Korean Civ + Ancient Worlds Civ BUNDLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again and again I see the DLC prices compared to the Warlords- and BTS-expansions. Guys, that was 5 years (4, regardnig BTS) before now! Did you ever encounter a concept called "inflation"? It doesn't exist in Civilization games only!

I also think it's ironic that it's compared to BtS. BtS was the gold standard for expansion packs. It's far and away above average. Warlords is a better example, but, even better than that, compare it to Civ3: Play the World. Would you prefer PTW or DLC?

btw, for those who are interested here is the summary response from STEAM:

Sorry, but you are SOL.

Thanks for your money, sucker.

Sorry to hear that. Better luck next time.

Hehe, I did the same thing hehe, oh well, live and learn. To be honest though, what's 5 bucks anyways, I spend more everyday just buying lunch, and you don't have to eat a DLC! A MLT maybe :)
I'll probably go and buy the proper pack just to complete the deal for the deal's sake, but I kinda agree, kinda not. I'll just spend more time thinking about my purchases rather than get all excited and run out and buy next time. Getting all mad and stuff won't solve the problem and just makes for a bad day for no reason. Heck, some people have no money at all and can't enjoy what we enjoy. Cheers!

Guys, you don't know me from Adam, but if you did you would know that it is 100% not about the actual money.

It is the principle. Its a FUBAR system -- you shouldn't be able to rip your own self off if you happen to be a bit rushed or absentminded.

If you are buying the two exact components of an existing BUNDLE, you should just automatically get the BUNDLE price. Its as simple as that.

Guys, you don't know me from Adam, but if you did you would know that it is 100% not about the actual money.

It is the principle. Its a FUBAR system -- you shouldn't be able to rip your own self off if you happen to be a bit rushed or absentminded.

If you are buying the two exact components of an existing BUNDLE, you should just automatically get the BUNDLE price. Its as simple as that.

Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that. Businesses exist to make money. They offer specials and discounts to help bolster their sales but many places won't give you a discount if you don't ask for it. That is just how it works. Some places will change it afterward if you ask for it but most won't.

Obviously in this situation there is nothing you can do to change it. Complaining about it isn't going to do anything either. Just accept that this time, they got you and move on. Pay better attention next time and don't be so impatient.

Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that. Businesses exist to make money. They offer specials and discounts to help bolster their sales but many places won't give you a discount if you don't ask for it. That is just how it works. Some places will change it afterward if you ask for it but most won't.

Obviously in this situation there is nothing you can do to change it. Complaining about it isn't going to do anything either. Just accept that this time, they got you and move on. Pay better attention next time and don't be so impatient.

Fortunately, the world works like this: if there is enough impetus and will -> a tipping point if you will, then you can effect change.

Otherwise we would still be living in the dark ages where rulers, tyrants (or businesses) would run roughshod over people and unwitting consumers.

My message to STEAM: you can f*ck people over only for so long until they vote with their feet (and dollars). I have a voice and I have every right and intention to use it.

Not surprised, I get frequently confused at steam with their offers, especially when there are bundles and such. So I usually spend a few minutes being absolutely sure that I'm buying the right thing, which is especially good idea with something like Civ5 DLC's, since suddenly it's something just utterly useless to me that's bundled in and I'm not interested to pay extra for.

They really should have refunded you though, not doing that is just low. Shouldn't cost them anything to refund and withdraw the two dlc's you bought, and then let you buy the bundle instead. Problem solved and one customer happier.

I agree that others shouldn't be able to rip you off and I agree it would have been the nice thing to do to fix it for you, but I don't agree that companies have to take every precaution in the world to prevent individuals from making mistakes. Like I said, I found the bundle easy to spot. It was a dumb mistake. I'd say laugh it off and don't make it again. Now I agree Steam should have handled this better, but I think that's only as a courtesy, not as something automatic.

Actually many online shopping sites with automatically apply bundles and things if you've otherwise picked up the right items for them.

UPDATE!

After relentless emailing, I got a refund! (STEAM store credit) which I promptly used to re-purchase the DLCs under the bundle leaving me the balance as store credit.

I am a very happy customer. Again, it was always about doing what was "right" rather than the money, and I feel very justified in my efforts to set things "right".

OK, so I am an idiot, but should that cost me 2 bucks?

I mean if I select the same exact CIVs offered in the BUNDLE, shouldn't I automatically be offered this price?

I mean, WTF?

No offense but throughout history being an idiot has cost way more than $2. Glad you got this resolved though! Sometimes it's the principle and not the magnitude.

Again and again I see the DLC prices compared to the Warlords- and BTS-expansions. Guys, that was 5 years (4, regardnig BTS) before now! Did you ever encounter a concept called "inflation"? It doesn't exist in Civilization games only!

I'm pretty sure, you have something like this in the USA, too. At least in Germany, there is actually 3-4 % a year. Nowadays, things will cost (roughly calculated) 20% more than five years before now. So your 40$ Warlords expansion will cost about 48$ today. That's more than one DLC plus!

I think it's quite unfair to comapre old day prices with nowadays calculation...

Since the Civ3 days, Civ has has Vanilla > full priced expansion 1 (1 year later) > expansion 2 (2 years later)

Except the 1st expansion usually only add new civs, new buildings and incremental change.

Both Civ3 PlayTheWorld and Civ4 Warlords, are considered small steps to the final expansion. So most people paid $60-80 assuming expansion pricing is anywhere from $29.99 to $39.99 for the the 'add on content'. Obviously people who waited 3 years and got the eventual 'gold' editions got the best deal, but well, what's the point.

If Civ5 follows this pattern, any big changes will still be at least a year away, and we'll get small snack sized DLCs. The nice thing is, they just replaced the 1st expansion with extra patches and new buildings in each patch and DLC for new Civs. And I'm fine with that.

Moderator Action: Closing this thread since agoodfella has had the issue resolved and the more general discussion about DLC can be continued in the DLC Model Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom