thinking of playing civ3

I just started playing as Scandinavia on a random map and I'm gonna try to go full military on longboats and take a colony. With the high settler cost and the reduced distance corruption this now seems to be an option :woohoo:

Glad you like it too! I've never played it on random map. There is also interesting change - the naval ships have a lot of movement, they reach over 20. It seemed like a strange change to me but after playing it started making a lot of sense especially when the New World colonization begun.

Here is a nice link that describes some of the changes, see the Basic Mod section at the left.

Both Civ3 and Civ4 are great games. Civ3 lets one create a large empire, founding 20 or 25 cities and conquering lots more. That sort of epic feel is just absent in Civ5.

But one of the little things that I like about Civ3 is the ability to cross mountains. No, they are not impassable; they have great defensive value. One can even build roads and railroads across them, which matches our real-world experience. IMHO, this game mechanic greatly improved the AI, since its movement calculations can be greatly simplified. The AI will even hug the mountains when invading, to make it harder for you to pick off its troops.

Top Bottom