Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

war elephant is clearly using the naresuan's elephant rotated slightly...

seriously, they both seemed to be based on this pic of a carthaginian war elephant miniature

it's not a direct overlay in all aspects like some of the other images but the elephant positioning is a match (flipped horizontally - the artist seems to be a big fan of that)

A few extra ones, these ones were just visual images used as reference, I don't think there's any liability here on any of them. Just as an insight into development.

Monty, colors at least.

Kamehameha

Askia, the colors at least.

Izzy, likely whoever animated her also took in consideration Kate Blanchett.

Oda (?)

Nebu

Suleyman perhaps.

Again, Firaxis did not broke any laws with these images, the animators did an extraordinary job animating the diplo screens. And despite Kamehameha, most world leader's animations were apparently based on multiple visual, as well as written references.

Despite the obvious copying, I think having such animations was one of the best things about Civ5. Showing the original photographs proves that since a rendered photograph is better than what we've seen previously. Nice work all.

Jet Fighter

I like to think I saw this one quickly, this is the most iconic photo of the F22 Raptor out there. Imo they did some work on this one, but you can see the general resembleance...right? btw the probe at the front of the plane is a test probe which was removed on military models.

Floating gardens(first result on page 2 of "floating gardens" GIS):

Circus(first page "circus tent" GIS)

Courthouse(first page "courthouse" GIS)

Lighthouse( 6th page "Lighthouse" GIS) -on second thought this one's not too close

Bank( Page 9 "Bank Vault" GIS)

This is fun!

Wow, amazing job, guys! :goodjob: I'm shocked that some of the less obvious ones were actually found.

I tried finding some more, but no luck so far. :(

Uh kind of half-assed that the artists just copied the sources, of course in some cases (like Sydney opera house) it's the only way probably, but stuff like the paperboy is just embarrasing..

How much do you think is just using a filter and how much is using as a reference? If it's the latter, that's what I would have done too.

How much do you think is just using a filter and how much is using as a reference? If it's the latter, that's what I would have done too.

Some of them use the lesser known Illustrator's Live Trace tool. Photoshop filters are too well known as an international sign of lazyness. Live trace is somewhat similar, definitely far more useful, yet less known to the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvnd3m5aYBs

Some of these the illustration were probably done with a tablet on top of the photo, sort of a rotoscopy process, others like the David show signs of the Live Trace tool.

Top Bottom