which only use it in decisions) so if it’s not crashing early on it shouldn’t be a problem. Coincidentally, MC’s Nazca also does something similar so I’d check if the problem also occurs for them. Besides that, both also save a lot of plots with saveutils. My Sioux do the same (but on a larger scale) so I’d check if the Sioux also have problems to test if that’s the cause.

Otherwise, I’m not sure. Posting logs and database entries would be helpful. I don’t use CBP so I can’t say if it’s a specific interaction. From my knowledge of it, though, there’s nothing specific about the CBP late game that should cause such a conflict.

The Garamantes are getting an update soon. Since I've basically re-built the mod from scratch, if they are the problem, it should be fixed in the near future.

I'll hold off on log posting until I actually play a game through, I'm still seeing what works/doesn't work with CBP plus editing my files accordingly. In this case I kind of wish it wasn't updated so frequently.....

You mean code- wise, design wise, or both?

The civ is completely different but exactly the same.

In this case I kind of wish it wasn't updated so frequently.....

The Garamantes haven't had a real update since January. There was a small update in June which only changed the map art file and updated mod compatibility; no actual changes to the mod itself.

I meant the CP and the CBP, those are updated very frequently.

So I ran a game with my usual setup, but all the extra civs except Garamantes (and Flanders cos I missed them) disabled. I've been getting a CTD for months and trying to track it down. Hadn't thought of going through civs before because I figured it was something major like ExCE and CBP or whatever, but anyway...

Djalla is in the game.
At some point near the Industrial Era I get the CTD. Restarting the game from a save repeats the crash at the same time (with random seed on reload)
Debug log shows it is just after his turn has ended.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi

Attachments

• logs.zip
    672.7 KB · Views: 72
Benin Goths lack reference of culture diversity in their modinfo files

You must not be using the latest version, as I updated both mods for Cul Div support a while ago (and checking their latest versions both have support and reference the mod).

So I ran a game with my usual setup, but all the extra civs except Garamantes (and Flanders cos I missed them) disabled. I've been getting a CTD for months and trying to track it down. Hadn't thought of going through civs before because I figured it was something major like ExCE and CBP or whatever, but anyway...

Hmmm, one way to test if the Garamantes' abilities are contributing to the crash is to remove the lua. You can either temporarily remove the lua file from the mod outright or copy it and delete the contents of the one in the folder. Either way, removing the lua should cause no problems with the game loading, but will prevent any of their lua abilites from firing. Then just see if it gets past the turn. If it does then the lua is likely affecting it in some way (probably due to an interaction with another larger mod also being used than by itself). Then afterwards simply restore the original file to its original location.

I have not been able to replicate any problems with the Garamantes and using the mod by itself have had no problems with the mod in the later eras. As I said, there's no extra code that only fires later in the game. CBP seems to be the common thread with both reports, so I can only assume some interaction between the two mods (if the Garamantes are causing a crash).

You must not be using the latest version, as I updated both mods for Cul Div support a while ago (and checking their latest versions both have support and reference the mod).

Hmmm, one way to test if the Garamantes' abilities are contributing to the crash is to remove the lua. You can either temporarily remove the lua file from the mod outright or copy it and delete the contents of the one in the folder. Either way, removing the lua should cause no problems with the game loading, but will prevent any of their lua abilites from firing. Then just see if it gets past the turn. If it does then the lua is likely affecting it in some way (probably due to an interaction with another larger mod also being used than by itself). Then afterwards simply restore the original file to its original location.

I have not been able to replicate any problems with the Garamantes and using the mod by itself have had no problems with the mod in the later eras. As I said, there's no extra code that only fires later in the game. CBP seems to be the common thread with both reports, so I can only assume some interaction between the two mods (if the Garamantes are causing a crash).

but I downloaded them from steam just yesterday

removing the lua should cause no problems with the game loading
Never thought of this.

Removing the lua didn't solve the problem. It seems to hang on Sweden's turn (directly after Djalla). I noticed the last file written to logs is "Callstack", which is empty. I don't recall seeing this file before. I'll take it up with Gazebo.

This is completely off-topic but I think the Cham Ballista elephant should get another bonus because they are weak right now. I also think they should get a more unique bonus instead of +50% defense, on top of not having to setup.

You can completely disregard me if you disagree. I also should note that the Champa are really cool and unique and I think the UU should be cool and unique as well.

Not having set up is a pretty big thing though. Like really, really important thing.

Yeah... the downside is that they are all-around weaker than crossbowmen :)c5strength:12 vs. :c5strength:13) and :)c5rangedstrength:14 vs. :c5rangedstrength:18) and they also have one less vision. I suggest:

Comes earlier in the tech tree (metal casting)

+1 movement point

Gain a small bonus against land units and extra sight

Woodsman promotion

Can move after attacking

Or even:

Trains faster (+5%) for every forest or jungle being worked by the city

Note: could also work with animal resources

Yeah... the downside is that they are all-around weaker than crossbowmen :)c5strength:12 vs. :c5strength:13) and :)c5rangedstrength:14 vs. :c5rangedstrength:18)

But their :c5rangedstrength: is 28 versus cities, which is the point of the unit (being, after all, a siege unit).

I actually do feel that Champa needs some balance adjustments. I don’t know if the UU is the right place for them, though. Even with the lower bonus vs cities, the Ballistae Elephant out damages the trebuchet for the first two turns (equaling out on the third). However, it also allows you to reposition if necessary and, especially for the human player, is much more useful to focus fire and when attacking after disembarking.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to a crossbowman, as it’s not meant as a replacement for that unit. Although it has a lower combat strength than a crossbowman, without needing to set up, the Elephant can still more easily support your army than a trebuchet, providing additional ranged damage to units without slowing you down even when not near cities. It’s true that maybe the UU is a little boring compared to the rest of the uniques.

In the near future Champa will be getting a mod compatibility update. I probably won’t include any significant balance changes in that (just to save time as I need to do a mod compatibility update for all of my mods), but I’ll think about adjusting the UU (or the civ as a whole) for the update after that.

Top Bottom