Rise from Erebus 1.4 Bug Thread

Playing a game as Luchuirp. It appears the dwaven bonus for -1 movement cost on hills and peaks was not working...in fact it appears moving onto a peak takes all movement (had a scout with mobility 2 and took all 4 movement if he moved onto a peak).

First of all, thanks for the great work. You guys have really done well extending FFH - love all of the content!

Don't know if this is a bug or not..my family and I spent the last week trying to play co-op MP RIFE several times. We've done this for years in FFH, FF, BTS as well as Civ V. Usually we do well, but we ran into real problems with walls of barbarians (for the most part) in the ~3 games we played, to the point we really were bogging down and decided to start over (thus the 3 games)...we thought we really needed to just learn more about the civs we were playing. But by the third time, I had to wonder if it was a bug, or a feature :)

Specifics - MP co-op, as mentioned. Huge map, 12 total players (9 AIs). The three of us were playing Hamstalfar, Mekaran Order and Mechanos. The last game made it to turn 197.

In all of the games, it seemed like the open areas that weren't controlled by civs really were exploding with barbarians after 100-150 turns. But in this last game I had a situation which was quite the opposite (it seems) of this comment:

AI Problems
Barbarians, Scorpion Clan Goblins especially, seem to have some problems. They will attack anything that moves beside them, but rarely will they move deliberately at cities. Orcs from the "Savage" clan do not seem to have this problem.

Over the course of several turns, starting about 190, I had a constant parade of scorpion clan goblins come down a passage between some mountains and coast. Stacks ranging from 3-8 in size, one new one appearing (at the furthest range of my viewing on the map) each turn, heading directly towards one of my cities. 7-8 turns in a row. Overwhelmed both towers I had manned (no surprise) along the passage, and I ended up with more than 30 of them pouring into my territory.

I don't *think* that they were coming from Acheron (I think he was in the other direction) but haven't investigated that. There was a new barbarian city in that area that had cropped up after I had lost my most distant tower...but I think it appeared after the "parade" started.

Is the high volume of barbarians after the first 100-150 turns expected? Is such a huge army something that makes any sense? I've never seen the barbarians with such a force in any version of civ. Is this an artifact, perhaps, of playing in MP? I know some comments have been made about MP not working well..

Thanks again. I know you guys are moving on, but may have one last patch in the works. We are trying to decide whether or not playing RIFE MP co-op is a lost cause for us or not. Either way, though, great work on the modmod, again :)

Ive been playing a lot of RifE recently, the barbarians can build up a sort of backlog over a long period of time and then sort of reach critical mass and invade, a lot depends on placement, some games I am not bothered by them much, others I am swarmed by them, the key is to just have a good force to fight back at them, forts are useful, but they tend to get overwhelmed to easily, I just fight them at the city walls with a group of axemen/archers/catapults, depending on what techs I have done, the other key of course is destroying lairs, they are worse than barb towns for spawning them. also make sure you dont have orcish swarms turned on. I can affirm that the multiplayer is a lot of fun, as its mostly what I play anyway, I dont know wether its you guys playing in a team thats causing it, it could be the fact that you are. I know most of the time I prefer to not start teamed up, but thats down to preference unless its the cause.

I don't believe this has been stated yet, but just like the aforementioned Dwarven movement discount on mtns/hills, the Dunespeak promotion for the Malakim is not providing the movement discount in desert tiles. Which makes them really slow to mobilize since roads are not an option in the desert for them.

Wanted to let ya'll know! I can't stop playing this, lol. :)

It's quite possible that the backlog explanation would fit. I explored up the passage I described, then set up a mage in a tower, and turned back towards my city to deal with incursions from another direction. If there were quite a few huts generating goblins on the other side of the tower out of my view, it's possible that they became "aware" of me and all headed over to attack.

We were actually playing coop but non-team, so I don't think it was that.

I was playing the Mekaran Order, and had been focusing on Mages and Battle/War Sluga. Most of the other military is pretty weak, however, some xbowmen certainly would have helped in this defensive scenario. Sometimes I play weak on defense because I'm usually on the offense. Perhaps for RiFE I need to prep a little more on the defensive side to handle these massed barbarian incursions :).

The difference I find in RiFE so far, is that the barbarians are a far bigger worry than the other civs. Also, with Acheron much stronger and earlier than in FFH, it's pretty tough to be able to do anything about him..

I've been getting this a lot:

FATAL_ERROR
Memory Allocation failure-exiting program
Reason:bad location

Any ideas on how to fix this?

also, I had Fall From Heaven II, then downloaded Rise from Erebus, but didn't download any updates and I keep hearing about them here. Should I or were they put into the whole mod for people to download all at once recently? I ask because, I downloaded it last year. And if you're asking, yes, yes I am a noob to all of these mods and modmods stuff. Haha.

I've been getting this a lot:

FATAL_ERROR
Memory Allocation failure-exiting program
Reason:bad location

Any ideas on how to fix this?

there are only few ways how to fix MAF ( Memory Alloc Failure ) ... it's basically drawback for lategame on big maps with lots of players while playing a mod with lot of stuff and features .. there are some fixs mentioned on this (civfanatics) forum, so if you search for "MAF error", you can find some solutions, but these are just postponing the error, no permanent solution

the thing i'd recommend is to play on smaller maps or with less players

also, I had Fall From Heaven II, then downloaded Rise from Erebus, but didn't download any updates and I keep hearing about them here. Should I or were they put into the whole mod for people to download all at once recently? I ask because, I downloaded it last year. And if you're asking, yes, yes I am a noob to all of these mods and modmods stuff. Haha.

well, you just have to download that one big file, since it's major version ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373629 ) ... and no, there's no patch as of this moment ... if i recall correctly :D

Is there a way to get a version with subdue animals/beasts working? I tried the public and development SVN with no luck. I'm wondering if reverting the new capture system in the dll is something that is practical to go in and do manually.

Right now I'm going into the world builder to manually give myself the unit every time I should have captured one, but I'm finding opening it up so often is taking some of the fun out of it even if I discipline myself to learn as little as possible from the revealed map.

I miss it a lot ! Capturing Acheron is an ingame chalenge I like especialy in RFE since he is stronger.

In my games units with the marksman promotion seem to be automatically defending any stack they are in. I did a little testing and found that they defend whether the marksman belongs to the AI or the human player. It does not seem to apply to units that don't naturally have the promotion when I use the worldbuilder to give it to them. I only checked it out outside of cities.

I'm not totally sure this is a bug. It's the first time I had ever used visible marksman units, so maybe it has always worked this way and I just didn't notice when they defended the AI stacks too soon.

The explore (Automated) function is acting wierd. The unit go to another unit and group with it then I have to give the order again next turn.

I noticed at least one script has trouble running because I have Civ IV installed on a non-default location.

I also get a harddisk error at certain points, apparently the game is trying to access a directory that doesn't exist. I'm not sure what's causing it, specifically.

I got this same error in The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion when there was a series of files that referred to texture files that /did/ exist, but the directory references were improperly formed, referring to a specific drive(and an unusual one at that).

E:\Whatever
instead of
\whatever

Already know the issue here, and it will be fixed during the next two days (two days off).

Basically, there was an updated capture system in the dll, but the promotions weren't switched over. Since that system isn't going to be used anymore, we're just swapping it back to the old method in a patch.

Any news on this patch? I've updated to Revision 303 from the Public SVN, but subdue animals still doesn't work. For how much I love this game, it's a painful loss. I've done my best to try my hand at digging into the dll as Valkrionn implied, but I'm not skilled enough to do so myself yet. Any suggestions on how to get started?

Cheers to all those involved on this truly epic game!

Had the old version on my computer forever, decided to update. Mistake;

Loss of subdue animals function was huge bummer for me, loved the pokemon feel of collecting as many animals as possible. Is there a fix for the issue or is there an earlier version to download? Tried looking but failed, all other older links have died :(

I've encountered a strange bug since I'm using the last version of RifE.
My Workers won't do anything :confused:
Handpicked commands, auto-workorders... it doesn't matter.
They leave the capital for one turn and then return to it, no matter if there were an enemy or not.

Is this some sort of known bug? Or are some xml-files of mine corrupted?

Hey Articnightwolf, thanks for helping me out there, I haven't been on in a long time, haven't gotten time to play. I saw some ways to deal with the problem, a lot of it is out of my league, sometimes I don't know half the the stuff they say, so I call in a friend to help out and it's better. But, now there's something else going on, I know, I know, full of bugs all the time, it sucks. It's probably because of my computer, it's kinda old, but when I'm playing and it's late in the game, like, 170 turns left on marathon, the game just decides to close itself and go to desktop. I've gotten that before a loooong time ago, but forgot until now. Any idea why?

I've encountered a strange bug since I'm using the last version of RifE.
My Workers won't do anything :confused:
Handpicked commands, auto-workorders... it doesn't matter.
They leave the capital for one turn and then return to it, no matter if there were an enemy or not.

Is this some sort of known bug? Or are some xml-files of mine corrupted?

Well... I "reinstalled" the latest version of RifE, but the problems still remains :(
Could someone give me an advice on that topic? :/

^
No workorders there somehow... but this strange "cast en-en-en-Enrage" stuff, which I can't remember where it's from :(

as i see the number of posts concerning it, i should probably ask Valkrionn about the subdue animal hotfix progress ...

Well... I "reinstalled" the latest version of RifE, but the problems still remains :(
Could someone give me an advice on that topic? :/

^
No workorders there somehow... but this strange "cast en-en-en-Enrage" stuff, which I can't remember where it's from :(

it's MLP module -- it's used only as an example and should be always disabled

also - the workers won't work on automate because they can't carry out any order, so it seems like a bug with your installation, anyway, try to remove/disable MLP module first

ScreamAimFire said:
Hey Articnightwolf, thanks for helping me out there, I haven't been on in a long time, haven't gotten time to play. I saw some ways to deal with the problem, a lot of it is out of my league, sometimes I don't know half the the stuff they say, so I call in a friend to help out and it's better. But, now there's something else going on, I know, I know, full of bugs all the time, it sucks. It's probably because of my computer, it's kinda old, but when I'm playing and it's late in the game, like, 170 turns left on marathon, the game just decides to close itself and go to desktop. I've gotten that before a loooong time ago, but forgot until now. Any idea why?

just like that ? if there's no error message, then you should probably check the installation of rife/civ4, if they are ok, then it might be a memory error, which you can detect with some program for memory diagnostics, otherwise than that i don't know - getting regular CtDs around turn 170 seems to be awfully soon ...

just like that ? if there's no error message, then you should probably check the installation of rife/civ4, if they are ok, then it might be a memory error, which you can detect with some program for memory diagnostics, otherwise than that i don't know - getting regular CtDs around turn 170 seems to be awfully soon ...

What should I be looking for exactly, though? And what program should I have to do the diagnostics? not at a 170, when there's around 170 turns left until a timed victory. Yeah, it's very frustrating, I once went to worldbuilder and just started deleting things from the map, it worked, for a while, but eventually it happened again, managed to win but I was constantly saving the game in case it'd crash again.

Top Bottom