Stop at a certain age

By core - I meant things developed by Firaxis as opposed to mods.

To be more clear: simple implementation will cause imbalance between civs, and balancing the feature would require too much effort. So I'd prefer development team to focus on other things and leave this feature to modders.

Balance? On a create map check box option? Who cares?

Not only is this option easy to implement, but it will have absolutely no impact on your game, unless you choose to check the box.

If this were a simple mod, I wouldn't care. It isn't, at least for Civ 4 it wasn't. Would be easy for the devs to implement it as they are making the UI, DLL, etc though.

Maybe, just maybe, without the huge stacks, late age might be better

You make a good (hopeful?) point. I like the modern age. I did not like the sheer number of units I needed to shuffle around the map just to play "Mop Up the World".

Civilization: Colonization, mate.

I would love to see some colonisation in CiV, but I don't think it would happen because of the standalone spin-off. However, they should at least incorporate some sort of colonization that's not too detailed and in-depth, but nonetheless can be identified as colonising.
I know. Already got it (Well I bought it to my father, but hey). I would love to see it in Civ5 regardless.

Sure quite often at some point I realise the map is won and cant be bothered to play it out but I dont really see what the problem with that is. Say Im mildly on top after consolidating my early acquisitions and once the guy who was trying the cheeky cultural victory has offered to vassalise without my being dog-piled it's just a case of working out which condition can be fulfilled quickest. Then I'll often just quit out.

What I do not really see it what the benefit of locking out the game at an earlier point would be. If you have defacto won there is no benefit. If it turns out to be a game that goes down to the wire the game is ruined when it ends at a critical moment.

Sure quite often at some point I realise the map is won and cant be bothered to play it out but I dont really see what the problem with that is. Say Im mildly on top after consolidating my early acquisitions and once the guy who was trying the cheeky cultural victory has offered to vassalise without my being dog-piled it's just a case of working out which condition can be fulfilled quickest. Then I'll often just quit out.

What I do not really see it what the benefit of locking out the game at an earlier point would be. If you have defacto won there is no benefit. If it turns out to be a game that goes down to the wire the game is ruined when it ends at a critical moment.

The benefit is that you get to climax the game in your desired timeframe.

For some people it isn't merely about winning, it is about playing out specific ranges of scenarios.

It can be really hard to replay a WW2 style game when all your units are made obselete before they can be built and shuttled across the map. The same goes for any era.

And it doesn't matter that they are going to balance the tech progression.

Being able to end the game in specific age has advantages that simply can not be gained any other way.

Every time i play i always get bored when i reach the modern ages. I always start new games because i only find the beginning and the middle of the game fun - between stone age and industrial.

Same, most of the times modern age is really boring, I still play it because I want to finish the game, but I'm not having much fun as in the previous ages.

I think the solution shouldnt be to stop the game with gunpowder, but rather to change the modern age and make it not boring..

Damn, and i thought such a mod existed already and all i had to do was come here and download it but I see now it has not been created. Is there maybe a customization addon that resembles this in some way out there

I would like this feature also.

I love ancient and middle age battles :king: ... not so interested in modern times.

This is the reason I play scenarios, but after a few times you already know most of the map and tricks.

A custom game with a research "era limit" would be great.

JB

Maybe, just maybe, without the huge stacks, late age might be better

This is what I'm thinking. I dislike the modern age in other civ games because of the stacks of doom and how long turns take between two stacks of 50 tanks, ship bombardments, and then bombing runs.

OT: I don't see how this feature could be a con in any way, whether you use it or not.

i endorse this idea.

by the industrial age for me it gets a bit dull. The world is explored and crammed. I like the early ages because of mystery and expansion

I'm not sure if there's another thread like this, but i have a suggestion for the civ5 developers.

Every time i play i always get bored when i reach the modern ages. I always start new games because i only find the beginning and the middle of the game fun - between stone age and industrial.

My suggestion for the developers is to be able to set a certain age (stone age, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial or modern) as a stop. For example, if you choose renaissance as the final age, you cannot go any further in technology - only play between stone age and renaissance and that's it.

I'm sure that i'm not the only one who loves to play with the early gunpowder units and airplanes, and then gets bored once there's modern armors and nukes all over the place.

Thanks! :goodjob:
You remind me of a similar and very good thread at Pre-Civ4 release time.
Because Civ3 allows spawning cities, many in this forum were talking about "Snowball" effect, that means human player become incredibily powerful (and can have large number of cities) at late stage of the game and make the game very boring, basically all AI players are relatively too weak.

Then there were a lot of suggestions as how to bar the cities spawning which turn out to be city maintenace fee in Civ4.

But now, many, including you still find Civ4 gameplay is monotonous at late (modern age) stage. To me that means user's opinion in the past regarding city spawning cause snowball effect which then cause modern age gameplay dull is WRONG! Because otherwise city maintenace fee should have made late stage no more boring in Civ4.

If I were the developer of Civ5, I will make use of STEAM's achievement reward system. Because CIV5 is confirmed to be bound with STEAM system and STEAM 's achievements system is one of main reason they gain such a big fanbase, I think if Firaxis makes use of the system and gives quite a number of achievements which can only be claimed at modern age, then there will be something for players to pursue and that should at least make late stage somehow interesting (though not by competing with AI players)

You remind me of a similar and very good thread at Pre-Civ4 release time.
Because Civ3 allows spawning cities, many in this forum were talking about "Snowball" effect, that means human player become incredibily powerful (and can have large number of cities) at late stage of the game and make the game very boring, basically all AI players are relatively too weak.

Then there were a lot of suggestions as how to bar the cities spawning which turn out to be city maintenace fee in Civ4.

But now, many, including you still find Civ4 gameplay is monotonous at late (modern age) stage. To me that means user's opinion in the past regarding city spawning cause snowball effect which then cause modern age gameplay dull is WRONG! Because otherwise city maintenace fee should have made late stage no more boring in Civ4.

CivIII modern age gameplay had 1. city sprawl and 2. large stacks of troops = incredibly monotonous.

CivIV modern age simply had 1. large stacks of troops = still monotonous, but much less so than III.

..so user's opinions about what made dull gameplay were CORRECT. Civ IV just did not take it far enough to reduce end game army sprawl. Hopefully now with V's troop size reduction it improves more.

EDIT: a lot of people don't give a crap about Steam achievements. Their outside achievements would in no way make me enjoy Civ endgame play more so.

Yes, this is a mod I often played in Civ III (stop at the end of the age of sail era, before ironclad), but I never had the time to make it for Civ IV (and didn't see anyone else make it either, though I may be wrong).

It would be so great to have this in some drop-down menu! :)

i'm actually kinda hoping they will just make the modern and future age more fun and less stagnant, but if they fail at that this would be a great idea. maybe just an exciting twist on gameplay even if they succeed in livening up the modern days.

Would you want to add in new victory conditions?

The first to build the Columbus expedition for tech.

The first to steam powered industry for econ.

Would you want the map creation to focus on single, large land masses that would allow for the conquest victory within a given time, and with limited tech?

I love the Modern Era, but sometimes, I want to end a big war medieval style, so good idea

CivIII modern age gameplay had 1. city sprawl and 2. large stacks of troops = incredibly monotonous.
CivIII modern age gameplay had 1. city sprawl and 2. large stacks of troops = OK for me (I don't find both of them a trouble or making the game dull)

CivIV modern age simply had 1. large stacks of troops = still monotonous, but much less so than III.
..so user's opinions about what made dull gameplay were CORRECT.
NOT TRUE.
I have had more than 100 cities (I don't remember the exact figure) in Civ4 huge map.
I felt asleep while playing Civ4 late game. It is much worse than Civ3 in term of monotonous.
So, user's suggestion is WORNG at least in the hope that banning spawning can cure late game monotonous. It actually worsen it!

and...

Fixraxis fail to curb big number of cities by city maintenace fee.

Civ IV just did not take it far enough to reduce end game army sprawl. Hopefully now with V's troop size reduction it improves more.
Civ4 has taken the wrong direction in order to make late game less dull and that is partly due to user's suggestion.
Firaxis's intention is good but changes in Civ4 is in the wrong direction.
The idea that by making human players relative weaker (make them very difficult to have huge #cities, huge army) and hope they find late game more challenging is simply CRAP.
They should instead add more rewards in the late game. Gives achievements, honours whatever human player has successfully done at that stage...

EDIT: a lot of people don't give a crap about Steam achievements. Their outside achievements would in no way make me enjoy Civ endgame play more so.

Prove it!

Top Bottom