My custom civ - Project Discussion

Will think about it. The palace is last on my to do list.

You misunderstand, it's no problem at all. You have a lot of good ideas.

It's just that I will have to balance the palace against the rest of the civ. And that requires the civ to be complete first.

There has newer been a mechanic that works like the :health: for Creation mana one I have no idea yet how strong it can get.

I have a suggestion.
maybe banana and sugar could be added to their usable ressources.
I mean, those are not trees, but kinda like big thick corn sprouts that have a different output.
they are not grain per-se but are vegetables that have a flexible trunk... almost as corn, weat, rice, but thicker.

As those are thicker, maybe the could be used as pre-requists for some stronger units (that need thicker threads/beams... than just weat)

That is a good idea. You saw that one perfectly. I would have missed it.

In light of it, I think I will base damage off creation mana and duration off fire mana.

Or maybe have X be [Fire mana count] but Y be ([Fire Mana count] / 2) * [Creation Mana count].
That, along with creation mana count for turn duration should do it nicely.

Or, more realisticly:

What do you think?

Sounds good, the exact numbers need to be playtested of course.

I'm not sure how strong Divine + Blaze 2 is supposed to be. Along the lines of Fireball and Maelstrom (2nd Tier Arcane) or more like Pillar of Fire and Crush (2nd Tier Divine)? Perhaps you could have it summon a pseudo-fireball with no or almost no attack strength and a promotion which causes it to pass the "promoX" promotion to units in combat. Whether you make it pass the promotion only to the unit targeted or to the entire stack depends on how powerful you imagined the spell to be, in any case it'll usually target the strongest defender in the stack first which is probably what the player wants and you don't have to worry about how to make the code target the right unit.

When does Chalid become available? I newer quite plaid with him. I am usually a OO player.

At Religious Law I believe. Though of course you'll have to have teched Honor as well.

Your hero should probably be somewhat weaker then Chalid (or come later) since unlike Empyrean your civ has other things going for it as well.

And I think you should give him +1 Creation affinity, not having any base strength is a severe disadvantage.

Concerning the Palace: You should give it some Health, Alteration (for Creation mana) comes much later than Animal Husbandry...

One more thing: You might have already thought of this but perhaps you should give them access to Dispell at KotE? Otherwise they'll be unplayable with wildmana enabled...

At Religious Law I believe. Though of course you'll have to have teched Honor as well.

Your hero should probably be somewhat weaker then Chalid (or come later) since unlike Empyrean your civ has other things going for it as well.

And I think you should give him +1 Creation affinity, not having any base strength is a severe disadvantage.
agreed. for the spell i propose the severed soul model. already looks like a wierd fireball. :D

Concerning the Palace: You should give it some Health, Alteration (for Creation mana) comes much later than Animal Husbandry...

One more thing: You might have already thought of this but perhaps you should give them access to Dispell at KotE? Otherwise they'll be unplayable with wildmana enabled...
suggesting to make alteration or a similar tech the req, thats still sooner than sorcery and therefore sooner than most other civs.
btw. metamagic could also be the third mana. that guarantees them them the ability to dispell (although not before sorcery) on any map soon or later

I'm not sure how strong Divine + Blaze 2 is supposed to be. Along the lines of Fireball and Maelstrom (2nd Tier Arcane) or more like Pillar of Fire and Crush (2nd Tier Divine)? Perhaps you could have it summon a pseudo-fireball with no or almost no attack strength and a promotion which causes it to pass the "promoX" promotion to units in combat. Whether you make it pass the promotion only to the unit targeted or to the entire stack depends on how powerful you imagined the spell to be, in any case it'll usually target the strongest defender in the stack first which is probably what the player wants and you don't have to worry about how to make the code target the right unit.
It's Tier 2 Divine.

Since I won't be introducing any new religions I will use Blaze 2 as a substitute for the religious requirement. Either that or just make the spell be [my race] + Divine. With only 1 unit in the world being able to learn it there should be no difference.

True, true. Does base strenth 0 balance it out somewhat?
Also, I wanted the unit to be buildable via a ritual in the late game (pass through the ether or equivalent)

That could prove interesting.
So far I only thought of giving him +2 Fire affinity and letting him benefit from the racial promotion that gives +10% per fire mana to my mele units.
This and the ability to learn Fire 1-3 and Blaze 1-3 and he gets divine.

Will think about it. As said, need to see how it will work out when all the other stuff is in.

I did, they will have 2 Tier 2 spells.

Blaze 2: Transforms any mana source into fire mana. Removes any nodes in the tile.
Creation 2 (Rebirth): Transforms animal resources into grain resources and any mana source into creation mana. Removes any improvements in the tile.

I think that should cover it.

PS. Yes I know they can get and use any type of mana but are limited to Fire and Creation for spells. And yes, I do know that it means that in a pinch, they can convert away from the other manas they use for the passive bonuses to Fire or Creation, but that it is a one way street.
It is intended to be that way.

I think +2 Fire, +1 Creation, 0 base strength + spells at Pass though the Ether sounds about right.

And I don't think the Mana switching spells are unbalanced, though you might want to delaz them.

Well yes, they require Mages and the appropriate mana tech.

I had quite a few things to say at the start, but they've pretty much been taken care of in the first 8 pages. All that's left is "when will it be finished?"

As soon as the new patch for RIFE comes in with the health mechanics I need.

To all whom it might concern.
I have an idea and need to see what you guys think.

Since my civ has no mounted line, I figured they need some sort of high mobility force.
So what do you think of me making the scout line into skirmishers (like the scions) but without a decrease in movement speed?

I like it. There are a lot of recon civs in the game but the scions are the only ones who are using their recon units as skirmishers. Never hurts to break with common patterns.

Any other design ideas besides giving them the Skirmisher promotion?

Well, the idea is that I would give them +Withdrawl chance, Skirmisher promotion and the same benefits from fire mana as the mele units (+10% strength per source).

That should make them quite capable of fighting.

Update: Idea for both Scout and Hunter replacements:

:strength: Same as normal + 1 and +10% per Fire Mana
:move: Same as normal, maybe normal +1
Free promotions: Blitz, Skirmisher
Unit is capped at 60% or 70% damage.

What do you people think? It should give them a good line of skirmishers that can hit a lot of targets at once but can't kill. The can't kill factor will also mean they can take on multiple units in the same stack if they do win.

Excellent idea! I really like the damage cap.

Perhaps you could give them the Commando promotion rather than +1 movement? It seems more thematic for them to move faster in hostile terrain than in the wilds. On the other hand that might be op...

Both OP and would defeat the purpose.
Since +1 :move: = +1 attack as well, since attacks always use 1 :move: regardless of movement costs. And they need to run away from animals since they can't kill outright.

since attacks always use 1 :move: regardless of movement costs.

Yeah, forgot about that. Really doesn't make much sense this way. But shouldn't units with damage cap still be able to kill in defence?

Indeed, hence the two main strategies would be:
1. weaken with skirmishers and finish off with normal units.
or
2. weaken with skirmishers than run up that hill with a forest on it for extra defense.

Top Bottom