Anyone got a good save game to post??

zappkiller

Chieftain
I am looking for a good .sav file from around end of ancient or begining of medievel era on the difficulty monarch or above.. It was over 10 years ago I played civ 3 and I seem to have lost my skills cause I remember beating the game at monarch and now I get owned at regent.. So I would love if someone could post their .sav file so I can check see how you guys play.

I am looking for a good .sav file from around end of ancient or begining of medievel era on the difficulty monarch or above.. It was over 10 years ago I played civ 3 and I seem to have lost my skills cause I remember beating the game at monarch and now I get owned at regent.. So I would love if someone could post their .sav file so I can check see how you guys play.
here is a game on monarch

start and a few later saves.

It is on normal map with normal rivals barbarians random and you are persian

ps don't tell me what happens if you play. I have not had time to play it.

Attachments

• Xerxes of the Persians, 4000 BC.SAV
    43.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Xerxes of the Persians, 90 BC.SAV
    132.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Xerxes of the Persians, 1305 AD.SAV
    255.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Xerxes of the Persians, 1395 AD.SAV
    260.3 KB · Views: 115
It was over 10 years ago I played civ 3 and I seem to have lost my skills cause I remember beating the game at monarch and now I get owned at regent.. So I would love if someone could post their .sav file so I can check see how you guys play.

Start by building a warrior for protection, or your game might be over quickly. No AI starts war early in the game, UNLESS they see an undefended city. Put science on max and research something that you can get before the AIs, so you can trade it. If you have alphabet, research writing. If you have alphabet and masonry, research mathematics.

Then build a few scouts (if you're expansionist) or warriors and send them out to 1) explore where you want to build next and 2) find at least 3 AI to trade technologies with. On lower levels such as regent and monarch, there's no rush to find AIs so you can explore from your captial outwards in a circle and eventually find them. But on higher levels you have to send them straight north/south/west/east to get contacts fast and not fall behind in the tech race. Check the global map to see where you are, there's no need to scout south if you're almost at the south edge. If you have alphabet, consider building curraghs instead because they move 2 steps per turn or 3 if you're seafaring.

1 food = 1 shield: either irrigate to get an extra food or mine to get an extra shield. Shields give you instant power while food give you EXPONENTIALLY future power, so if you don't need instant power, go for food. The goal of the game is to expand/grow and growing by 3 in a city will exponentially increase your power compared to growing by 2. It's like putting your interest right back into the bank. Just make sure that you always work fully developed tiles, otherwise build a worker in the city. A citizen working a grassland with 2 food and nothing else (or a plain with 1 food and 1 shield) is completely useless because he eats that 2 food himself. Developing tiles gives you EXTRA that you can use for building, gold and/or growth.

Food is important especially in the beginning of the game. You need to pump out as many settlers as possible until there's no more free land and you're surrounded by AI cities, or you have so many cities that corruption is too high to make it worth to build more. The only use for shields in the start of the game is to protect your settlers and cities. A settler is an investment of 20 food and 30 shields = 50 total, so make sure you send a couple of warriors or a spearman with it.

Catapults are the most important unit in your military. Research mathematics. With just one hit on an enemy spearman's HP, it will retreat out of your borders and you've risked no shield loss at all. If you instead attack it with an archer and have a 50/50 chance of winning, you've lost 10 shield, half of the archers cost.

Not to hijack the thread but I was curious if anyone else is/was able to consistently achieve victory on Emperor or above? I've only done it a couple does out of about a dozen and it seems almost impossible without lucky resource locations.

Not to hijack the thread but I was curious if anyone else is/was able to consistently achieve victory on Emperor or above? I've only done it a couple does out of about a dozen and it seems almost impossible without lucky resource locations.

After you have city protection, build an army of at least 4 spearmen, 10 catapults and 6-7 archers/horsemen/swordmen and start taking your neighbours cities. Bring 3 workers too, to connect your land with the captured cities. Keep producing military units and send them along the road to protect these new cities, so your army can march on uninterrupted.

But first you have to drain his land of spare units. They'll start coming within 5 turns after you declare war, so you may want to declare before your army is complete to save time. Another way to save time is to get your enemies neighbours to ally against him, if you have something to offer them. Then he won't send all his units in your direction. When no more enemy units are coming and your own units are rested, enter enemy territory and walk towards the first city.

Catapults can't cross jungle, marshlands or mountains, so either send 3 or 4.5 workers ahead before you declare war, or walk around that terrain. 9 workers is probably too much to take with you, they could be working 9 tiles in your cities instead.

1 gold = 1 happy face = 1 unit upkeep. A citizen working a fully developed mined grassland or irrigated plain with 2 food, 1 shield and 1 gold, eats the 2 food himself and needs the gold to be happy, so you only make 1 shield on such a tile, no gold. To afford supporting your army you must 1) build next to a river and get 1 extra gold per tile 2) build a harbor and work coast tiles or 3) build more cities. In despotism each new city gives you 4 unit upkeep, 1-3 automatically content citizens and the centre tile worked for free = 7-10 gold! If you defend it with 1 or 2 military units (not catapults), they each make one person content so they're basically free of upkeep.

When your cities get larger and you have to use the luxury meter, keep the city sizes coordinated. Build your workers and settlers in the cities that are too happy, until your empire doesn't need more workers/settlers atm, then crank up the luxury meter one more step. The farther a city is from the capital, the more corruption, which means that the luxury meter doesn't affect it as much as the capital. So generally the capital will be your biggest city, surrounded by smaller and smaller cities. The exception is cities next to a river or working coast, which will get a lot of luxury.

If you don't desperately need a technology, wait until a lot of the AI (but not all) has it, buy it cheaper than if you researched it yourself, and trade it for other techs with the AIs that don't have it. 2-3 techs for the price of 1/2. After this you'll probably have so much gold per turn going to other civs that you can't afford to research, but at least put 10% or a scientist into it, research the most expensive tech and you'll get it after 50 turns.

...and don't leave your army's catapults undefended. That's 10 * 20 = 200 shields you lose if they get captured and destroyed. Keep them together in a stack and always have at least 2 spearmen and 2 other units defending them. If one of your archers/horsemen/spearmen has to leave the stack to kill an enemy unit, let one of the 2 extra spearmen go out and defend it.

Build next to tiles with bonuses first, develop them and always work them. While a grassland, plain or forest only give you 1 surplus food/shield, a tile with cattle give you 2-3 surplus in despotism. That makes a lot of exponential difference in the beginning of the game and it's way more important than connecting luxuries which only give you 1 gold per city.

If you're playing on an 80% water map or at a high difficulty level, you don't have time to build workers to develop tiles in the beginning, because you have to get settlers out quickly. Work undeveloped tiles and let your starting worker connect all cities with roads so you don't have to build as much miltary units and can focus on settlers. A city with 2 spearmen can defend many other undefended cities around it if they're 3 tiles away and connected with a road. During this settling period, there's no need for your cities to grow beyond population 3 (unless there's a lot of bonus tiles around it). When it reaches 3, don't work 3 undeveloped grasslands, that's crazy. Put 2 of the citizens on forests, or undeveloped plains if there's no forests around.

The AI will never build a city if it can't fit all of it's 3x3 tiles outside of other civilizations territory, so you can claim land for your future cities by building at smart spots, for example 4 tiles from the coast. The AI won't pack a city between that city and the coast, so you'll have all the time in the world to build a coast city later. Another way of building is just far enough from your your capital that it leaves 2 no-man-land tiles in between, then settle there later. But those cities will be 6-7 tiles away from the capital so the capital won't be able to help much in defending them unless you have horsemen, impis, jaguar warriors etc.

Before you let a city grow to population 7, build enough workers to develop 12 tiles around it, then later join them back into the city when it has reached 7 or more. Above polulation 6, a worker costs 40 food + 10 shields = 50, while at pop 6 or below it only costs 20 food + 10 shields = 30, so if you make a worker for 30 resources below pop 6 and join it instead of growing/using 40 resources above pop 6, you get +10 for free.

If you have one or more cities with 4 or preferably 5 surplus food, invest in a granary and make it a settler/worker factory. A granary costs 60 shields but it doubles it's city's surplus food each turn. With 5 extra food you'll have the investment payed in 60 / 5 = 12 turns, and after that it's all bonus.

Make remote civilizations go to war with each other and keep them fighting so they won't build city improvements and wonders. If India is technologically backwards, establish embassies with their neighbour(s) and declare war on them, then establish an embassy with India and trade tech(s) for miltitary alliance(s). AIs often break these agreements so make sure that a peace treaty is part of it (the civ has to declare war on you to break the agreement, which makes you happy instead of them getting happy when you declare on them). When they break it, make peace with the other civs around and get an alliance vs India cheap or for free, because after all the fighting they hate each other.

On emperor, but probably not on higher difficulty levels, you can beat the AIs to an important early wonder by building your second city on a good spot with a lot of bonus grassland or even nicer tiles, and start a palace pre-build if there's no wonder to build yet. Let it grow to 5-7, develop it's tiles before it starts working them and keep it happy first with 2 military units then the luxury slider. You'll lose some momentum in growing in the beginning (only one city making settlers instead of two) so make sure that the wonder is worth it:

The pyramids cost 400 shields and give you a granary in every city on the same continent, so if you're playing archipelago it's not worth it. It will be cheaper to build a 60 shields granary in every city. But on pangea and on large world sizes, it's a good wonder and it never expires.

The great libray is also good on pangea, because everyone will meet each other early and techs may be traded faster than you can keep up with. On archipelago though, you can keep up in technology just by getting a lot of contacts with 3-4 curraghs then trading, so you can put those 400 shields into something better (the great lighthouse).

Seed: 26385307
Tiny, No Barbarians, Pangaea (80% Water), Normal, Cool, 5 Billion.
Scandinavia, Least Aggresive, Emperor.

Trade Code of Laws with Rome to enter Middle Ages.

Seed: 57175624
Small, Roaming, Archipelago (60% Water), Wet, Cool, 3 Billion.
Carthage, Most Aggressive, Demigod.

This is 5 turns after researching monotheism and trading it for feudalism, engineering and some gold. All civs are at tech par except france which got invention this turn. Economy is low atm because of all the workers, but that will change when they join the cities, libraries are built and the golden age is started. If you want republic you may want to get rid of half of the numidian mercenaries and half of the trebuchets guarding cities. Send them to the soon to be taken aztec cities and to guard the coasts of a big scientist farm somewhere.

I'm rallying my spare troops in the capital for an attack on the aztecs and a palace jump to teotihuacan when the forbidden palace is built. I just need some attackers, i'm not sending numidian mercenaries because i don't want to start the golden age yet. The three main cities has barracks and is alternating between building horseman/medieval infantry and worker to stay below pop 7. I'm keeping them there for an easier palace jump, then i'll join workers into them and start the golden age. The other cities are building library-worker(s)-aqueduct.

Good:

* I got a scientific leader from code of laws and rushed the pyramids :)
* The aztecs only had me as a contact for a long time so i was able to trade different techs with them (and at full price) than with the other civs.
* Some wars was declared on me while i had a weak military, for refusing to give up monarchy and some broken alliances, but i've only seen one galley, from sumeria, and it was killed by barbarians before it could land.

Bad:

* Two simultaneous barbarian uprisings from the south was a problem for 5-6 turns, but it seems to be solved with some numidian mercenaries fortified and patroling on mountains. When they become elite, i replace them with a veteran.

1 food = 1 shield: either irrigate to get an extra food or mine to get an extra shield. Shields give you instant power while food give you EXPONENTIALLY future power, so if you don't need instant power, go for food. The goal of the game is to expand/grow and growing by 3 in a city will exponentially increase your power compared to growing by 2. It's like putting your interest right back into the bank.

Actually the reason for growing is to be able to work more tiles that give you gold and shields. When you reach 6 pop without an aqueduct or 12 without a hospital, excess food has no value. You can make scientists, taxmen etc, but they only give you 2 or 3 gold while eating 2 food, that's not a good deal unless the city is very corrupt. A city with only irrigated grassland or flood plains will have no building power at all. It will take forever to build important improvements such as library and marketplace, or military units.

You should have both 3 food + 0 shields tiles and 1 food + 2 shields tiles in a city's radius. As long as you can grow without hitting 6/12 population, working undeveloped tiles or the next citizen becoming unhappy (and you don't want to increase luxury for your entire civilization), work the 3 food tiles and grow rapidly. When you're done growing, switch enough citizens to work forests or mined plains to get 0 surplus food in the city, and build your improvement or military units.

That's why changing to monarchy or republic early is important. Before that, you can't irrigate grassland. Or get 1 extra shield from hills.

Sorry for highjacking this thread.

Alright, I'll bite. Let me tell you all the story of my most recent (current) Deity game. Unfortunately, I didn't save in or near 4000 BC, so my first shot is from the end of the landgrab:

Spoiler :

All of the settings are random, and this map could conceivably be continents or archipelago. It is standard size, though, and the generator seems to have crammed five of the eight civs onto this small continent. The positions are really tight here. Beijing is just to the north of Lugdunum in this shot! Entremont (though I didn't know this at the time), is three tiles NW of Novgodorod. Lisbon is just across the bay from Petrograd. Wow. Even worse, we among all these sardines had the luck to draw the cold start! Ouch.

However, there are some bright sides to this start, enough, I'd say, to make it viable. Our land quality is bad, so bad that the AI ignored it until ALL of the rest of the land on this rock was claimed. Smart use of blockades then allowed us to take more than our fair share of land, at least in terms of number of cities – I think our 7 is actually tied for tops in the world, at least so far as we can see. Heh, not for long.

We've also got three luxuries, albeit only one of each. You can't see the Wines in this shot, but they are 2 NE of Novgorod, and far enough from the Chinese that they'll get pulled in by cultural expansion (the reason Novgorod exists). That's a reach, for sure, and the city will be a flip risk to Beijing and Entremont (both with ancient wonders) for a long time to come. If it works, though, that's enough luxuries to have a pretty secure happiness situation. We've also got horses at Moscow. No Iron (although had we bought the tech earlier, we COULD have beat China there), but the Chinese source is close enough to take over if we need to. All in all, the situation's not too bad.

I do worry about the other continent out in the black, though – those civs must have a LOT of land to expand into, and whoever wins over there will be a superpower down the road. Persia's got the Pyramids, so maybe it'll be them.

The Celts are, um, not in good shape. Portugal's start was SO cramped south of Entremont that they had to stop expanding after FOUR cities. Then the Celts went and built the Colossus in Entremont, as Portugal pumped military, and with ALL of the Celts' other cities buried in jungle... The result is that Portugal dropped the hammer on Celts, taking much of their core and putting existential pressure on the Celts. At this time, I fear a Portuguese superpower emerging, but also know that, even with my help, the Celts would be hard-pressed to hold off Henry. Even with the Celtic territory, though, the Portuguese would only have an equal number of cities to India and myself, so perhaps their emergence is not a certainty. The Celtic lands are tough to work, too, and won't provide much immediate boost – the human player would have had absolutely NO chance if shafted with THAT awful location.

At this point, therefore, I start training military. REGULAR archers, even – that's what I need to seize some of Brennus's territory before Portugal grabs it all. Getting Lugdunum off my border, maybe even securing Entremont to clear out pressure on Novgorod. Thus, this early war bent my game plan towards early militarism, as the only way to seize the opportunities that the Celts' collapse presents by pulling in some extra cities on the cheap.

Here's China's location. They're actually at war with India as well, or became so in my game shortly after this shot was taken. I was VERY fortunate that none of these AIs called me on my relatively low-military landgrab, instead pairing off in wars. Something about this cramped situation really seems to encourage militarism – there has been nonstop warfare in this game, from all sides, beginning at the end of the landgrab.

Here's what India looks like. Doesn't look like much? Ah, but they've got a solid core, a centrally located palace, easy lands to manage, and more lands than China. They could well be a strong enough size to make a large impact down the road, if left alone.

Second save summary:

Spoiler :

Here's my core in 390 BC. We threw nine regular archers at Lugdunum, which FAILED to take the city, giving me a heart attack. We had a few more archers in range on the second turn, which ALSO died – but, thankfully, I'd taken along some garrison WARRIORS as well, which were able to finish off the last few defenders and take the city! Wow, way too close for comfort there, as it had a Barracks and kept whipping vet spears and archers on me...

The Celts were eliminated quickly. I don't think they even made it to AD years. I wasn't able to take Entremont – maybe I should have tried to take it before Lugdunum. It would have taken Portugal a while to grab it, it being so deep within my borders. But I was absolutely terrified of failing to get the latter site, it being first-ring to my capital.

After the Celts died, of course a new round of wars broke out. I think India and China made peace (you can see Shanghai's been captured, as well as China's colony), but at some point near when I took this shot, India declared on Portugal. And, um despite completely swallowing the Celts' territory, Portugal doesn't seem to be in a good position to survive it.

Third save summary:

Spoiler :

By 270 AD, I've made my move with Ludgunum, stealing China's (excess) Iron! This city will be a major flip risk, but will pay off handsomely if we can hold it. In fact...

...it already has. Portugal was dying – lost two core cities to the Indians. They didn't seem likely to get peace anytime soon, so...I reasoned that the only way to deny their cities, and a further stranglehold on this game, to India was to take them myself. So, using my stolen Iron, I built tons of Swords and smashed Portugal (who turned out not to have Iron themselves, and were thus unable to offer India even token resistance).

Those Indian stacks, by the way, are clearly targeting Lisbon, moving directly south as possible. They'll nuke it if they get there in one turn, and the city has the Hanging Gardens. With my army holed up in Guimaraes, I figured that the correct move was to hit Oporto first, which would give us just enough time to smash Lisbon a few turns later with reinforcements from my core. That'll let me poach the rest of Portugal from right out from under their noses! From that point on, it shouldn't be too tough to take China's four mainland cities, by which point I should be strong enough to take on India.

Last save summary:

Spoiler :

Of course, they seemed to figure that out, too. Thus, a few turns after I took this shot, India SNEAK ATTACKS, despite our Gracious relations and MA vs. the still-living Portugal, with my army right next to Oporto! What masterful timing. India then proceeds to ignore the remnants of Portugal, and MIs por across the border. They smash Entremont easily, and advance on Novgorod. Not enough troops to hold that, either, so I retreat all of its units back to the new front line of Petrograd. India walks in, destroying my 80% completed Forbidden Palace! Ouch.

Okay, time to regroup. First, we make peace + ROP with Portugal, and get our army back to Guimaraes. Uh, eventually – MIs pour across the border there, as well! Most of them stop on the forest, where I'm forced to attack them with Swords. Eventually, though, the flood dries up, and my four surviving swords, two archers, and a handful of cats hole up in the city.

Meanwhile, reinforcements from the core turn the flatlands (thank goodness for those) next to Petrograd/Lugdunum into a killing field of Mis. I attack and kill any that I can reach without exposing swords to counterattack (and a few stacks that were large enough that I had to sacrifice a sword to get rid of them). India lands Pikemen on my shores to pillage my resources, but I shuffle my spears and warriors around and manage to stave them off, for the most part. My swords have BAD luck attacking them, and I lose a bunch to awful streaks without inflicting damage. Ouch.

I bring China into the war for a hefty GPT payment, and they take some of the heat off me by Shanghai, attacking with longbows and their own MIs. Eventually, I assemble 10 swords and a few cats, and attack Novgorod! We get some bad luck vs. their pikes, but take the city! Then, the victorious army hits Entremont with the survivors from Guimaraes, retaking that as well!

We then advance on Alesia, me hoping to secure a source of Gems. That goes HORRIBLY awry, though, as in the two turns it takes us to advance on the city, India pulls ALL its MI from the east and slaughters my swords. Only two manage to survive. I even lost a stack of five cats in that disaster. Wow.

Okay, we clearly can't attack there – the march is so long, we can't take the city before they can reinforce it. What about Shanghai, though? I move up my surviving swords + cats. As expected, India shifts all its troops over – but they're not quite close enough to make it in the city in time! My cats score 4/4 hits on the pike defenders (wow!), and we take Shanghai without a scratch. Then, we hole up inside – on a hill, and with India having to attack across a river, we manage to win about half the combats the next round, enough to hang on.

But then, India brings War Elephants to the fight! These swarm around Shanghai, and all win their combats thanks to +1 HP. India's in GA mode now, cranking troops rapidly, and I fear they'll overwhelm me and China. With 5 turns left on our MA, we need to get peace ASAP. This is when I took the most recent save, in 640 AD.

After that, we'll need to hit Portugal before India steals the last couple of cities. We can't expect China to resist them, or to be smart enough to sue for peace, so I expect me and India will be alone on this continent before long. Hopefully, by this point, I'll be well enough established to handle them. Taking the Chinese cities from them should provide a major boost, if I can swing it.

What about the other civs in the fog? Maya in particular has taken ALL of the wonders for a while now, and they're probably racing along to the Industrial age. That's scary. We need to build up our economic base ASAP, and hopefully start to kick our buying tech into reasonable gear. We've got NO infrastructure even in our core, having been cranking troops nonstop just to stay alive since the Indian attack. Here's what that looks like:

You can see I've restarted my FP, in Stalingrad this time. That's what I should have done from the beginning, to be honest, and planned on a later Palace jump to Petrograd. It'll take WAY too long to rebuild it in Novgorod, and I'm not sure that location is completely secure – a flood of Elephants could threaten to retake.

Here's my poachy Iron city. No, I didn't come up with the name “Orenburg” – that's actually what the game suggested! Wow.

You can see that I've actually built an Outpost. Never before have I seen this building be even comparatively useful to how strong this one is – it can see ALL of mainland China! With this, I expect we'll see a sneak attack from them coming a mile away, and can easily keep an eye on the China-India war if Chinese core cities start to fall.

Here's the Indian front. Once Shanghai comes out of disorder/resistance, I'll whip walls – that should be enough to help us at least kill SOME of the Elephants, with cat support. But we definitely need to get peace in 5 turns, for whatever we can, lest India's Golden Age production simply overwhelm us.

Here's the core of the Great Satan, looking VERY scary. Delhi's got the Great Library, though, which could be our saving grace from those civs out there in the fog. If we capture the city AFTER they contact us (Astronomy's already been discovered), we can pull a slingshot. IF we can capture the city.

Here are the current demographics. Note that we're fourth in everything, including LAND AREA. So the other civs out in the fog really ARE monsters, probably with two of them (Maya and Persia, presumably) having ganged up on and devoured the third. Ouch. Hopefully Maya doesn't blow past Persia by itself, or we'll have a Runaway AI on our hands as well!

Tech situation. It'd look much worse if we hadn't grabbed two techs from Portugal in the peace deal. Our peace with India should get us a discount on Construction/HBR, and we'll hopefully manage to get Feudalism as our free tech. That'd provide a major boost to our war effort. We need marketplaces yesterday, though, to have any hope of quickly recovering from this deficit.

And that's where we stand! Good luck – if anyone tries to play this out, let me know how it goes!

Here's a link to the savepack:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4lxw1lz2d4tu6h7/AAA8uUev0IRkbYlwTwqYBuHMa

Here's a peaceful game focused on science and with only just enough military to survive an attack until you can make peace a few turns later. Caesarea with barracks is replacing the regular spearmen with veterans. Nicaea and the soon to be founded city will be building 4-5 catapults. Libraries will have to wait some turns, securing the cities is first priority now that everyone has Map Making. Adrianople is building The Mausoleum of Mausollos for an instant golden age and Constantinople with a granary is responsible for builing workers, and a settler now and then when there's enough workers. Despotism and Monarchy only give you 1 gold per normal tile (with a road) but a lot of martial law possibility and upkeep per new town, so expanding is important, but Republic gives you 2 gold per normal tile so you actually make more gold by letting old cities grow.

I chose a civilization with Alphabet and got the Republic slingshot early. Since I started by a river and on a standard sized map, I could put research on max. On a larger map and without a river, I would have put Writing research on 10% and made some gold instead. I tried not to trade Alphabet, but when there was nothing good to build and I could get 6 other techs for it, I had to. I didn't trade Writing to anyone until I was 3 turns away from Philosophy.

When my two curraghs had found all the other civs, I disbanded them at sea to save 4 gold per turn. I don't need dromos for transport, there's plenty of land, and The Mausoleum is gonna start my golden age.

Never trade contacts, keep your opponents separated as long as possible. In this game everyone seem to already have contact with each other (they get new techs at the same time), it's unusual for an archipelago map and bad because we have to compete with our research speed against the combined research speed of many other civs. Besides starting wars, another good way to stall them is to do trading with a few tech leaders only. Don't trade Alphabet with the Inca and Iron Working with the Japanese, then they will trade those two techs between them. Trade both with one of them. When you're going for war you want many civs to keep up so you can trade with them, but when you're going for science lead you want as few as possible.

Despotism and Monarchy only give you 1 gold per normal tile (with a road) but a lot of martial law possibility and upkeep per new town, so expanding is important, but Republic gives you 2 gold per normal tile so you actually make more gold by letting old cities grow.

When my two curraghs had found all the other civs, I disbanded them at sea to save 4 gold per turn. I don't need dromos for transport, there's plenty of land, and The Mausoleum is gonna start my golden age.

Sry, that was some really bad decisions. I was way ahead in technology and had a lot of free land with not much more corruption, so I should've been doing nothing but expanding (every city building granaries, workers and settlers, and some military) and not caring about gold. Also I hadn't found the important iron so I should've kept the curraghs for exploring and be racing for The Great Lighthouse instead of The Mausoleum of Mausollos.

I rewinded to a save game 8 turns back and got a much better situation later with TGL, a colony with iron, and GA just started by declaring war with America (their galley was the first one i found, and they were probably going to settle on my continent).

Sorry for the offtopic, but maan, this thread! :crazyeye:

A lot of great advice here! This is even better that the War Academy pages on this site.

Bookmarked! :hatsoff:

(Not to be here for the spectacle or something, but it would be cool to see what ahman could make of the ljubljana situation :popcorn: )

Top Bottom