Ask Dennis Shirk about Civ V: Gods & Kings (submissions closed!)

Perhaps they are timing the release of answers for some marketing reason. It is hard to wait though...

Yes it is there are way too many unanswered questions. The speculation about the game is insane.

Both WPC and Apolyton have submitted their questions.

Do you have any idea how long ago that was?

Perhaps they are timing the release of answers for some marketing reason. It is hard to wait though...

I thinx the one of the reasons maybe :

That there are a lot of question where the developers done't know if they are allowed to answer it from the company 2kgames or firaxis.

Pretty sure thats why it is taking so long filiring what they want to give away and what not.

I'm certain that they've sold interviews to various media outlets with the caveat that those outlets be given access to exclusive info. If they answered these questions too soon it may be breach of contract with outlets which haven't revealed their exclusive content yet.

I'm certain that they've sold interviews to various media outlets with the caveat that those outlets be given access to exclusive info. If they answered these questions too soon it may be breach of contract with outlets which haven't revealed their exclusive content yet.

there were so many questions we were able to send in 'extras' just in case you're right on that.

Of course, if they 'sold'/'promised' the answers to every Q, it's going to be a while :(

I imagine the questions would have to go from Dennis to marketing, then back to Dennis, then the same with the answers. With GDC happening at about the same time.

there were so many questions we were able to send in 'extras' just in case you're right on that.

Of course, if they 'sold'/'promised' the answers to every Q, it's going to be a while :(

Is there a final list of what was sent in?

I believe he said he was going to reveal the questions at the same time as the answers. ;)

I'm not sure who the "he" refers to there; I mean the submission from CivFanatics, rather than things from Firaxis and Dennis Shirk directly.

That would just be a compilation of some of the stuff that is in the thread I should think and perhaps also some things that we sent privately and not posted.

I wondered what the final submission from CivFanatics looked like.

We'll see soon enough anyway.

I'm not sure who the "he" refers to there; I mean the submission from CivFanatics, rather than things from Firaxis and Dennis Shirk directly.

That would just be a compilation of some of the stuff that is in the thread I should think and perhaps also some things that we sent privately and not posted.

I wondered what the final submission from CivFanatics looked like.

We'll see soon enough anyway.

I was just saying Camikaze said he was going to release the Q's at the same time as the A's.

I sure hope it's soon, seems like Firaxis is taking a long time, although it's probably just the due process of things.

I was just saying Camikaze said he was going to release the Q's at the same time as the A's.

I sure hope it's soon, seems like Firaxis is taking a long time, although it's probably just the due process of things.

OK; thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully it will be soon and we can also get a solid release date. The end of May would be good, if those suggestions turn out to be true.

OK; thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully it will be soon and we can also get a solid release date. The end of May would be good, if those suggestions turn out to be true.

Amen. Just the anticipation for this expansion has me quiverin' in me boots!

I would take anything said by Dennis Shirk with the degree of scepticism normally reserved for snake oil salesmen.

He's basically a spin doctor.

I would take anything said by Dennis Shirk with the degree of scepticism normally reserved for snake oil salesmen.

He's basically a spin doctor.

We're hoping that the questions we submitted are not quite as vacuous as the type asked by some gaming sites that would allow for nebulous answers. I also assume marketing would realise that answers for an audience of Fanatics need to be more informative than those for a general audience, if they are to be taken well. :)

I just hope we don't get a lot of generic "well, we really can't discuss that yet, but we're super excited for what we have in store for you!" answers. They better give straight answers for most of the questions instead of dodging them.

I just hope we don't get a lot of generic "well, we really can't discuss that yet, but we're super excited for what we have in store for you!" answers. They better give straight answers for most of the questions instead of dodging them.

Haha, or else . . . what? Honestly, it's that kind of attitude that will keep them from trying things like this or wanting to say anything. Why do you think they are afraid to give specific release dates for patches any more? Because of that one time something happened in the last minute and they had the nerve to delay it by a few days and people started acting as if someone ate their puppies.

Haha, or else . . . what? Honestly, it's that kind of attitude that will keep them from trying things like this or wanting to say anything. Why do you think they are afraid to give specific release dates for patches any more? Because of that one time something happened in the last minute and they had the nerve to delay it by a few days and people started acting as if someone ate their puppies.

All we want is new info.

If all of the answers are gonna be "we can't discuss it yet" then people will be angered.

And that's why we don't have answers yet. If they released the questions and answers right now it would be a long list of "We can't talk about this right now".

I garauntee that they promised exclusivity to various media outlets in exchange for publicity. If they just dumped out all the answers, the media outlets wouldn't have anything that would make you click their links and give them advertizing dollars. So they won't do anything to help Firaxis with publicity if Firaxis stabbed them in the back by giving out the media outlets' goods (exclusive info) for free.

Not to mention the "if I tell you now, but change it later, I will look like a liar" business. Nothing is set in stone until the product is shipped.

While I too an disappointed by the time it is taking to release the answers, we have gotten a pretty steady steam of NEW Info, especially from GCD previews and interviews with Dennis.

Civ fans are a relatively smaller and more mature community, but fans of video games in general act like entitled brats on the internet. As a result, companies have come up with a way to deal with internet fans by running a tight ship, because it is easier to surprise and meet expectations rather than tease and raise expectations. And knowing how OCD some fans are, any amount of teasing will lead to expectations being so high, they will invevitably be disappointed.

Not to mention the "if I tell you now, but change it later, I will look like a liar" business. Nothing is set in stone until the product is shipped.

and even then it can get a Day 1 patch that changes things. :mischief:

anywhom... I'm sure they're sifting through the Qs for possible As and deciding which questions can be answered (even minimally) and which ones can't.

While I too an disappointed by the time it is taking to release the answers, we have gotten a pretty steady steam of NEW Info, especially from GCD previews and interviews with Dennis.

You act like as if we haven't had anything new since the announcement.

This kind of hyperbole is why marketing has to be super vague about dates and never promise anything. There used to be a time when they felt they could give fans straight responses but got burned by the fans over-reacting when things happen that changed the facts or something got delayed.

I'm not talking about civ fans specificlaly mind you, I think we're a relatively smaller and more mature community, but fans of video games in general act like entitled brats on the internet. As a result, companies have come up with a way to deal with internet fans by running a tight ship, because it is easier to surprise and meet expectations rather than tease and raise expectations. And knowing how OCD some fans are, any amount of teasing will lead to expectations being so high, they will invevitably be disappointed and rant about it on the internet.

I think you might've misread my post, I wasn't commenting on the waiting, I was responding to the post above me, who was very criticizing of the the post above his.

Top Bottom