Bug Report (English)

I searched the entire forum for this bug and cannot find if anyone else has this issue. When playing certain mods (i.e. PieAncientEurope, World of Legends, can't remember but possibly Overlord 2.3.6 and Neoteric World), I have a culture bomb after the 1st turn and every player's capital has Legendary Culture. All the borders are instantly attached to everyone else's. I do (usually) turn off espionage which I know converts all the spy points to culture. Anyone else run into this and know how to fix it???

Thx

If you are playing 4.14B or lower it was a mistake of mine.

We had two known bugs in the past.

1) culture bomb when playing with one of the new slower game speeds (missing file)
2) culture bomb from migration because migrating people could take a negative amount of culture with them. And that pushed the culture rate near to MAX_INT.

What version are you playing?

:D It's much easier. In the upper left corner is a button (BUG button with new style) that leads to the game and interface options. Goto "Optional" and scroll down. There is somewhere a check box for DDL.

it is actually not. cause i only play civ in hotseat, what counts as "network play" in BUG Mod. so the "options" tab is blank/is showing "edit in files"

During my (unfortunately only started and then crashed) games with 4.14D I got the feeling that turn times are much longer now than they were in 4.12. I was still in the BC era and except for barbs developing into new civs there was not much going on that could have caused such a delay. Maybe it is just me. Do others experience that as well?
(I think I read somewhere regarding BetterAI that turn times are much slower with one of the new BetterAI versions.)

I also try to provide you with a save as I have never got over the BC era due to crashes. I don't know what could have caused it. (Next game I will revert back to the exact setup I had with 4.12, perhaps that will help.)

During my (unfortunately only started and then crashed) games with 4.14D I got the feeling that turn times are much longer now than they were in 4.12.

Crashed games with 4.14D?:sad: I have none. Save and settings please.

And yes, I also saw delays in turns with the newer BBAI. Don't ask we why. And CCV requires also more calculations since 4.12.

----------------------------------------------------

So back to business. I will upload a new but savegame compatible patch E for 4.14D because I found a major bug in CCV. The Advanced Cargo is a gamebreaker although it seemed fine.

I remembered this post and have done some tests today:

9. ich persönlich zocke am liebsten große karten (ab xxl, perfect world, kaiser). bei dieser einstellung gibts dann auch noch 1,2 kontinente nur mit barbaren (die sich bei besiedlung bzw. eroberung heftigst wehren, wunderbar!).
nur leider bin ich dann der einzige der versucht, diese kontinente zu zivilisieren, liegts vielleicht daran, das keine neuen zivilisationen zur bildung von kolonien übrig sind?
auch kleine inseln (mit von ihnen benötigten ressourcen) direkt vor ihrer haustür werden nicht mehr eingenommen.

And so I found out that we got a big problem here. There are two parts

a) BBAI doesn't allow the AI to found cities in over sea areas if the AI is in financial trouble. That makes sence in many cases but can also lead to suboptimal results. I made the AI now capable but less likely to do so.

b) Advanced Cargo works fine for the human but not for the AI. The AI wasn't able to load normal units onto transport ships. So the AI wasn't able to settle over sea as described above and also not able to attack from sea side. Just special unit types like missiles, fighters and persons could have been loaded by the AI (sometimes). Real gamebreaker. If you got an older game disable Advanced Cargo and everything works fine. If you got a game with version 4.14D the new patch will help you.

And I noticed that there was still a problem with the dynamic difficulty level. You could still fall through to settler. Solved too with the new patch. And also a minor graphic bug is solved that was discovered by the UP team. And units would wake up now if the damage from the plot feature increased.

Thomas SG, I briefly played two games through the BC-era with 4.14E yesterday. So far it went well. Now I am unsure, whether my crashes with 4.14D during the last days were due to the maps I played (crash with PerfectWorld2 and PlanetGenerator, no crash with tectonics and fractal) or the civ-engine (and perhaps the bugs are now already fixed). The problem might also be attributed to my slow pc (because PerfectWorld2 and PlanetGenerator produce way bigger maps it seems).
Bottomline is: I couldn't replicate my crashes until now. I will do further tests during the next days.

I do, however, have a last save for 4.12 (I had continued that game) and found a strange thing: Churchill built all the wonders he had already built before again in the year 1730 or so (at least according to the log). I was a bit confused. For this game I have a save and attach it here (it is from 2-3 turns before the strange messages appeared). Perhaps you have already got rid of this problem for 4.14, but I thought I should still mention it.

Attachments

• ver4.12, CellKu AD-1720 CCV-Bis, LogProblem Churchill in ca. 3 turns.CivBeyondSwordSave
    858.5 KB · Views: 64
Thomas SG, I briefly played two games through the BC-era with 4.14E yesterday. So far it went well. Now I am unsure, whether my crashes with 4.14D during the last days were due to the maps I played (crash with PerfectWorld2 and PlanetGenerator, no crash with tectonics and fractal) or the civ-engine (and perhaps the bugs are now already fixed). The problem might also be attributed to my slow pc (because PerfectWorld2 and PlanetGenerator produce way bigger maps it seems).
Bottomline is: I couldn't replicate my crashes until now. I will do further tests during the next days.

I do, however, have a last save for 4.12 (I had continued that game) and found a strange thing: Churchill built all the wonders he had already built before again in the year 1730 or so (at least according to the log). I was a bit confused. For this game I have a save and attach it here (it is from 2-3 turns before the strange messages appeared). Perhaps you have already got rid of this problem for 4.14, but I thought I should still mention it.

Okay, that is the bug report I was missing. We have a bug report in the German bug thread from a multiplayer game (hotseat) that showed me some unknown problems and mistakes. MP was very unstable. And while solving those problems yesterday I found also a bug that caused trouble with research and wonders/buildings. That's exactly what you have noticed. And I was wondering why it should only happen in MP. So that is the missing bug report.

And so the good news are that I have nearly finish a much better version 4.15 that is working much better and stable in MP and also avoids bugs in SP. I will release it very soon but first I have to solve a gamebreaker in Start as Minors I noticed in my last test game. But 4.15 will not be save game compatible.

And don't run BarbCiv in 4.14 x and below. This mod is a CTD machine!!! In 4.15 it seems to be stable.

Could you please post a short feedback? What about version 4.15? Stable? Any errors or even CTDs? :shifty:

Hi Thomas SG,

I played until around 1000AD and did not experience any instability problems. And turn times are much better now - but that could be due to the map I play (tectonics, not PlanetGenerator anymore)
However, I experienced a weird galley "jump". As you will see in the following picture my galley is on the bottom of that land mass. The turn before it was on the top, a few tiles away from my Great Merchant.
Spoiler :

I include the save from the turn before the jump. I hope that helps and that "jump" can be reproduced.

I couldn't get much experience with the new immigration system: only in regard of immigration/emigration due to health problems (once I had someone moving into the city that was next to that (pop losing) civ, otherwise it was me who got the warnings). I like your warning system (btw, how many turns do you warn, before they move?) and that people only start thinking about moving when I have -2 health (not already at -1). Since you added new health resources, such as potatoes, I was able to deal with the new "emigration due to health problems" - but it was a bit tricky (1. warning, 2. race to find a new resource or trade, 3. growth, 4. new warning etc.). So overall both features (new resources and immigration (=special penalty for health problems)) seem balance each other well until now in my game (one caveat though: I play with the feature "pollution from improvements", otherwise it would have been much easier (and probably less fun)).
So far, well done one the immigration feature! (Now I hope to see some war-induced imigration during the next turns.) :)

Attachments

• CellKu AD-0940 CCV-Lou - SuddenjumpGalley.CivBeyondSwordSave
    522 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for your report. :)

I played until around 1000AD and did not experience any instability problems. And turn times are much better now - but that could be due to the map I play (tectonics, not PlanetGenerator anymore)

Good news. :) And the turn times are also improved by code changes. Especially if you use the automations.

However, I experienced a weird galley "jump". As you will see in the following picture my galley is on the bottom of that land mass. The turn before it was on the top, a few tiles away from my Great Merchant.
Spoiler :

I include the save from the turn before the jump. I hope that helps and that "jump" can be reproduced.

:eek: How can that happen? I'll check it fast. That may not happen.

I couldn't get much experience with the new immigration system: only in regard of immigration/emigration due to health problems (once I had someone moving into the city that was next to that (pop losing) civ, otherwise it was me who got the warnings).

It can happen that people want to leave your city and that immigrants will enter the city. People are less likely to move to cities that other people want to leave but is not impossible. Especially if the reason is a different one it may happen. Example. If those are leaving because of sickness and your city is healthy while your peolpe may want to leave because of war they may still choose your city as their target city.

I like your warning system (btw, how many turns do you warn, before they move?)

The warning is given in the moment the people are thinking about it. But if the reason is not starvation (no delay!) it will take some turns until they may really leave. The decision is randomized but the number of minimum delay turns depends on the game speed. It goes 1/2/3/6/8/16 from quick to marathon XXL turns at the moment.

I continued playing and found a few minor bugs:

1.) The Hilter-text has a flaw:
Spoiler :

2.) I got the message that an "Axeman" had died. It is not my unit and it seems it is also no hero. See the log in the picture. I can't remember to have seen such messages of seemingly foreign normal units before.
Spoiler :

Unfortunately I have only a save from that turn, not the turn before. If that will help you anyway, let me know.

3.) My worker gets the leader bonuses from another (here from Carthago) hero/Great General. Is that intended?
Spoiler :

1) Solved

2) No idea. Really not yours? Absolutly sure?

3) Of course not. :lol: Easy to solve. But doesn't really hurt at the moment.

ad 2) The text is white. I thought when one of my unit dies, the message will be red. AFAIK I was not attacked - no "you are attacked"-message and none of my axemen was running around outside of my cities. Do units die without any fight? Well, if that happens again I hope I can provide a save from the turn before...

hi Thomas,

so far i am playing and couldn't find a bug in the gameplay.
though i have to admit the immigration system is kind of annoying me.
having to adapt is hard! ;)

anyway, one bug i found but not during gameplay, instead i found it when i wanted to start a new map: the "full_of_resources" template crashes the game whenever i even select it :S

I got a CTD. :( I am not sure whether it is my comp or the game. When I played, the crash happened about two turns from the turn of the save I have posted. When I reloaded this save, it crashed this very turn. So, I gave up and hope the crash can be reproduced. If not please let me know.

Attachments

• CellKu AD-1320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    686 KB · Views: 179
anyway, one bug i found but not during gameplay, instead i found it when i wanted to start a new map: the "full_of_resources" template crashes the game whenever i even select it :S

Yes, that is true. Even the newer version 3.11 of this map will crash. This is no effect of my changes in the map script. No idea. I have never seen something like that before. But I have really no idea about maps.

I got a CTD. :( I am not sure whether it is my comp or the game. When I played, the crash happened about two turns from the turn of the save I have posted. When I reloaded this save, it crashed this very turn. So, I gave up and hope the crash can be reproduced. If not please let me know.

Can somebody confirm this CTD please? I have loaded the save three times. Two times I run it for 20 AI Autoturns. No CTD. Third time I run it 112 turns. No CTD again.

I've loaded twice and played at least 10 turns with no CTD. :hmm:
The cause may be the game or system configuration as the CTD doesn't seem to be reproducible on every machine. :/
I play on Linux (64 Bit) with Wine. You can see my system specs at my profile page.

So, it must be my pc then? I am sorry for the worry I have caused. :blush: I usually play medium maps and haven't experienced any trouble with it so far, but maybe my pc couldn't handle it anymore? :confused: Next game I will switch to a smaller map then.

Btw, did you get the circumnavigation bonus in your tests of my save? I wondered why I didn't see the message (before the first CTD I had made it around). And I couldn't find in the log whether an AI civ had made it around. (Could that be because I collected various maps and didn't go the way all by myself?)

You know I don't play myself. And testing a map like this takes some time. So I started the AI autoplay and go away to do something else. I wouldn't have noticed it. But I can test it again.

Sorry, I feel rather stupid now. :blush: Yesterday, nothing worked with the game and I didn't know what to do. So I gave up. Today everything worked fine. And the turn time was again as good as ever, not as long as yesterday. No clue what that was. :confused: Sorry for troubling you.

And, actually, I saw that I got the circumnavigation bonus. So that is okay, too.
The good thing is I can continue the game and get a closer look at your modern era goodies... ;)

Btw, the French Dragoon is not yet in 4.15, or is it?

Top Bottom