Open ground penalty.

It does that if you think unit vs unit but that is the Civ IV approach.

If you think 5 attacker units vs 3 defender units open ground penalty actually favors defender. Defender can place his troops in forests, hills or in town. Same time attacker has to move towards objective and often has to leave his units in open ground where they are vulnerable to defenders attacks.

Except for the part that if you are unfortunate enough to kill your opponent, now your weakened unit is sitting out in the open ground and it is about to become 4 on 2.

does anyone feel like this penalty is actually a good thing? Any arguments FOR it? 'Cause right now I am leaning towards open ground being the traditional no modifier.
I am in favor. For reasons of realism and gameplay both. Granted, it makes things more complicated.

I think calvary doing better in open ground is the only real reason for the defensive penalty there, and they could be given that bonus separately. In real life, most major battles were fought in open ground. If it were that hard to defend, they wouldn't have done it.
I disagree that it is unrealistic. Combat favors both attacker and defender depending on the situation. Generally the offensive side is bound to come out on top in a war of equal strength assuming they don't go off picking poor fights.

Attacking is having the initiative. The element of surprise. Choosing when and where the battle will take place. Need to be able to see the enemy and to move without restraint for this. In open terrain against a completely unprepared enemy this is the case in Civ5. This is the -33% for defenders in open terrain.

If they are not in open terrain unprepared, the bonus for attacker is lost. Makes sense since hills and forests are naturally easy to use for concealment and cover, while slowing down the attacker. Don't need time to prepare for it.

While in the open, then, if the defenders are prepared? That's the 50% fortification bonus. Defenders stronger.

As counterintuitive it seems open ground penalty is actually feature that makes defending better than attacking.
That as well. As you said though, the combat is a lot more complicated than Civ4. It turned tactical. Knowing the force mix and amount required is just part of it compared to 5 with new modifiers, logistical issues and ranged combat.

You're assuming the defender even has a choice.

What if you have to defend a big open plain?
You can do either of these three (including all three at once):

1. Fortify. +50% (a few turns of foresight required)
2. (no foresight required) Attack them as they approach within range (this is known as a 'spoiling attack') as suggested.
3. Build defensive structures (fortress or citadel) (foresight required).

I don't even see a game justification for making defense so weak most of the time and so conditional on terrain. It's not even a question of tactics per se: the foolish no-stacking approach means that units can end up shoved out into the open because the Amazon jungle isn't large enough to hold all of them.
Defense is not weaker. There's fortification bonus, forts and/or choosing to attack first. Defender is covered.

The combat isn't tactical because it is possible to fill jungles with units completely? It does not follow logically.

I understand the arguments about keeping the penalty but until the AI isn't so stupid, a -33% to open field defense is nothing but a giant stupidity tax on the AI.

Whoever is saying that the open terrain penalty favors defenders has not played in a game without it.
If there is no open terrain penalty, the AIs are better able to defend themselves, instead of being wiped out by the super AI that tend to form itself around midgame. Open ground penalty is the reason AIs get crushed so bad, by other AIs and the human.

From a game perspective any one modifier is meaningless, it only matters in comparison to the other modifiers. Thus I have no problem with the malus for defending open ground per se in terms of game balance.

From a realism perspective it's a lot more complicated. Units that depended a lot on formations for their power would be weaker in broken terrain like forests or hills. Phalanx based armies tended to only offer battle on open ground for this reason. They should not be given an advantage for defending in forest etc. Mounted units likewise have a much harder time navigating woods and should be given a malus to attack and defense in such terrain (though many would dismount historically in order to be more effective).

It's important also to consider what is the unit defending against. Obviously terrain that offers cover and or concealment is going to advantage units defending against missile attacks (arrows, bolts, bullets, bombs, and artillery). Units that depend more on individual action like swordsmen and who are armed with fairly handy weapons (like swords) would be considerably less disadvantaged by woods than units armed with polearms that depended more on group action (like pikes or halberds). Thus swords should have an advantage over spears in woods.

One of the main reasons that the vast majority of battles have historically taken place on open ground is that it allowed command and control. With the complete disregard for realism (never a strong suit in Civ games, but reaching a new low in Civ 5) we can assume that this will never be a consideration.

A complaint about Civ4 was that warfare was too focused on cities. There clear incentive was to bottle up in your city and hope for the best, rather than going out into the field and attacking to prevent pillaging. I would imagine this is an attempt to rectify that focus, although it's perhaps not necessary, given 1UPT.

The system doesn't favor the strategic attacker. It favors the tactical defender. The defender has choice of where to defend and where not to defend. Not to mention the fact the defender can often pull back his forces and launch a powerful counterattack against the units out in the open. Open terrain is actually perfect for fast, mounted units. The problem is that units like the horseman work too well in rough terrain instead of being penalized, leading to problems.

There's another thread about this in the Strategy Discussion so I'll just quote myself from there.

Spoiler :
I've been saying open land should be 0%. Now I'm starting to think -33% makes sense.

The fact of the matter is that open terrain isn't meant for anyone, but especially not slow moving melee troops, archer troops, infantry, riflemen, and whathaveyou. Let's take this example.

A unit of spears enters and ends their turn in open terrain and another unit of spears of equal promotion attacks them. UnitA is caught off-guard and unprepared, putting them at a huge disadvantage.

However, say that UnitA had fortified their area. They're at less of an disadvantage but they're still fresh troops and may be from a culture not suited for fighting. This is completely ignoring flanking bonus.

This applies more than just to spearmen however. A charge of any melee unit against another, unprepared melee unit in open terrain should spell trouble for the unprepared unit. But if that unprepared unit has combat experience in the open (Shock Promos) and are battling a lesser-trained unit, they can survive and probably win in some cases. However, if the other unit has shock promos as well....you run into the same deal with the previous paragraphs. They're equally trained but one side is unprepared.

Why don't horsemen get the penalty? Because they're far more mobile. Sure, they run into problems when attacking spearmen but otherwise, them not being penalized for being on open terrain makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is the fact they're not penalized heavily enough for being in rough terrain and their strength needs to be reduced by one so that spearmen can take them down reasonably.

Right now, horsemen can smash anything, anywhere. Give them a strict penalty for attacking rough terrain and coupled with the no defensive modifier, they're always operating at a disadvantage on rough terrain and can easily be taken down by spears still.

Let's take a recent scenario I played for example. North Africa is mostly open terrain. The technology is WW1ish right now. Playing as the Ottomans, I invade Egypt. Using mostly infantry and artillery.

I was surprised when my infantry were smashed near Alexandria by another infantry unit. Even more surprised when an artillery battery did so much damage on my other infantry but it makes sense when you think about it. In open terrain, the guy with the longer range weapons (artillery) and faster units will dominate.

Artillery is the bane of an GI's existence. With accuracy promos, its a game changer. Ahriman is completly right. The defender has the advantage of choosing where to defend at. In this case it was in a heavily-defended city surrounded by wide-open desert. Perfect for artillery.

Alexandria, without the AI even knowing it, was impossible to take. Infantry and artillery would be shredded to pieces before they reached the city. The only way someone could've taken the city was through massssive shore bombardment and airpower coupled with artillery pieces and several dozen infantry units ready to die once the fighting starts.

The only way to take that city was to have it ready to be taken by the time cavalry/tanks rolled in. In open-terrain, the guy with the longer ranged weapons would've won and the guy with faster units would've won.

-33% makes perfect sense. What doesn't is the OP horseman strength and the fact they, probably many other mobile units, don't receive a penalty for attacking rough tiles. If they got a penalty attacking rough tiles, then they would stay in the open where only their counter units can take them down.

If a spearman unit says gets a 100% bonus fighting mounted units and the horseman's strength was reduced to 11, then on even terms, the spearman will win. A spearman should be using shock promos mostly in any case so they don't have to worry about shock promoted horsemen. It almost becomes an arms race between the two units to who has more shock promos but in the end, a prepared spearman unit with the same amount of shock promos should be able to beat a horseman unit.

I think defenders should be entrenchment bonus for every turn they are fortified until about +33% bonus. Maybe 10% per turn? I think the default -33% defending on open terrain is fair if the unit just arrived in that tile and then gets attacked. That simulates an ambush or otherwise getting caught with your pants down. However if you fortify it should be 0% not -33% and then if you stay in place you should get entrenchment bonuses. Real life troops would set up defenses if they were left in an open field. Not just stand their with their swords in the air....

I think defenders should be entrenchment bonus for every turn they are fortified until about +33% bonus. Maybe 10% per turn? I think the default -33% defending on open terrain is fair if the unit just arrived in that tile and then gets attacked. That simulates an ambush or otherwise getting caught with your pants down. However if you fortify it should be 0% not -33% and then if you stay in place you should get entrenchment bonuses. Real life troops would set up defenses if they were left in an open field. Not just stand their with their swords in the air....

Pretty much agreed with you there. That's what I was thinking when I started thinking about why the penalty would be -33%. The AI needs to be taught to entrench its forces when it fears its going to be invaded soon.

Forts built on open terrain only reduce the penalty to -17% by the way.

Top Bottom