[BtS] Wolfshanze's Revolution

Updated the RevPythonAdjust1.3.0 to 1.3.1

After further testing today I concluded it depressed the Distance penalty a little too much. The Distance penalty is upped about 10% from 1.3.0 (Only a couple of people would have downloaded that version since it's only been up a couple hours, but making a note of it anyway).

Edit: minor change to PythonRevAdjust now v. 1.3.2. Decreased the # of default civs at start up, got tired of closing all the extra civs, and I don't think the game should really be played as a default 12 on a standard size map. Like the regular default map start, this can obviously be adjusted when you start a custom game to your liking. And as an added bonus this will also make quests that require a certain ammount of buildings have more logical req numbers. Though for the Huge map, it's still probably too many, but I don't want to bring the default number of civs on a huge map down to less then 14.

Further Edit: PythonRevAdjust v 1.3.3 up. Tweaked up the CityDistModifier another 10%. That should be it. Let me know if anyone thinks it's too high now.

just wanted to let you know i download all your mods with all the add-ons. the wolfrev works fine alone. when i add the spy+ inquisition the game CTD right before it gets to init engine on the loading screen. ive downloaded and reinstalled a couple of times now with the same problem.

In the middle of compressing the 1.1.1 version. I've noticed alot of downloads without RevPythonAdjust downloads, which means alot of users are playing with the default Rev Indexes. IMHO those are a little broken, and frustrating, so I'm updating it to where the adjustments are default, and an add on will restore them to Revolution Default functions. I'll need to remake the add ons for 1.1.1 and will be able to test this then. Should be a couple of hours.

Thanks for letting me know, I don't want any CTDs. Didn't notice any on my end, but didn't test the Spys + Inquisitions this time, it was basically a straight port from 1.0.5 and didn't think I needed to. Of course you know what they say about assuming.

For now try installing the Purifier and see if that fixes your CTD, if it doesn't that would be really odd, let me know...

Updated to WolfRevolution 1.1.1 Oct 31, 2008
This change was made due to increased downloads from adding the mod to the database, with very little downloads of the RevPython Adjust add on. IMO the default Rev Indexes are crippling and reduce the enjoyment of gameplay, so my changes have been added by default. For those wishing to play the WolfRevolution mod with the base Revolution indexes, download and install the Revolution Python Purifier Add on.
Changed default Wolfshanze mod base slightly, mainly to account for Early-Mid Renesaince Era Beelines of Fascism:
Spoiler :
Added Steam Power tech req to Communism
Added Military Science and Tradition reqs to Fascism
Swapped Rifling req with Artillery Req for Pre-Dreadnought
Swapped Steel req with RailRoad Req for Ironclad Battleship
Tweak to corps-- Cereal Mills upped to +1 food per resource consumed

To restore WolfRevolution versions 1.1.X to Wolshanze 2.85 base; download and install the WolfRev Wolfshanze Purifier AddOn. This is not compatible with the optional add ons.

Last major version update was:
WolfRevolution 1.1.0 Updated to Wolfshanze 2.85 Oct 28, 2008
Notes on 1.1.X:
Spoiler :
Wolfshanze 2.85 is not 2.84 save compatible. This means WolfRevolution 1.1.X is not 1.0.X save game compatible. Finish your game before updating if you're currently in the middle of a 1.0.X game.
Adjusted Wolfshanze techs and units slightly:
Moved Engineering req from Gunpowder to Muskets--Added Engineering req to units this affected
To make gunpowder useful in it's own right, added Fireworks National Wonder (+1 Happy in all cities)
Added Education req to Chemistry
Added Literature req to Education
Removed redundant muskets tech from Cuirassiers (all variants)
Changed Hwacha to bombard replacement (Civilopedia says it's a gunpowder unit)
Turned off all DCM affects by default. To toggle these on adjust them in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file
Fixed Nuke Issue. Manhatten Project is back in the game, and nukes should work now.
Fixed a minor issue with the RevPythonAdjust AddOn, it now applies the building modifiers properly.

Installation:
WolfRevolution uses the NSIS installation program to install. So for most people there are no complex instructions to follow. The main WolfRevolution Mod installer uses a script and follows the BTS registry, this means for 99.99% of people it will install properly. However the Add Ons install to a predefined path. If your BTS files are in an odd place, make sure you account for this when installing the add ons.

Known Bugs:
WolfRevolution is actually entirely stable. However there are a few mostly aesthetic bugs.
You cannot bombard from friendly territory, you must enter nuetral or hostile territory to bombard city defenses.
The BUG mod ignores minor civs, a newly formed civ must gain the right to diplomacy before being posted on the scoreboard or showing on the BUG mod specific displays.
On large maps the scoreboard can get a little messy looking.
Multiplayer is pretty buggy and is not considered supported (Though it will work), for instance other human players can see your revolution displays and pop ups.
While the Super Spies add on works, the text is screwed up, and does not properly display the effects of spy promotions (though the promotions do work correctly).
Artillery Bombard DCM option is bugged, and should not be toggled on. If you like Artillery bombard, see page 5 for a tutorial on how to add this into the mod.

Hypothetically spoken, if I want to play the latest Rev mod (pure) with your python additions, will there be such a download or will I have to try to merge it by myself?

The WolfRev Wolfshanze Purifier does not contain the Python Adjustment files, so installing it wol't change that aspect. You will need to install both the Wolfshanze purifier and the Revolutions purifier to restore both to default. Also the Revolution Python adjustments are found at the bottom of the second post, if you just want to apply them to any given Revolution based mod.

Edit: For those interested, I broke the Inquistions add ons for 1.1.X because I forgot to update the ArtDefinesUnit.xml file from 1.0.X Really noob mistake there, sorry to anyone who downloaded either, they are fixed now. On the plus side it was an easy fix, and doesn't require any work on the user part to fix it, just reinstall the updated add on.

FYI... BetterAI 0.41 is out, which fixes some rather nasty crashes I'm experiencing in WolfRevolution 1.1.1... I realize it could be a big deal to roll a new version of this mod... drop us a note when you have a chance to integrate the latest BetterAI changes into WolfRevolution.

Updated to WolfRevolution 1.1.1 Oct 31, 2008
Changed default Wolfshanze mod base slightly, mainly to account for Early-Mid Renesaince Era Beelines of Fascism:

Swapped Rifling req with Artillery Req for Pre-Dreadnought
Of course you're free to do whatever you want with my work on your end, but I just wanted to mention I thought long and hard about where to place ships on the tech tree, both for placement that "made sense" and to give as much "breathing room" for each class of ship before the next generation shows-up. Now I know just the name "Artillery" makes sense for big-gunned pre-dreadnoughts, but I had to look at gameplay issues here and timing of those techs.

I don't agree at all with moving Pre-Dreadnoughts to Artillery over rifling for multiple reasons...

#1, it's a significant enough separation, that (depending on tech progress choices) could significantly delay the arrival Pre-Dreadnoughts compared with Protected Cruisers... Protected Cruisers and Pre-Dreadnoughts are based on the exact same technology... one is simply bigger/stronger then the other, but neither uses technology the other does not. It's the same reason I always hated that in default Civ4 Destroyers came well before the battleship, which is pure BS... They are the same technology, just used on a different scale. There was no "Age of the Destroyer" followed by the "Age of the Battleship"... they were around at the same time... same thing for Protected Cruisers and Pre-Dreadnoughts... there is a well-known "Pre-Dreadnought era", but there was never a "Protected Cruiser era".

#2, The Artillery tech generally shows-up around WWI timeframe, or is at-least the pre-req for WWI naval units (Dreadnoughts and such). As with anything on the tech tree, timing of when someone gets a tech is highly flexible with game strategy, but pushing Pre-Dreads back to Artillery puts them dangerously close to WWI Dreadnought tech and makes their lifespan in-game incredibly short.

In-short, you're separating two units based on the exact same technology and putting Pre-Dreadnoughts dangerously close to WWI Dreadnoughts that they'll have little lifespan in-game.

Normally, I don't mention 3rd party changes to the Wolfshanze Mod, because hey... you guys can do whatever you want with it... but on this one particular change, I did think long and hard on the placement of the pre-dreadnought age... and (IMHO) gameplay-wise, I think the current placement works well. Certainly at the very least, they should come at the same time on the tech tree, even if you debate when that time should be.

I've long-thought of adding some sort of "Pre-Dreadnought Age Tech" to the tech tree... but I've never known exactly where to put it and what impact it would have on other techs in the game... as you guys know, I'm not really fond of adding a bunch of new techs to the tree (I currently only have two), and if I add a tech for Pre-Dreads, how would it impact the rest of the tech tree (would people be forced to study a naval tech if they were a land power to progress?) The two most-obvious techs I could add that would be (more or less) pre-dreadnought techs would be propulsion (triple-expansion engines) or firepower (turret design or naval ballistics)... but I consider the triple-expansion engine covered by "Combustion" and I'm loath to insert yet another firepower tech (which would probably come between rifling and artillery), because I think artillery comes late-enough in the game as-is.

In the end, I've been mostly satisfied with the existing techs to cover the naval progression on the chart. Who knows... maybe one day I'll think of a better solution... or not... :dunno:

FYI... BetterAI 0.41 is out, which fixes some rather nasty crashes I'm experiencing in WolfRevolution 1.1.1... I realize it could be a big deal to roll a new version of this mod... drop us a note when you have a chance to integrate the latest BetterAI changes into WolfRevolution.
That's not good. I didn't release this mod until it tested completely stable on my end. I've ran about 3 full test games (using Auto AI) now, and never had a CTD. What kind of CTD are you having, what add ons are installed?

There really shouldn't be any. The base mods this is merged from are completely stable, and the only stuff I did in the merge was cut and pasting Python or XML, neither of which should cause a CTD. And I have never experienced one. I know Better AI .40 caused a crash, but that was fixed in .41, and it's not included anyway (this used the previous version of Better AI).

Anyway, I haven't released a new version for WolfRevolution because the core glider just released didn't have Super Spies being optional. I'll release the next version once Super Spies, and Inquisitions can be optional additions to gameplay.

@Wolf --I'll switch Pre-dreads back with the next update.

Well, it's not going to happen now. As glider1 has stated RevDCM will contain Super Spies by default now. Overall, I think that's fine, since Super Spies doesn't really alter core gameplay. I am however going to wait for the official 0.96 release of RevDCM now, since the current version availble is a "testing" version. Should be up in a day or two.

Edit: It's been a few days since the test release, and no reports of problems with any of the components, or the main RevDCM build. I'll put out the next version sometime tommarow. It may or may not be save game compatible, that's all contingent on if RevDCM 0.95.1 is save game compatible with 0.96. Not anything within my control.

I wanted to wait for the improved Inquisitons add on, but I don't know how long that'll be. I don't want to wait any longer to update to the latest versions of Revolutions and BetterAI, along with the unofficial patch.

That's not good. I didn't release this mod until it tested completely stable on my end. I've ran about 3 full test games (using Auto AI) now, and never had a CTD. What kind of CTD are you having, what add ons are installed?
Unfortunately I didn't preserve the auto-saves after the crash since I assumed it was closely related to the problems in BetterAI 0.40. Those are now overwritten and I'll have to see if I can recreate it another way.

Updated to WolfRevolution 1.1.2 Nov 7, 2008 -Updated RevDCM component to 0.96
*1.1.2 is only save game compatible with WolfRevolution 1.1.X versions that applied a Super Spies Add On. If you did not apply a Super Spy add on, finish any game you currently are playing before updating to 1.1.2. If you did apply a Super Spy Add On, you may continue your saved games. However, remember to reapply the Inquisition add on if were playing with inquisitions (otherwise it will break save game compatibility). This patch will not work for WolfRevolution versions 1.0.X, you must fully install WolfRevolution 1.1.2 if you are playing a version prior to 1.1.0
-Super Spies Mod Component added by default (To remove download and install Wolfshanze Purifier Add on)
-Fixes Artillery bombard bug in friendly territory
-Fixes issue with Spy promotions text displaying incorrectly
-Updates Better AI, Unoficial patch, and Revolution versions to current builds
-Swapped Arty req with Rifling for Pre-Dreadnought, Per Wolfshanze request

WolfRevolution 1.1.2 patch *Updates WolfRevolution 1.1.X to WolfRevolution 1.1.2 See above for Save Game compatibility issues.

Updated to WolfRevolution 1.1.2 Nov 7, 2008 -Updated RevDCM component to 0.96
*1.1.2 is only save game compatible with WolfRevolution 1.1.X versions that applied a Super Spies Add On. If you did not apply a Super Spy add on, finish any game you currently are playing before updating to 1.1.2. If you did apply a Super Spy Add On, you may continue your saved games. However, remember to reapply the Inquisition add on if were playing with inquisitions (otherwise it will break save game compatibility). This patch will not work for WolfRevolution versions 1.0.X, you must fully install WolfRevolution 1.1.2 if you are playing a version prior to 1.1.0
-Super Spies Mod Component added by default (To remove download and install Wolfshanze Purifier Add on)
-Fixes Artillery bombard bug in friendly territory
-Fixes issue with Spy promotions text displaying incorrectly
-Updates Better AI, Unoficial patch, and Revolution versions to current builds
-Swapped Arty req with Rifling for Pre-Dreadnought, Per Wolfshanze request

WolfRevolution 1.1.2 patch *Updates WolfRevolution 1.1.X to WolfRevolution 1.1.2 See above for Save Game compatibility issues.

No clue if this is just your mod or the real Wolf mod as well but none of the new leaders appear to have any first meeting text attributed to them. Not a biggy as it doesn't show up as some sort of "TEXT_ERROR", just blank.

The current Revolutions build has it so that when you start as minor tribes you don't get the initial meeting, for any leader. If this is outside of a start as minor tribes game, I probably overwrote a relevant text file in the merging update. If so, I'll try to get a fix out to that, could you clarify?

The current Revolutions build has it so that when you start as minor tribes you don't get the initial meeting, for any leader. If this is outside of a start as minor tribes game, I probably overwrote a relevant text file in the merging update. If so, I'll try to get a fix out to that, could you clarify?

I'm not playing with the minor tribes option and it only appears to happen with the new Wolf leaders. We meet for the first time and there is no text under their leaderhead, just the standard declare war or keep the peace options.

They have text, but not enough. So sometimes the random welcome screen doesn't show any other pointless dribble saying "Hello CIV X".

Well, I can fix that. It's kind of annoying though, I'll need to remake and upload a 380MB file to just add like 1kb of text...

Thanks for brining this to my attention though. It'll take me a few hours to track down the right text file, and rebuild the Installer, and get it uploaded on file front.

Well, I can fix that. It's kind of annoying though, I'll need to remake and upload a 380MB file to just add like 1kb of text...

You could just make a revised patch for the short term and save the FULL re-tooling for the next real version.

Top Bottom